Tivo VOX remote won't turn on TV from a distance first time

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Dchernikoff, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Dchernikoff

Dchernikoff New Member

Jun 13, 2019
    I have a TiVO VOX Bolt and a Vox mini. My mini is connected to a new Sony XBR-49X800G, the 2019 version. I programmed the Tivo remote with the appropriate Sony codes, and it controls off/on, volume, and input fine. EXCEPT.....

When I go to turn on the TV, the Tivo Remote has to be about 5 inches from the Sony before it will turn on. Once it's on, I can control volume, input, and even turn it off, from across the room with no problems. It's just the first time I turn it on after it's been off for a while, that i have to get right up in front of the TV.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas? So strange that once it's on, I can control it from across the room and turn it off and back on again without problem. But first time i turn it on in the day, it needs to be very close to the Sony's IR receptor.

Thanks for any help...

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I’ve not experienced that, but I do need to give a solid, 1-2 second press on the power button of my TiVo slide pro remote for my tv to power on.

If I only give a quick press, then just my soundbar will turn on without the tv and then I’m in a pickle.

3. Dchernikoff

Dchernikoff New Member

Jun 13, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. I tried that but no luck. And once I get it turned on, then it works fine from a distance, even turning it off and back on right away. Must be something wierd with the Sony -- the Tivo Mini light flashes immediately when I press the on button so it must be sending the IR code immediately.