TiVo versus X1 review after two weeks

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DeltaOne, Jul 17, 2020.

1. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

I’ve used a Roamio Pro since 2013. My provider is Comcast. I enjoy the TiVo but have become frustrated with the quality of the guide data and the current product offerings.

I’ve been running an X1 DVR for two weeks, alongside my TiVo. I have the Arris XG1v4-A model. So far, the X1 box is okay. I don’t know how long I’ll continue to run two DVRs, but so far I can say I could see myself ditching the TiVo and going it alone with the X1.

TL;DR: I originally bought a TiVo because in 2013 the reviews of the X1 were horrendous! The TiVo was great! We’ve enjoyed its features for seven years. My two week test has quieted my fears about leaving the TiVo world and going forward with an X1. It would be fine.

My list of pros and cons:

Pros:
    • OnDemand is back.
    • Free Netflix account.
    • Free Peacock account (would have had this anyway since I’m an Xfinity customer?).
    • Voice control works great (I’ve never used a TiVo voice remote).
    • The X1 has picked up at least two recordings that my TiVo missed (bad guide data?).
    • I never found a way on the TiVo to use a series pass or wishlist to record NASCAR races that didn’t either miss stuff or record too much stuff (like the truck races). On the X1 I found one choice that said “NASCAR Cup Series” and it only records cup races. It has worked nicely so far. Maybe there will be similar choices for college football?

Cons:
    • Tivo’s commercial skip is better than X1’s “Smart Resume” (but Smart Resume is okay).
    • The X1 will let me do a manual recording, but not a recurring manual recording. I would like the X1 to add this feature.
    • When you enter a folder of recordings the guide switches to large tiles instead of the grid. I called Xfinity about this and the rep said this annoyed her too and she would submit a feature request.
    • I miss skipping to the tick marks on the TiVo timeline. The X1’s “lightning” fast forward is pretty good though.

Remote controls: I’ve been using a TiVo remote long enough that for most functions I don’t even need to look at it…just pick it up and press the buttons. The X1 remote has smaller buttons, smaller type and feels foreign in my hand. After two weeks I’m getting more used to it every day. And I do like the lighted buttons on the X1 remote.

Changing channels: On the TiVo you enter the new channel number and it changes to that channel. On the X1 you enter the new channel number and get a search box where you select the channel (it’s always the top-most result) and press the center OK button. I need to use voice control more often to change channels, it works quite well and is faster than the search method.

Switching tuners: I loved being able to switch tuners on the TiVo and having each tuner have a 30 minute buffer. There is no way on an X1 to switch tuners, but the left-arrow button on the remote lets you quickly and easily change channels (to the last nine channels you’ve used) but there is no buffer. I believe the X1 has a 60 minute buffer when you stay on one channel. I have not investigated X1’s “Favorites” feature yet.

Picture quality: It’s hard to evaluate PQ when you can’t see them side-by-side. I’d say the PQ of the X1 is the same or maybe a bit better than the TiVo, but that’s just a hunch…they look very close. I have noticed a peculiarity where I set the X1 to 2160p60 4K UHD and the next day it has changed to 1080p60 HD (My Sony Bravia is 4K UHD). I’d say, for me, that 1080p60 HD looks the same as my TiVo Roamio, while 2160p60 4K UHD looks a little better than the TiVo Roamio.

Resolving recording conflicts: My TiVo would almost always resolve a recording conflict by catching a repeat showing during the overnight hours. I’ve only had one recording conflict so far on the X1 and I had to resolve it myself.

Cost: The X1 added $5/month to my Comcast bill and may have changed the “customer owned equipment credit” because the X1 is now my “primary” box and the two cable cards I have are bumped down. I believe my account now shows the X1 as costing $5/month and two cable cards at $4.95 each ($9.90/month total). My three TiVo Mini’s have no monthly cost, the X1 equivalent would cost $9.95 each ($29.85/month total). Ouch! (Two cable cards because my adult son has a TiVo Bolt.)

Series recordings: On my desktop computer it was easy to put TiVo Online in one window and Xfinity Stream in another window and transfer my series recordings. The Xfinity Stream search function would find a show and a few clicks later it was added as a series recording. I’d say I had 150 series recordings transferred in about 15 or 20 minutes. One oddity: the online Xfinity Stream and my X1 box could not find three shows (The Voice, Talking Dead and So You Think You Can Dance). I guess I’ll have to wait for these shows to show up in the guide.

Xfinity Stream app: I’ve used the Xfinity Stream app a bit on my desktop computer, iPad and iPhone to access recordings and live TV. It works well. I have not downloaded a recording yet or investigated how out-of-home streaming would work.

wizwor, aristoBrat and Noelmel like this.
  2. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    @DeltaOne - I certainly agree with 'everything' you mention. The XG1V4 certainly has advantages.

Do you have the X1 & your TiVo both HDMI to AVR and then AVR to the display?

TiVo for me, is actually for me only a likely 'Prime Time' series when they return in the fall for hopefully 'SKIP'. I was disappointed in the summer season that Yellowstone (for me) doesn't have SKIP on TiVo. My TiVo's having 'Lifetime' won't leave until CableCARD goes away but there's much to like about the XG1V4.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    jfalkingham likes this.
  3. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Free Netflix?

4. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  5. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013

Advertisements

Yes, free Netflix. My old Xfinity deal was titled "Super Triple Play" and includes a free Netflix account. I think the new Xfinity deal has a different name...but I don't have it handy just now. Something like "Super + More".

The free Netflix account is one user and standard definition. Upon activating the free Netflix on the X1 it asked if we wanted the free account or keep our current account (four users and HD) for $3/month. We opted to pay the $3/month and keep our current account. And it's billed on our Xfinity bill, not through Netflix the way we had been paying. Old cost was $16/month.

Noelmel likes this.
  6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What do the "current product offerings" matter? Presuming you have a lifetime subscription on your Tivo, it would keep working (about) as well as it always has. Yeah, the guide data is worse overall than it was with the previous company. (Though one thing that I think I "got used to" being better is that my pilot|premiere wishlist seems to get more true and false positives than it did with the old guide data.)

just curious which shows were missed.. (again, I agree about guide data, but curious)

autorecording wishlist for nascar + Cup ??

Isn't the OP Manager a Tivo patent? I think so.

7. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Current product offerings matter, to me, because my Roamio isn't going to last forever. Sure, I can easily replace the HDD...but there are other problems that can end a Roamio's life too. Also, my wife had been pushing for an X1 to bring back OnDemand.

The shows my TiVo missed were a couple of car shows on the MotorTrend network.

OP Manager a patent? I don't know.

8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    With the X1 and TiVo both available on the same display I actually watch most everything 'live' using the X1 and rely more on the X1 for 'specialty' recordings than I might have thought. VOD is certainly a +. My Roamio is in another room with a Mini at the main display.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    I have free Netflix too, just got an X1 box to sign into it and then returned it. Now free or option like you for an additional 3 bucks.

Bigg and MScottC like this.
  10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    We considered getting/returning the X1 about a year ago when I first learned of and had the free Netflix offer. Just never got around to it.

Bigg likes this.
  11. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I know pricing works differently in different markets but around here and in many other areas where Comcast has switched to their new "Simply & Easy" structure (which will probably eventually go nationwide), they charge you $5/mo for each X1 box you have, regardless of the model. And if you have DVR service, that's an additional $10/mo for the entire account. That gets you 150 hours of cloud storage. Or you can pay $20/mo to get 300 hours of cloud DVR storage. If one or more of your X1 boxes are physical DVRs, then you'll automatically be charged the $10/mo DVR service fee but the per-box rental fee is still $5/mo each.

12. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Interesting. I asked if this area was on "Simple & Easy" and didn't get a clear answer.

The billing is frustrating. In the past I've gotten good deals by visiting my local Comcast store and asking about saving money. This time, when picking up the X1, the rep said my Super Triple Play for $159.99 was cheaper than any promo they had and that it wouldn't change for another year. So a few days later I get a new bill and $159.99 has changed to $188.98.

I called in and at first and was told there was nothing cheaper, but a few minutes later was offered $169. So I took that. The web site is still showing $188.98, so I'm waiting to see what my paper bill says when it arrives. If I remember right the package is now called "Super + More." The rep said I would lose NFL Red Zone, but it's been over two weeks and I still have Red Zone.

I'm also not sure when and how an X1 saves recordings to the cloud. The X1 I have has a 500 GB internal hard drive. As far as I can tell everything we record goes to the hard drive. I've seen nothing that mentions capacity or paying for more storage. I don't anticipate having a problem with storage. We're retired and while we do record a lot we watch a lot and my TiVo was never more than 20% full...often much less.

13. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, I don't think you're on Simple & Easy given that you still having something like "Super Triple Play". None of those named packages exist here any more. I swear, dealing with Comcast is like dickering at a Persian bazaar. I think things are at least somewhat more transparent with Simple & Easy. But you do have to keep an eye on your bill. I only have standalone broadband, initially signing up for a low 1st year promo rate, then a higher 2nd year promo rate, before going to the regular rate in month 25. Well, sure enough, in month 13 this year, they went straight to the regular rate. I had to call in and it took a couple of months to get it all straightened out.

If you have a physical X1 DVR, as you do, then it just mirrors your local recordings to the cloud. But increasingly Comcast is setting up TV customers with IPTV-only boxes (models Xi5 and Xi6) that don't have tuners or hard drives in them. So all recordings are stored in the cloud. The boxes do have little SD cards in them, though, so that they can buffer a half hour or so of live TV in case you want to pause or rewind.

14. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

NashGuy likes this.
  15. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    As of this point in time, your region has not switched over to S&E as the legacy plans are still being offered to new subscribers.

You can get the same package for $10 less with a 24-month agreement (see below); and with this plan you can push the price down to $140 if you activate an Xfinity Mobile cellular line. Otherwise, your current deal's $159.99 price is only locked in for the first 12 months. Note that this is the service package price and does not include fees and taxes or additional equipment rental or one-time charges; your final monthly recurring cost will add somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 to $30 depending on your location.

upload_2020-7-19_9-22-10.png

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I have an ARWL that gets everything with no issues:

Title Keyword: NASCAR
    Category: Sports: Sports Event
    Keywords: -Classic NASCAR, -Practice, -Qualifying, -Pro Series, -Post Show, -Series East, -Modified, -Whelen

Most of the keywords are to weed out the lower tier series such as Whelen Modified or K&N Pro Series East/West. This ARWL gets all the Truck, Xfinity, and Cup races and nothing else. You could add -Truck and -Xfinity if you don't want those.

Also, set recordings to New and rerun because of crap guide data every once in a while. I think this may be why you can miss some. I also pad by an hour but as you know with rain, red flags etc. you have to monitor what's being recorded anyway.

17. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    Great info, thanks!

I'll do some research...maybe call in again tomorrow. I'm a little perturbed that the current bill, online, still shows Super Triple Play @ $188.98 even though a subsequent call got me the Super + More for $160 something. Paper bill hasn't arrived yet...but I'm guessing it'll show the Super Triple Play for $188.98 when it should show the Super + More rate.

18. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I remember trying keywords like -Practice and -Qualifying and a few others. Don't remember trying -Classic NASCAR and your others. It's only been about three weeks...but the NASCAR Cup "collection" on the X1 has worked well and sure was a lot easier.

WVZR1 likes this.
  19. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    NASCAR - CUP, F1 and IndyCar is nearly the only 'specialty' recordings I use the X1 for. I don't keep them but certainly rely on them for 'watching'!!

How long has the Frederick Xfinity Store been 'open' since shuttering for the Wuhan attack?

20. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I also "rented" an X1 box for an afternoon, linked my Netflix account, looked at the X1 box and decided to stay with my TiVo Roamio Plus. Comcast pays my Netflix Bill... you can strike that "pro" off your list.

To be honest, my only reason for even borrowing the X1 box for the afternoon was to link Netflix to Xfinity. It cost me all of $8, tolls to and from the mall and parking at the mall twice that afternoon, and a small amount on my Comcast bill for the month. But it was made back in one month. Did that at least a year ago I believe.