Tivo VCR Scart question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by boringgit, Jul 15, 2007.

1. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007

Advertisements

Think I have worked this out but would like confirmation if anybody is able....

My Tivo is connected to my main telly via scart, it is connected to Cable TV also via scart, and to my kitchen telly using RF out. I have been pleased to notice that by plugging my DVD player into the Tivo VCR scart the signal is not only passed through to the main telly, but also the kitchen telly.

Now from time to time I like to plug my PC into the telly using the s-video connector and watch a few bits this way. This works fine, but when I try to go from the PC into the VCR socket of the Tivo i get a black and white picture.

My limited understanding of these things tells me that s-video is just regular composite, but with the colour info on a different channel....

So my guess is that the Tivo VCR port doesn't support s-video? anybody able to confirm this?

Thanks!

2. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    The VCR socket on the Tivo doesn't do SVideo.
    If your DVD recorder has a Svideo input use that and by selecting the correct DVDR input and pressing the VCR button on your Tivo remote you should get to see PC on the TV all without interfering with any programme being recorded by Tivo.

3. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Hrmm...

Thanks for that - what I expected, but was still hoping for a great cheat!

Unfortunately my DVD has s-video output, but no input.

'tis one of those things which is worth a post to a board, but not really worth any money being spent ;) I could always re-encode and upload to the Tivo, but I can never be bothered - just takes too long...

4. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Odd arrangement. What make/model of DVD-R is it

5. threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002

Advertisements

OP said it was a player not a DVD-r :)

6. katman

katman New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    East Anglia
    A SCART socket (depending on how it is wired) can support Composite, S-video or RGB but s-video support via SCART can be quite limited.

there are 4 pins on a SCART that carry video signals and their use changes dependant on the type of signal

Pin19 (out)/Pin20 (in)

Composite video ( a complete composite TV picture)
    S-video Luma (the brightness part of an S-video signal which is a black and white picture)
    RGB - Composite Sync (although consumer video equipment tends to send Composite video as sync)

Pin 15

Composite Not Used
    S-video Chroma (the colour part of an S-video signal without which you will have a black and white image)
    RGB - Red video signal

Pin 11

Composite not used
    S-video not Used
    RGB - Green video Signal

Pin 7

Composite Not Used
    S-video Not Used
    RGB - Blue Video signal

The VCR SCART on Tivo supports RGB Passthrough so therefore as S-video uses the same pins it will also passthrough S-Video to the main TV BUT you will need to manually force the TV to S-video mode if it supports it as there is no autoswitching facility on SCART for S-video unlike RGB/Composite.

I am assuming that your kitchen TV is fed by the Tivo RF output in which case the above is pretty academic because the video modulator picks up whatever is on the video Out pin of the main TV SCART.

If your Tivo is set to Pal then this will be composite Video
    If your Tivo is set to RGB then it will still be composite video as this is what is sent as composite sync.

When you are sending your PC as S-video, all the modulator is receiving is the S-video Luminance information hence the black and white image.

you can get passive converters from s-video to composite from Maplin QM52G but these do soften the image a little. Fine if you are using the PC for showing video clips but it will be almost useless for normal text.

So in summary....
    Tivo DOESNT support S-Video but WILL PASSTHROUGH an S-video signal however the RF output will be monochrome. The TV connected via SCART MUST support s-Video via SCART and will need to be switched manually.

Hope that helps

Keith

7. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    My mistake :eek: