Tivo use without Directv connected?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Jiowa, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1 of 11
    Jiowa

Jiowa New Member

Aug 9, 2007

Advertisements

I am not sure how to phrase this ?, but I like would to know if it is possible to use the TiVo in 2 situations besides the regular connected via phone with paid subscription to both Tivo and Directv.

One situation would be if the subscriptions were to lapse, could you still access your TiVo DVR saved programs and watch them with your remote on your TV?

The 2nd situation would be not lapsed, but instead we could change to vacation mode and keep the subscriptions ongoing and connected to another phone # in a different state....here is the question..... could someone use the original Home TiVo unit and access via the remote control to watch the saved TiVo programs ?

I hope this makes sense. :rolleyes:

thanks.

2. dnemec123

dnemec123 Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Oregon
    Yes. You'll get messages about searching for input on Sat 1 or Sat 2, but you can ignore them and still access the Now Playing List.

Again yes. You really don't need to be connected to the phone line after the initial setup has been done. The phone line only reports PPV purchases to DirecTV. You don't need the phone line connected to use the DirecTiVo.

D

3. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Sure. Just use the TiVo button to skip out of the "Searching for Satellites" screen when it starts up. Then you can go to the Now Playing list and watch anything it had recorded.

4. Jiowa

Jiowa New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    I was just referred to this site and it is terrific. There is a lot of good information here.

Thanks to both of yas.

5. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here

Advertisements

Welcome to the forum!! Dont be a stranger :)

6. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Welcome to the Forum, and Welcome to the World of Tivo :D

7. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    i'm trying to do this but its not working now. i disconnected it and i was able to get right to now playing the first few days. but the other day someone messed around and it was searching for satellite and taking me to the guided set up. after waiting forever and still not working i unplugged and rebooted. now i get 'powering up' but then it trys going thru the compete set up. hitting now playing (or anything else) has not worked.
    how can i get back to Now Playing.
    i don't have directv anymore but got a ton of shows recorded on it === its GXCEBOT

any tips!?? thanks

8. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    Do you still have your dish set up because even if you dont Have service you can get the preview channel and go through the setup. After which you should be able to get in The NP list

9. eddieras99

eddieras99 New Member

Sep 2, 2002
    deerfield, il
    no, the installers used the existing lines for DISH! i left a show on paused, hoping it won't try and go back to "live' tv. that's what got me into this. i spent nearly an hour waiting for it to go thru the setup after i reboot. i tried hitting now playing all thru out. is there a better way if i end up back at set up again?

10. Rich584

Rich584 New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    New Jersey
    You do realize that in order to use the TiVo as a player, it still must have an access card in it? Any access card will do.

11. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    You could bring it to a friends that has directv and do the setup.