tivo usb adapter replacement

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bertwhit, Feb 24, 2011.

1. bertwhit

bertwhit New Member

Dec 10, 2006

Advertisements

I'm looking for a USB wireless adapter that is a lower price than the one sold by TIVO

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Buy it at Amazon.

If you want to use it on a series 2 DVR, check out www.tivo.com/adapters for old and cheap adapters that you might be able to find in a box in your garage. Nothing beats free. Keep in mind those old adapters will slow down your DVR while the TiVo branded one won't. If price is your object, there you go.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Not enough information. I believe Series 2 can use a number of different adapters, while Series 3 and up are linked to only TiVo brand adapters. You may be able to use a bridge, too.

Edit: Or yeah, what he^ said.

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Bridges are good. For me one bridged wireless connection supports my TV, BluRay player and TiVo DVR with one port left over for gaming system use when desired.

5. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida

Advertisements

I vote for the bridge, ususally a bit better range, better antenna, etc.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Way cheaper too.. $20 WiFi adapter with dd-wrt added on == multiple devices connected to the net. (I have a S1 included in that!)

7. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Forgot that.

What he said :up:

Of course wired is almost always better.

Best bets in order of speed and reliability are wired, MoCA, Wireless bridge, USB adapter.

8. achav00

achav00 New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    netgear wnce2001 wireless bridge works great. Transfer speeds have been great between my two tivos. I is USB powered from the tivo and uses the ethernet port to connect to the netgear device so you are not trying to find a wireless device that will work with tivo drivers it just thinks it is plugged into an ethernet port. initial setup is done on a pc then just plug into the tivo.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You may want to consider alternatives such as powerline or coax networking (i.e MOCA). They tend to have better performance then even 802.11n wireless.

Dan

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As mentioned elsewhere, some of the cheap adapters, designed to work with computers, are sort of like WinModems, i.e., they don't have as much hardware onboard as they should and offload the work to software that the computer has to run.

The Tivo, of course, isn't set up to run that software, so those adapters don't work well, or at all, with the Tivo.

Try googling "site:craigslist.org /sys OR /ele tivo wireless" and set the search options for the past month. You might find someone selling one cheap.

I got one this way back in December for $25.

11. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is not that the TiVo is not "set up" for the adapter software (kind of), it is that the developers of those chips only write x86 running software, and generally refuse to provide source code so other non-x86 system developers could write code for them. Not to mention things got out of hand identifying particular versions of adapters which where supported, and there is not enough processing to support the adapter code and the needed WPA security.

TiVo pulled a 180, by putting a co-processor in their adapter, which takes network processing off the host system.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah. The S2 units supported wireless before the TiVo brand adapter even existed. So they had to support something. They promoted Linksys brand adapters, but tried to support several others based on chipsets they could get drivers for. However that turned out to be a huge PITA so they developed their own adapters and started shying away from support for 3rd party adapters. They couldn't simply remove support from S2 units because they had an established base of units using 3rd party adapters. But when the S3 came out they dropped support for 3rd party adapters completely and made the TiVo brand adapter the only option.

Personally I think they should have avoided the USB approach completely and used a bridge instead. Would have been a lot easier to support and reduced the burden of on the CPU even more then the co-processor approach they used in the current TiVo adapter.

Dan

13. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    And just to expand slightly on your history lesson, one major reason it turned into a huge PITA is that wireless adaptor makers had a very annoying habit of changing the chips without changing the adaptor's model (or version) number.

So you couldn't even make good lists for "known working" adaptors because Linksys or whoever might get a better deal next week on a non-supported chip and switch to that without changing the packaging.

14. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    All they did was update their included x86 Windows driver, which of course did not help PowerPC Linux based TiVo.

So how does it work for the new Wireless-N adapter, which connects via Ethernet? The adapter even has its own IP address, for the stated reason for it to be able to automatically download firmware updates. Is it really a bridging solution?

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I didn't realize the new N adapter connected via Ethernet. That definitely sounds like a bridge to me.

Dan

16. rivered

rivered New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    The tivo N adaptor didn't work well with my medialink router so I went with a WD livewire and I haven't run into any problems streaming anything yet.

17. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    Yep. It has a proprietary cable that terminates in a splitter. The splitter has a receptacle for a wall wart for power, and a standard ethernet jack, which you connect to the ethernet jack on the TiVo. It supports the push-button instant WiFi configuration protocol, or you can hook it to a PC and configure it via a Web page on the adapter. On the TiVo, it reports using the Ethernet connection, not WiFi.