Tivo update with internet connection sharing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ewilli12, Jan 12, 2006.

1. ewilli12

ewilli12 New Member

Jan 12, 2006

Advertisements

I am trying to set up a new Tivo Series 2 box for my parents. I have a Series 2 box of my own that I have successfully set up using my wireless broadband connection. Unfortunately, the set up of their box has had some difficulties, as they live in the boonies. Here is the problem that I am hoping to get help with:

Connecting to Tivo service through the phone line is a long distance call for them and they currently have dial-up internet service. I performed the guided setup by using a long distance phone number, but was hoping to be able to bypass the long distance calls for their service updates.

I have read in a few posts on this site that it is possible to use internet connection sharing with a dial-up internet connection and then connect the Tivo wirelessly to receive service updates. I have a D-Link DWL-122 USB Adaptor to use on the Tivo and I have read some help guides on the internet on how to set up internet connection sharing on a home computer.

My question is: how would their home computer pick up the wireless signal from the Tivo? Is there a piece of equipment (router, etc) that I need to purchase? If so, can anybody recommend a specific model that would work? I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me.

2. bryan314

bryan314 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Sound like your parents are in the same situation as me. No local number and no broadband available. It can be done, this is how I have my system.

Tivo -> dwl-122 wireless -> DI-624 dlink wireless router -> Desktop computer w/ICS -> local dialup.

Simplified version of the steps:
    Run network wizard on XP, it'll setup ICS. It'll force ip address of 192.168.0.1 on your lan adapter.
    See the routers docs for setup but change the router address off the default (192.168.0.1) to another address.
    Run Tivo network setup using the ICS ip address.

Saved me a bunch on my long distance bills. :)

The only problem I have is Tivo constantly looses my adapter. Not the signal, the entire adapter. I have to unplug/replug the adapter every day. But I don't think this is because of the setup but Tivo not liking my adapter.