TiVo Update Turning on TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mhoffa, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mhoffa

mhoffa New Member

Mar 5, 2005

Advertisements

Lately I have been experiencing a new problem. Every so often at about 4am, I wake up to find my two TVs powered on and see that theTiVo red light is lit...either recording or updating.

This started happening a few months ago, but just thought one of our pets stepped on the remote control. But since we have put the remotes in a drawer, it still is happening.

Needless to say, my wife gets freaked out when this happens, and I am not home.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. roy_hobbs

roy_hobbs New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Ohio
    Its recording the discovery channel, that how those stupid movie trailers and commercials get on your Tivo.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    That does not turn on the TV though.

deos the TiVo record during the day ? Does that turn on the TV.

is there perhaps a timer for the TV on one of the Tv's menus that got set by the dog ?

4. roy_hobbs

roy_hobbs New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Ohio
    Oh, I did not notice that your TV is turning on, you have a ghost in the house. :)

5. mhoffa

mhoffa New Member

Mar 5, 2005

Advertisements

I checked to make sure that no timers are set, and even locked the front panel controls, too.

It does turn on at other times, as well, but most often in the late night/early morning.

My wife believes it's a ghost, but I am not so sure. Just is odd that this is happening.

Believe it or not, it's never happened anywhere else, either. I have had TiVo on this TV since July 2004, in two different states (relocated for job) and no problems until at our latest location.

Weird!

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Are both TVs in the same room? Are there cable boxes with IR? Do the TVs also randomly go off sometimes when the TiVo changes channels?

7. mhoffa

mhoffa New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    The TVs are in different rooms (one is on the main floor, the other in the basement, different models, brands, etc.) The TV in the living room is connected to the cable box by serial cable, while the other in the basement is using the IR cables.

The TVs never turn off, however, when TiVo changes channels.

8. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wow. I'm starting to like your wife's explanation.

9. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have a friend that has a very old TV that turns on by itself once in a while. Its one of those wood models that sit on the floor.

10. mhoffa

mhoffa New Member

Mar 5, 2005
    I remember those. The TVs I am referring to is a 1996 Sony 27" model with 2-tuners and PIP, and the other is a 51" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV bought in '01.

Not very old to have those types of problems......

11. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Is the TV in some kind of Standby/screensaver mode? I mean, does it turn itself off if by itself too?

Perhaps the neighbor is playing with you, using a universal remote? :)

12. bikerdude

bikerdude New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Several times I woke up to find the TV on in my den - and I know that I turned it off before I went to bed the night before. It didn't happen every day. Just occasionally.

Turns out that the remote in the bedroom was turning on the TV in the den when I turned off the TV in the bedroom. The TV's were the same brand and used similar remotes. The IR extender that I use to change the channel on my DTivo in the den from the bedroom was also forwarding the TV On/Off button push to the TV in the den.

Now I point my bedroom remote towards the floor to turn off the TV at night. The IR extender doesn't pick it up.

I also set up a timer on my TV to turn the den TV on at 11:58pm and off at 11:59 pm just in case a stray signal makes its way to the den.

13. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    What about power surges? My family had a TV that would turn itself on when there was a quick power outage. It was pretty sensitive I guess, most of the clocks in the house wouldn't even notice. The only way we figured that it was power related is that one of the clocks in the house would reset at the same time.

-Dylan

14. beej1024

beej1024 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Ok, I know this is odd, but I have the exact same problem. A few months ago I started finding my TV hooked to Tivo on. Nobody had been in the room, and no other tv's or remotes are even in the basement.

I moved across Town, and have the SAME problem. I swear a Tivo update caused this.

Anyone else??

BJ

15. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    Did it happen right after a TiVo update?

16. tgr131

tgr131 Safety Dancer :)

May 23, 2001
    Columbia,...
    Well, here's a thought.

Are you useing the Tivo Remote to cut the TV off?

If so, you could be putting the Tivo into Standby Mode. I'm not sure, but I don't think that sends a signal to the TV. It would appear to you that the TV would be off. If an update came down, the Tivo would start sending a signal to the TV again, and it would appear that they came on, when in fact they had been on the whole time.

17. beej1024

beej1024 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    I am using the Tivo remote to power the TV, but it has always been this way. It was not until a few months ago that about once a week I would find the TV on, when nobody had been near it. Nothing else in the set up has changed, and I use the serial cable to control the cable box.

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The TVs would have to have some sort of wake up on the input that the TiVo video/audio signal coems in on for the TiVo to do it. How else can the TiVo do such a thing.

errent IR remote signals are the usual culprit as noted above, but the TiVo only balsts IR to the cable box via the emitter, it would have to be applied to the cable box wrong to get a signal to the TV and then the TV would have to see something as a power on/off signal. A serial control would provide no way for a signal to get to the TV.

19. cstarchild

cstarchild New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    I am here because I am freaked out by my TV turning on automatically and did a google search for a logical explanation.

I am not a TiVo customer really - I just have a regular TV, magnavox whatever, not new, but not ancient. I was standing about 4 feet from the TV and it came on right before my eyes. I was on the phone at the time. Once I got off the phone, I looked for the remote thinking the dog stepped on it or whatever. Nope. In fact, the remote was on the table pointed about 90 degrees away from the TV. I even pressed the power button without moving the remote to test whether it was able to send signal to the TV. No luck. I am totally interested in any other logical explanation if anybody can suggest.....

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Your neighbor has the same TV and turns it on from his house by pointing the remote at your window, close the shade. (Saw this in a movie once funny as h**l)