Tivo - Universal Remote - Very Strange things!! Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Rushingjs, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I brought my buddies 240 that I had modded out for him back down to my house (i live 2 hours away) to fix it for him (when he did the 9.3 update, he did something wrong). I get all the way home and realize I forgot the freaking remote! I thought about what I could do and realized I had a fairly new universal remote. I look in the code book for it and sure enough, TiVo has like 7 numbers.

I loaded the 7.22-oth using the SApper, and tried the codes, success! Everything worked. So I'd get through guided setup, connect to the service, download the new software, update using the slicer and then i boot up, and it works for a minute (just long enough for me to go into system information to see the software version to verify to the update, and now that I think about it, each time it quit I was in system information) and then all of the buttons except the channel down, and the traverse left button completely stop working! I've tried this twice and it does the same thing every time. They yellow LED on the front confirms it receives the IR signal, but it doesn't do anything on the interface.

I don't understand it one bit. Could it be that maybe when I access my system information something gets written over or modified that ruins that I/O? That is the only logical thing I can think of. I am going to try it one more time tonight, this time, instead of using the TiVo interface I'm going to use my bash to check the version to verify.

I just think this is the strangest thing. Granted I will have my TiVo remote back soon, but like any other small time hacker, I can't wait that long!

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

edit: I looked around a bit and discovered a thread on the page about using sendkey through serial to move the interface... hopefully this will work just so i can get it all set up, but my worry is that the TiVo remote wont work entirely either.

Joe

2. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek DeleteAccount

Nov 18, 2001
    DeleteAccount
    Possibly the remote address is getting munged somewhere in the process.

3. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    To clarify, to allow the use of multiple tivos in the same environment, it supports several device#s. Device 0 is the universal, and all tivos are supposed to respond to it. By default, tivo's peanut remotes send signals as Device 0, so he shouldn't have any problems.

It may be that some of the codes on your universal are either improperly programmed Device#s, or broken in some other way... I'd try a different code.

BTW, The way you change which device# the tivo responds to is by going to the SysInfo screen (coincidence? I think not). The next button press the tivo receives determines, it will use whichever device# that signal corresponds to. (for the pedants: "it will use the device# to which that signal corresponds")

4. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I've tried all codes. They all have the same functionality after it screws up.

Can you explain this a bit more clearly? What i understand you were trying to say is that when I go to the System info screen, the next button i push determines the device# the Tivo will be looking for from the remote? Not sure I follow all of this.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

In the System Info screen, scroll down to where it says 'Remote Address', Whatever the Tivo receives on that screen will change the remote address for the remote code so the tivo will respond to, there are basically 10 sets, 0 (not set), and 1-9.

6. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    But wait... if it changes the remote address to whatever the remote is, why would it STOP working when i got on this page? Or is that something I have actually change with the remote under the remote address value. And i would image from what is mentioned above, I need to set it to 0?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Ordinarily it would isolate to that 1 remote code. On the Tivo remote holding Tivo button and the pause til the remote light comes on then press a number will set the address.

8. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Ok, thanks for the info. While you were giving this to me throughout the day, I just redid everything. I just didnt go to the system info page and it works fine. But its good to know these things... you learn something new everyday!

9. May 1, 2008 #9 of 10
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Actually, nothing gets set until after you press the right cursor arrow. If you exit out of the system information sctreen without setting the code, I believe that nothing changes. I say this because the remote code ID does not change to the number you entered until you press the cursor arrow.

10. Omikron

Omikron Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I have not found that to be the case. Any button press seems to change the remote code on all of the TiVo units that I have tested.