1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIVO Units Rebooting, anyone else have same issue ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by arcusjim, Jun 11, 2018.

1. arcusjim

arcusjim New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    For the last two weeks, my new Tivo Roamio has been rebooting consistently when connected to the network. To stop the reboot I have had to disconnect the ethernet which makes all my mini's useless.

I opened up a case with Tivo and they informed me that they are having an issue with ALL Tivo models and are trying to find out why they are rebooting. Is anyone else having this issue ?

From TIVO "Thanks for patiently waiting. Upon checking our records, this is already a known issue. Our Engineers are still investigating the problem. We don't have an ETA as of the moment but for software updates, we usually release minor software updates to fix bug fixes once in every month or two."

2. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just got a Roamio late last week, but it has restarted once, but it seemed like it crashed as it didn't respond to remote commands. But I'm only connected with wifi.

3. arcusjim

arcusjim New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    The unit will reboot once it grabs an IP address with either Ethernet or Wifi. If it keeps restarting (more then once a day )you should open up a ticket.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @arcusjim, I had this problem a while back, as did a few others. My issue cleared-up after a few days, but another user, who'd been suffering with the issue for much longer, worked with TiVo and they traced the issue to SkipMode files. I'll see if I can find that user's post on the issue (user = @TishTash).

edit: See here for @TishTash's post Re: SkipMode-related reboots: TiVo restarts but only when connected to Internet

In the meantime, one way to allow the Minis access to the Roamio is to block the Roamio's access to the Internet via a tweak to your router's settings. This way, the Roamio can be connected to your home network, allowing Mini access, but prevented from connecting to the mothership and avoiding the reboot trigger.

edit: See this post for an example method for blocking Internet access for a DVR, in this case using an ASUS router's Parental Controls feature: Roamio Pros repeatedly rebooting when networked

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    TishTash likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Out of curiosity, what model Roamio is having the problem, how big is its hard drive and what's it utilization?

The earlier rebooting issues a number of us experienced seemed to be related to very large DIY hard drive upgrades (6-8 TB), and having a high number of recordings.

6. Docvoll

Docvoll New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I already posted that since horizontal bar auto upgrade any app usage causes restart. Tivo gave me the same ‘wait for fix ‘ message now 5 weeks and running.

7. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    That's a lot of one passes and a lot of data on that had drive. I guess that's why you have it but...where do you find the time to watch 300 one passes?

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't. There are 6+ people in the house with varied tastes; and many of the OnePasses are just streaming bookmarks.

9. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    For how long can a Roamio be blocked from the Internet before it becomes almost unusable?

Background: I have a Roamio that accesses the Internet as a MoCA client. A second Roamio is the MoCA <--> Ethernet bridge to the rest of the network and the Internet itself. This setup regularly breaks, because apparently Roamios periodically forget to bridge if they are allowed to go to sleep. But that's not my concern here. Eventually I will deal with that by not allowing the Roamio to bridge. I will get a standalone adapter such as Motorola MM1000 to bridge.

The problem is the MoCA client Roamio. Because of the faulty bridging, this client Roamio periodically says it's no longer connected to the Internet. And when that happens, almost no functionality is available. E.g. something as simple as "To Do List" is dimmed out and can't be accessed. Really? The todo list requires a conversation with the mothership?

I normally deal with the problem by rebooting both Roamios. That's crude but effective and doesn't really bother me. It's the abysmal functionality when not connected to the Internet that really bothers me.

Of course, long term a DVR requires the Internet to function. E.g. to get guide data. But TiVo seems to have gone out of their way to limit basic functionality without access to the Internet.

10. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Roamio Plus w/ 3TB at about 55%. I've had about 5 or 6 spontaneous reboots since the RC30/RC29 release, including one yesterday.

When watching during a reboot, we see the screen freeze for a few seconds before the reboot. No apps were in use during any of my reboots (although kmttg is monitoring for auto-skip, but I have no reason to believe kmttg is to blame).

I've also seen the app list disappear (not restored by manual reboot) and then reappear for a short time later no apparent reason.

11. arcusjim

arcusjim New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks I will give it a try.

12. arcusjim

arcusjim New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    This is a new unit with a 3tb drive in it. Tivo informed me that this problem affects all models and they have no idea why this is happening. After you open a ticket you can then call billing to credit your account for the time your Tivo is down. Reading the other posts, this becomes a witch hunt trying to find a solution to their problem. Here is what customer service told me:
    Justin (2:49:14 PM):Thanks for patiently waiting. Upon checking our records, this is already a known issue. Our Engineers are still investigating the problem. We don't have an ETA as of the moment but for software updates, we usually release minor software updates to fix bug fixes once in every month or two.
    Justin (2:49:34 PM):Since the case has already been associated with our tracker, our Engineers will be contacting you via email or phone once we've come up with a fix.
    Me (2:50:10 PM):is this only for roamios
    Me (2:50:20 PM):eek:r all units ?
    Justin (2:51:40 PM):This is on all models. Not just the Roamio.

13. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You'll have about two weeks before guide info runs out, after which One Passes will no longer record. You should still have access to recorded content -- not sure how much of an issue you'll have with the annoying blue circles.

My Roamio is set to sleep after two hours of inactivity, and it is the MoCA bridge. I haven't had any complaints of my Premiere or minis failing to function while the Roamio is asleep. I do see some message about MoCA bandwidth issues -- don't know if they are related or not.

That seems really odd. I've never seen my ToDo list dimmed out. I have seen Apps disappear, but I don't think that is MoCA related in any way.

14. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    Okay, I was casting asparagus (or maybe casting aspersions) on MoCA without being sure of the source of my problem of losing connection to the Internet. I just assumed it was the MoCA bridge function of the Roamio. IIRC I read somewhere here that when a Roamio is a bridge it sometimes forgets to actually bridge when it goes to sleep. But I can't find that thread right now.

The behavior I do see on both Roamios is very similar to what was reported a while ago on a Bolt by some other guy:
    20.7.4 has arrived!

Quoting from that post:
    My Bolt did the same thing last night, couldn't access History, ToDo list, or any of my other Roamios.
    Connected, no change.
    Tested internet connection, no change.

Next time this happens I will try the fix from that post, which is to put the Roamio into standby and to wake it back up again. Maybe that will work. FWIW my Roamios are on software 20.7.4.RC42

Edit: and when it says "tested internet connection", that what I also have been doing. Because the GUI offers to do that when this problem occurs. The bridging Roamio passes the connection test, but still can't access the To Do list. It wouldn't be software if it didn't have bugs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018