Tivo unit with Dish Network feed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by upjeeper, Sep 28, 2011.

1. upjeeper

upjeeper New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm thinking about getting rid of my dish network DVR (model 622 i think, no HD)

I've got a Tivo unit picked out, not sure the model, just know it's a sony unit.

Is there any concern hooking this up to the feed from the dish network service?

2. avediswolf

avediswolf New Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Unfortuneately, I don't believe TiVo will work with Dish Network, as the TiVo is unable to decode the sat stream, and you would still need a Dish box.

As for Dish, if looking for a DVR, their DVR722 is pretty nice. I used to be with Dish, and liked it a great bit when I had Dish service. I actucally liked it better than the TiVo, but unfortuneately for me, I moved to a wooded lot with no line of sight to the satellites.

3. upjeeper

upjeeper New Member

Sep 28, 2011
    thanks. i'm trying to "cut the cord" (i know dish is satellite...)

thought i'd try out a tivo. if I were to get a different (non-dvr) cable box from dish would that work with a tivo unit?

4. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    There are really 2 kinds of Tivos out there.

1. The old Series1 and Series2 Tivos, which are SD only and could work with just about any pay TV service (for the most part they do not work with antenna). These boxes require a provider STB to work (or analog in the case of cable). There were various manufacturers of these boxes (including Sony).

2. The Series3 (HD) and Series4 (Premiere) Tivos which work with cable companies, fios, and antenna broadcasts and are HD capable. These boxes replace the STB. Tivo is the only manufacturer of these boxes.

Let us know what you are interested in and we can help more.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    S1 & S2, except for the dual tuner model, did work with antenna, that is, before the digital transition.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    And that means what now after the transition?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Digital coverter box.

8. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Well then say that some Series2 boxes can be used with a digital converter box. They are the models that are not dual tuner (DT). Series1 boxes are not supported.
    See here for what is supported:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/306

That is a heck of a lot more useful to the poster, especially due to the fact of the mention of the Sony Tivo (many of which are Series1 units).

9. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    To the OP: you said you have a 622, but also said you don't have HD? The 622 is an HD box. could you clarify as this does make a difference in what you may be looking for. Also, are you on the Eastern Arc for Dish. The Eastern Arc is all MPEG4, even for SD channels, so only Dish ViP (HD units) can receive content on the Eastern Arc. This could explain why you may not have HD services, yet are using an HD box.

I have to agree avediswolf, the 722 is a superior performing HD box. The 622 was Dish's first ViP HD DVR, and it does have some compromises and seems to be less stable, and even can't keep up with the latest technology such as the Sling Adapter (the chip is too old, or, perhaps, more precisely, under powered as it is an older model) while 722, 722K, and on up have no problems there. Lots of posts of 622 frustrations with all sorts of little things compared to the 722 and on up.

For what you want, you will only be able to record in SD using a TiVo. You will have to use the Dish box's analog outputs connected to a SERIES 2 or lesser TiVo.

However, you can also use a TiVo HD capable box such as S3, HD, HDXL, Premiere, and Premiere XL by using Dish's RF Home Distribution output (or TV2 output on some models) and connect it to the TiVo's RF OTA or Cable input (you can set the Dish box to send out the signal on either the OTA band or the CATV band as well as choose from several channels to fit your situation) and tune to the proper channel (Home Distribution Output sends out BOTH TV1 and TV2 tuners on different channels, so you can record TWO channels at the same time from the Dish box using the TiVo to record both channels and watch a previously recorded show using the same TiVo, if you wish) and record the Dish output in to a TiVo HD capable box that way, allowing you to run coax into another room. Remember, the analog and RF outputs will be in SD only, and HD content will be down-converted. I do this on occasion when I want to record from my 222K in the other room to my TiVo in another room. This gives me DVR functions. However, if I use a manual timer to automatically record the content there is NO TiVo GUIDE data, just "Manual Recording" in your Now Playing List.

As mentioned by another poster, please do tell us what you do and how it is working.