TiVo turned my box off

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by rickynumber18, Jun 12, 2011.

1. rickynumber18

rickynumber18 Leaving the building

Feb 28, 2007
    Mornin' all. Turned my ALTEPG TiVo on this AM to watch Thomas (with my little boy, not on my own!) and TiVo had posted an 'account closed' message and turned me off (8: Account Closed) and no Thomas recorded - explain that to a 3 year old! Great start to a Sunday. :mad:

Subject: TiVo Service Account Closed!
    Date: Sat 11th Jun 2011
    Expire: Sun 10th Jun 2012
    You must have a valid TiVo Service account to use TiVo functionality. To re-activate your account, you must call Customer Service at .

If you have already activated, thank you. Your TiVo Service account status will be updated within a few days. Or, you can make a daily call now to check your account status. (If you have just re-activated, please wait several hours for processing to complete before making a daily call.)

I repeated a few ALTEPG steps and got my system back up and running. All seems okay. :)

2. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    powered my non ALTepg tivo this morning and download a weeks worth, indexing now - no sign of any shennanigens so far, even got a channel line up change mail.

and, if you're not connecting to tivo how could they mess with you?

minor ALTepg glithch methinks.

3. vassilis

vassilis Member

Apr 28, 2002
    London
    My non-ALTepg tivo updated as normal this morning at 8:10am. Listings until 1st of July! So it must be the ALTepg server :)

Vassilis

4. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Very strange. I've posted a comment on the ALTEPG forum so someone over there may have an answer as to what went wrong.

5. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    If you have changed you EPG to AltEPG - then the title of your post is misleading as TiVo would not have access to your PVR!

6. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Interesting dates on that message.
    Perhaps it was on your Tivo before you changed to the AltEPG?

Will others get this present from Tivo?

Automan.

7. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I suspect its an internally generated message - like the line-up changes

8. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    Yes, it's the standard 'account closed' message. Sounds like the OP's box ID hasn't been recognised by the AltEPG server so it defaults to account code 8.

9. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    I'm still very confused as to how it happended. The message is dated today. I guess I'm a bit stuck now if I wanted to go back to TiVo listings from TiVo until they shut off their EPG. I just don't understand how I went from 5: Lifetime Sub' to 4: Tivo Internal Testing via ALTEPG to 8: Account Closed. Could I ever get back my 5?

10. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The status comes from the SERVER, reconnect to TiVo and you'll have whatever status you should have.

11. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Presumably via 'repeat guided setup etc'?

12. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    No, it's done via a test call or daily call. If you redirect your TiVo at the official service and do a test call then it should reinstate the 5-Lifetime setting and let you make & view recordings again.

Don't do a daily call to the TiVo number without clearing programme & to-do data first though as the two systems don't appear to be exactly compatible.

13. rickynumber18

Feb 28, 2007
    Many thanks. I'm happy with ALTEPG but for some of my sons programmes the data isn't there so if TiVo are still providing their data I may go back until an official turn off.

14. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Another download has just happenen via dial-up using 08450885336