TiVo/Tribune add Guide Data for First 'Working" Canadian Digital Station - CFTO

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dajad, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto

Advertisements

I was delighted last evening when my TiVo told me that it how has the guide data for its first 'working' Canadian Digital Over the Air Station in Toronto - CFTO.

As of last evening if I want to record from CFTO (part of the CTV Network in Canada) my TiVo has the guide data for it.

Because TiVo/Tribune do NOT provide the guide data when I used my Toronto Postal Code, I have been using a U.S. zip code for the nearest U.S. city to me (Niagra Falls New York - I use zip code 14305). CFTO (channel 9-1) was added to their line up for the first time. Yeah!!!

Now, oddly from Day 1, TiVo/Tribune have had the guide data for the local CBC station (channel 5-1) but due to a glitch that is incomprehensible, it has never worked.

My TiVo shows TWO channel 5.1's on my Guide screen. The first channel 5.1 has all the guide data, but when you tune to that station or try to set TiVo to record from the first 5.1, nothing records. There is nothing there when you manually tune to it. But, if you tune to the second chanel 5.1 the TV shows are all there, but there is no guide data for it - Argh!!!

Anyway, this is NOT the case with the new CFTO (channel 9-1) info. The guide data and channel match up.

There is still no guide data for the City TV Network or the Sun TV. Global still does not broadcast digitally so there is, of course, nothing for TiVo to provide data for.

I'm happy at least that we've got guide data for one major Canadian network. It's a start.

...Dale

2. Blaq

Blaq New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON...
    Dale, that's wonderful news! Let's face it: the toughest part was having Tribune populate data for the first Canadian OTA HD channel. Hopefully, the rest will follow, and especially for Canadian postal codes -- although I have one question: are there any Canadian OTA HD channels available in Toronto which aren't available in Niagara Falls, NY? (The ZIP code you used) If the answer is "no", am I correct in assuming there would be no reason to prefer a Canadian postal code over a US ZIP code for Torontonians?

3. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    None of the Canadian OTA stations available in Toronto other than the the new CFTO channel and the CBC channel (that has the dual channel problem) are available via the U.S. zip code I use: 14305

The only reason I knew that CFTO was added was via TiVo's message that there has been a change to my antenna line-up when clicked over to my S3 yesterday. Prior to yesterday CFTO's digital station was not an optional station via that U.S. zip code (though the analogue equivalent and all Toronto area analogue stations are).

As I discuss in my blog post, I can still MANUALLY record all the Canadian OTA stations. Now I finally have one that works as intended with TiVo.

I did a double check on zap2it.com this afternoon to see if CFTO was available in the antenna/broadcast station guide for my postal code and it was not. So, an American TiVo owner in Niagra Falls can record this Canadian OTA digital station before a Canadian using a Canadian postal code can. Ironic but true.

Since all the Toronto OTA stations are equally 'visible'/available/manually recordable to/by Niagra Falls New York residents, given the CFTO precdent I suspect over time all of them will be added to the Niagra Falls zip code. At which time all of us in the Greater Toronto area will have a Series 3/TiVo HD solution.

...Dale

4. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
  5. Feb 1, 2008 #5 of 15
    faston

faston New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Vancouver,...

Advertisements

This is awesome news!!! I have been manually recording all my stuff from CTV HD and CBC HD on my Tivo HD here in Vancouver (looks much better than Shaw cable HD). Hopefully they will roll this out to other Canadian cities as well. The only news that could be better than this would be cablecard support. But this would definitely satisfy me for now!

6. Feb 1, 2008 #6 of 15
    Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    faston, just to be 100% clear, Tivo still does not provide the line up for ANY Canadian OR U.S. digital OTA channel if I type in my Canadian postal code during guided setup even though Toronto shares the identical spectrum with Niagra Falls New York. Rather, I have to put in the Niagra Falls New York zip code to get the guide data for Toronto, such as it is.

So, in order for this same thing to apply in Vancouver, TiVo would have to start providing Canadian digital station guide information for Washington state border cities close enough to Vancouver to share the same spectrum. I have no idea if this is going to happen. But, I'd be keen for you to let me know if/when this happens.

...Dale

7. Feb 2, 2008 #7 of 15
    farlz00

farlz00 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Dajad,
    Good to see others trying to get this CBC issue fixed. I'm in Newfane NY, not far from the lake. I've sent numerous emails to thier channel lineup group, and as of the latest response, it's with thier engineering department. The way I see it, they just have the frequency wrong, the channel we actually get is frequency 20 and the one they have guide info for is frequency 5. Seems like a simple fix, but here we still are, waiting.

Try using zipcode 14174 (youngstown ny) you should get all you have now plus CITY-DT! I've searched many zips around our area, this is the only one I've found w/CITY.

Cheers!

8. Feb 2, 2008 #8 of 15
    Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Holly Tolido Farlz00, I just checked out 14174 on zap2it.com and you are 100% correct!!!

I'm going to redo guided setup and see how it goes!

If it works I'll have to see if I can get TiVo to fix 5.1 for that zipcode as well!!!!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS !!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

9. Feb 3, 2008 #9 of 15
    Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Well, we win some and lose some, I just switched to zip code 14174 and I have City TV OTA HD Guide Data for the first time - WHOOP, WHOOP!!!

But, I lost my two non-functioning CBC channels (5-1) and now only have the channel with guide data but no programming. So, I can't record it manually like I could using the other zip code. But, I'm hoping TiVo fixes 5-1 in which case I'd have THREE full Toronto stations.

No matter how you cut it, things have gotten much better for me in Toronto over the last week!

...Dale

10. farlz00

farlz00 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Glad to help! Funny about CBC, I haven't been able to get a picture since sometime Friday night, but previously I was able to get it w/zip 14174, so I don't know what's going on. I'm thinking about calling TiVO and seeing if they can do anything, don't know if it'll work, but you're right, OTA has gotten a lot better this week!

I am able to pull a weak signal from CITY-DT here in Newfane, I'm going to get a pre-amp soon, and hope to be able to get it reliably, looks like an awesome channel.

What Canadian DTV stations are you and others able to pull in? I've seen lots of lists, but I'm not sure which ones are actually broadcasting right now?

11. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    The list of stations I'm getting is in my "Using TiVo Series 3 in Canada" blog post, see link in my signature below.

Sun TV, Omni 1 and Omni 2 (all rather poor stations) come and go though. There is a new Christian broadcasting station available part of the day too that I haven't bothered to add yet - but will at some point. The whole blog post needs to be updated in light of the recent developments.

I've never been a fan of City TV. It doesn't carry any of the U.S. prime time shows like Global and CTV do. Ultimately in order for TiVo to be usable by the average person in the Metro Toronto areas (those that don't have great southern exposure or great antennas to pick up the U.S. signals as I do) is for Global (still not broadcatsing), CTV, City and CBC to have full guide data. When they do, I'll be able to recommend The S3 or TiVo HD to a MUCH larger group of people up here. Until then its just a fringe product for us at the margins willling to put up with hacks like using a U.S. zipcode in stead of a Canadian postal code.

...Dale

12. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    TiVo has added another Canadian station on the Youngstown lineup, CHCH is now broadcasting and TiVo has guide data for it.

See here.

So we now have guide data for Canada's CTV/Global/CityTV and CBC, with the CBC problem still outstandking.

...Dale

13. faston

faston New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Vancouver,...
    Well, I finally got tired of having to manually add recordings for all of my OTA HD viewing and re-did my guided setup to put in a zip code from Point Roberts Washington. The guide data for all three of the OTA stations (CTV,Global, CBC) is there and all correct. So, in answer to your question, yes they have supplied all guide data for the OTA stations here but only if you put in a US zip code. It's nice to be able to finally go back to season's passes etc for my HD viewing, but it's still annoying that I have to turn my back on the other 100 or so channels I get on cable just to accomplish that!

I am currently resurrecting my Series 1 that recently had a hard drive failure to handle the analog cable channels for me. I have replaced the drive (using InstantCake) and am now in the process of gathering the info (again) to get my Canadian Postal Code into it. Don't suppose there has been an easier method than the whole telnet thing invented in the last couple of years? I have done it once before, but it's pretty complicated and frankly I'm not as motivated as I was before I had the Tivo HD to handle most of my recording. It is so nice to be able to just enter the postal code during guided setup!

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Getting a Series 2 is the easier method.

15. faston

faston New Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Vancouver,...
    Yes, definitely. But my Series 1 has lifetime so I need to keep it running anyway to get the MSD on the Tivo HD. And now that I have gone to the effort of replacing the drive, I might as well go all the way and hack it to take the Postal Code. I did it once, just not looking forward to doing it again. At least once it's done, I don't have to worry about it again for a few years.