Tivo Transfer to PC Failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by cpres75, May 1, 2011.

1. cpres75

cpres75 New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Hello everyone. I have looked through the forum and found this question asked several times, but with no definite solution, so I am hoping with some additional information this can be resolved for everyone.
    I am using Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 on Windows Vista and when I try to transfer a file it gets to about 10 MB and then it fails with the error "Some transfers have been interrupted". I have tried this also using Internet Explorer and it gets to about the same point and fails.
    I have tried the un-install and re-install of the software, reset the Tivo, etc with no success. Then after some additional research, I found the source of my problem was my virus scan program, specifically Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security. Once I close down the program, and start the transfer it works perfect even if I re-enable it. However, once the next transfer starts (if I try to do more than one) it fails with the same error.
    Trend Micro support has no idea how the program works which is why I am asking here for more details. Are there specific programs that are used to transfer the files from the Tivo to the computer? On the other hand, does anyone know what settings need to be changed to allow Trend Micro Titanium the ability to transfer shows from the Tivo to the PC. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It would depend on the configuration settings you have in your internet security software.
    Here is the list of ports to allow from TiVo support:
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/402
    On the software side of things, you probably need to make exceptions for Bonjour for Windows, TiVoNotify.exe, TiVoServer.exe, TiVoTransfer.exe, and possibly TiVoBeacon (if you don't use the Bonjour option).

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Surely Trend Micro has a logging function to declare what it's acting on. With that you should be able to "whitelist" (or "ignore") the app?

4. cpres75

cpres75 New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    You would think this program would have that feature...but they "upgraded" their software and now it will not function properly.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you saying that Trend Micro "upgraded"?

Just use the free version of Avast.

6. bulls1234

bulls1234 New Member

May 15, 2011
    I have the same situation. I uninstalled trend micro and installed avast. I will try that. If nothing else fails I hope.

7. maddmaddmaxx

maddmaddmaxx New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    I had the same issue - contacted tech support and got the following fix which worked for me:

(Direct Quote from Tech Support)
    With regard to this, we will need to modify the registry entry of Trend
    Micro to work with TiVO application. Here is how:

Part A. Quit All Components

1. Click Windows Orb > All Programs> Trend Micro Internet Security>
    Trend Micro Support Diagnostic Toolkit.
    2. On the Diagnostic Toolkit window, click on [C] Uninstall tab.
    3. Click on “Stop All Components” button.
    4. Close the window.

Part B. Modify Trend Micro registry entry
    Note: It is advisable to create a backup when modifying the registry, below
    is the link for the backup procedures:
    http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/Creating-and-restoring-the-Windows-system-registry-backup.aspx

1. Click Windows Orb button at the bottom left part of the screen.
    2. Go to “Search” text box.
    3. Type REGEDIT and press Enter key. The Registry Editor window will
    appear.
    4. Click the plus (+) sign on the HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE key.
    5. Click the plus (+) sign on SOFTWARE.
    6. Click the plus (+) sign on TREND MICRO.
    7. Click on NSC folder.
    8. Look for and rename TmProxy entry to TmProxy1. (Please note this is a folder)
    9. Close the Registry Editor window.

Part C. Start All Components

1. Click Windows Orb > All Programs> Trend Micro Internet Security>
    Trend Micro Support Diagnostic Toolkit.
    2. On the Diagnostic Toolkit window, click on [C] Uninstall tab.
    3. Click on “Start All Components” button.
    4. Close the window.

After following the steps, you should no longer encounter the same issue.