Tivo Transfer and fall update

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by markblesher, Oct 13, 2007.

1. markblesher

markblesher MBL

Oct 13, 2007

Advertisements

I have two tivos and a PC on a home network. I have been using the PC as a "library" for downloaded shows (mostly kid shows) and have about a 100 shows and tv movies stored.

Since the 9.1 update on 10/7. I can no longer transfer the shows from the pc to the tivo. Connectivity is fine, from the Tivo I can see the PC, browse the library of stored shows, select one, I see the information on the show (summary date recorded etc) however when I click go ahead to transfer it I get a transfer error.

I upgraded tivo desktop to 2.5 and no change. Initially thought I had a media rights issue but that was not it. I have no trouble transferring from the Tivo to the PC.

New shows recorded after the 10/7 do not work either. I restarted the Tivos several times to see i it was an issue with the application of the update, no change.

Rather frustrating that a perfectly working environment got trashed.

Any ideas

Mark

2. drron

drron New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Appleton,...
    Sorry, can't help, but I wanted to bump this up as this is the exact problem that I am having. The network works perfectly except transferring shows from pc to tivo.

3. mike3775

mike3775 Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I've had the same issue. Sometimes it even reboots my Tivo as well.

4. jcondit

jcondit New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Is anyone having a problem transferring from the Tivo to the PC after the Fall Update?

I know this might sound like a networking issue but sometimes I can get a show listing from my TivoToGo and start transferring but other times it won't finish getting the listings before it says it can't contact the Tivo. When it does error out it's always at the last part, say getting 193 of 245 and before listing the shows in panel. This all started happening after the Tivo Fall Update.

Does anyone know what's going on or have encountered the same problem?

5. ZZip

ZZip New Member

Mar 9, 2005

Advertisements

I didn't notice a problem transferring files to my PC after the fall update, but I can no longer use those files, since they changed or broke the format

6. JediRich

JediRich New Member

May 20, 2002
    I also am having problems transferring from TIVO to PC.
    When it tries to build the list of shows it errors out.

I have to exit tivo desktop 2.5 and then start program again.
    I tried this about 8 times before the list got build successfully.

I am now trying to transfer... its running.

I have two tivos with 9.x software

7. jdmatl

jdmatl Member

Apr 26, 2003
    TivoDesktop 2.5 won't show in "Now playing" for me.

PyTivo and TivoDotNet do show in "now playing". Trying to browse files in either has massive re-fresh errors to the point where I can't use Tivo.net.

Countless reboots of PC and Tivo's won't bring TDesktop into my "now playing.

All problems after I get that horrible FU2007 "upgrade".

8. Pmack714

Pmack714 New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I don't know if this helps anyone, but I have no problems with PC to Tivo transfers. I have two 240s and one 540, all three with the 9.1 update. The difference here is I never upgraded to Tivo Desktop 2.5; I'm still using 2.4.257.475. I'm also running XP SP2.

9. jcla

jcla New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I'm having some connectivity issues since the Fall Update as well.

When I clicked on "Pick Recordings To Transfer", it eventually said it couldn't connect to the TiVo due to network problems.

Closing the TiVo Desktop and relaunching caused comms to resume, but the list was only partially transferred before it failed again.

It always seemed to fail right at the end of the transfer.

Kept trying, and eventually (probably around the fifth try), the list populated.

I haven't tried transferring any shows from my PC to my TiVo yet.

I've got a Series 2 wired into my home lan, and the other end is a PC running Vista with TiVo Desktop 2.5 Plus.

10. mikegotroot

mikegotroot New Member

Jan 1, 2007
    From my 540 it doesn't work, it gets maybe 20% thru building the list in Tivo Desktop then errors out. My newer Series 2 works however.

I wonder if its a timeout issue, as the 540 is DEAD slow after the 9.1 update. So is the other Tivo, but not nearly as slow as the older 540. I suspect it could simply be that the 9.1 update is bloated and slow than something times out in the Tivo Desktop software - and assumes its an error.

I can copy between the Tivos, although copying from the 540 sometimes errors out.

Also, I too am having the copy from PC to Tivo reboot error. No consistency as to when this happens, or what makes it happen. Both the 540 and the newer Series 2 do this when copying from the PC.

Finally, the 540 has numerous video problems. Most of the shows I copied (or copy) from my PC to the 540 have no video. This is even the case for shows copied to the Tivo *before* the 9.1 update, so its not the copies themselves, the 9.1 code broke something on the 540. The exact same shows copy from PC to the newer Tivo 2 and video is fine on that Tivo.

So, whatever they did broke lots of stuff, and it seems to be worse on older Series 2 like the 540.

11. ckarpells

ckarpells New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    I am having the same problem. Can't even go Tivo to Tivo. Suggestions

12. sfedoriw

sfedoriw New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Get the same message - unable to transfer due to a transfer error..... check the recording history and the same generic error, unable to transfer due to a transfer error.

multiple pcs and both dvrs. i ruled out network as well seems to be the fall '07 update when it started. pc to tivo is the only issue. dvr to dvr and dvr to pc all work fine.

tried the 2.5.1 desktop - same thing with no luck.

13. AlwaysNeedHelp

AlwaysNeedHelp Alwaysneedhelp

Aug 8, 2007
    I'm also having the xfer issues from PC to TiVo. It appears to have started the middle of the month. Is this when an new version was released? Being new to TiVo, how do these bugs get fixed and is there so communication or acknowledgement from TiVo that there's a problem?

14. adamb4040

adamb4040 New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    May as well add mine to the list also, the only difference is I am using Mac. I can see all the shows on Tivo, but none of them will transfer to my Mac after the Tivo update. Not real happy about this.

15. BarryD99

BarryD99 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Jacksonville,Fl
    I too have this problem. Has anyone tried calling Tivo support?

16. murryamorris

murryamorris Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Using 2.5.1 on Vista Ultimate I also lose my PC in Now Playing on both an S3 and HD (one wired, the other wireless). If I reboot the Tivo, the PC shows up again and I can transfer.

17. mikeney

mikeney New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I just called customer support and although they won't admit it, the fall update requires different ports to be opened on your PC (I use a Mac, but assume they are the same ports.) After opening TCP ports 2190, 5353, 8101, 8201, 8200, the computer TO TiVo transfers work again. Good luck!

18. murryamorris

murryamorris Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Some issues might be firewall related but there definately is a problem with the fall update on transfers. I set my firewall to allow all outbound and inbound traffic on Tivo software for the Tivo IP addresses (UDP and TCP). That usually fixes connnectivity but lost transfers (ones which start and then die) should not be a port issue.

19. jordbarnet

jordbarnet New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I just called tivo - it is an encryption problem . "Tivo is aware of what is going on" per the tivo representative. No timeframe was provided as to when this will be fixed, however.

20. mrlumpy

mrlumpy New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Same problem here - I can transfer files to my PC just fine, but what is the good in that if I can't get them back to my TiVo?

EDIT: I tried opening the ports listed by #17 - still no dice. I can still send shows to my PC, and play music/view photos, but I can't pull shows back to my TiVo. That makes the whole thing kind of useless.