TiVo Toshiba with upgraded drive ONLY boots disconnecting DVD ROM

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by espressomac, Oct 11, 2020.

1. espressomac

espressomac New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Coral...

Advertisements

Well, I'm stumped. I upgraded my Series 2 TiVo Toshiba RS-TX20 to a 1 TB drive and the only way I get it to boot up is by disconnecting the power from the DVD ROM drive.

Upgraded drive: Western Digital Purple 1TB WD10PURZ.
    IDE to SATA card: HDE 2 Pack IDE/EIDE/PATA Computer to SATA Hard Drive Interface Adapter (from Amazon)

With the DVD connected, I hear a very faint click click coming from the power supply and I don't hear the WD powering up. When I disconnect the power from the DVD ROM drive, the WD powers up, and the TiVo boots up without a problem. (There is a message on the main screen that says "Invalid or unsupported disc inserted" but that's referring to the powerless DVD ROM drive.) I can see all the programs that were transferred to the WD drive and the recording capacity now indicates 275 hours at best quality.

I'm guessing:
    1. The power supply can't handle the Western Digital AND the DVD ROM simultaneously -- which would suck
    2. Something is amiss with the jumper settings. The DVD ROM is jumperd to Master and right now the WD has no jumpers. The WD has four jumper positions, but I can't find documentation that indicates Master or Slave, only things like "Native Gen 2 Enabled" and "SSC Enabled".

Well, I guess it could be something else, but I'm here because someone might have a solution.

Thanks in advance.

2. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Check for a jumper on the adapter card itself and not on the sata hard disk to set it to master or slave.

espressomac likes this.
  3. espressomac

espressomac New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Coral...
    You may be onto something! Yes, the adapter card does indeed have a jumper, and as far as I can figure out, it is set to Master. I'm going to switch it to Slave and report back.

4. espressomac

espressomac New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Coral...
    Well, switching the jumper to Slave did NOT work -- it hangs in the Welcome Powering Up screen. However, I then removed the jumper from the adapter card and this time it booted! (With the DVD ROM connected to power.)

The problem is that I'm now getting an S03 error when connecting to the mothership. It seems that every new connection advances a little more before getting the S03 error. The last one got to 82%. Just initiated a new connection and we'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed, but either way I'll report again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  5. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago

Advertisements

S03's are common on older equipment - it generally means there's an issue with running out of memory during the garbage collection process (while removing the old data/importing new). Each connection should get farther and farther, but it'll take time. Just let it sit there, it'll get out of it's own way eventually.

6. espressomac

espressomac New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Coral...
    I read somewhere that TiVo suggests disconnecting the device for 72 hours. Tomorrow morning will be 48 hours. Also, the 'green screen' or the kickstart 57 option did not fix it. But I got up to 89%. Maybe I'll try another connect tomorrow morning. I'm sure it will eventually fix itself. I just want to be able to designate this upgrade as completed.