Tivo to Tivo with only one network adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by typer922, Jan 16, 2006.

1. typer922

typer922 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I was wondering if there was a way to transfer a program from one tivo to one in another room if i only have one USB network adapter. I transfered the program fine from the first tivo to my pc. But when i try and transfer it from my pc to another tivo it gives an error message saying it can't do it because the program was recorded on tivo with a different media key number. Any suggestions?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Does the Media Access Key you've typed into TiVo Desktop match the other two TiVos? They should all be the same (assuming they're all on the same account).

3. typer922

typer922 New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Nope. I have a roomate and he pays for his own service on a different account.

4. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Then no can do, via ethernet anyway.

If you "save to VCR" on the one with the program, and manually record the A/V input on the other TiVo, it would work. If you don't have anything programmed to that input (satellite or cable box, that is), then you'd have to "repeat guided setup" and tell it that you have both RF cable and satellite. (pick any satellite provider, delete all but one channel on that provider and that becomes your "line in").

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That's why then ... the TiVo terms of service prohibit you from sharing recordings across accounts. Usually the same household is one account, but in your case, two different accounts means no sharing of recordings between the two.

6. mail

mail New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Another solution is to put both of the units under the same account. This will save both of you money, the second unit is discounted. If your roommate moves just remove it from your account. It is a month to month.

This should solve your problems.