Tivo to Tivo transfer rate

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by katemayer, Sep 20, 2011.

1. katemayer

katemayer New Member

Sep 20, 2011

Advertisements

We just upgraded 2 series 2 tivos to 2 premiere tivos. We have never had a problem transferring between the 2 before. It would take a 30 minute show 10 minutes at most, usually significantly less. Last night we tried to transfer our first show from one to the other. We started the transfer around 10pm last night and this morning it still had 10 minutes remaining to transfer. I'm guessing this isn't right, but I'm not sure where the hang up is.

Both are on the wireless network, but they always were. There is no option of hardwiring either one of these into the network. We do have a n router with tivo g network adapters. This wasn't a problem before, not sure if it could be now. They both have excellent signals 90% and above.

Anything I should be checking or doing to improve this speed? Current transfer speed was .3mb/s. That just won't work for us.

Thanks
    Kate

2. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    I recently had the same thing happen but this was on two series 2's. For YEARS they were on a wireless network and transferred fine then all of a sudden it would take over 12 hr to transfer a 1 hour show. Anyway try to change the wireless channel your router uses. I changed mine from 6 to 11 and actually my transfer rate is faster than ever.

EDIT: Before you try anything you may also want to try to reboot your modem, router, and each TiVO

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Premiere should transfer HD in faster than realtime.

Every so often a transfer can have a hiccup. These are what I would review:

Have you tried canceling/restarting a transfer (same/different show)? Perhaps there was a network hiccup that caused a problem or a coding issue with that specific show. Does it happen in both directions? Try tivo to PC, what do you see there? how about rebooting them and restarting to see if that helps.

Also, there is always an option to hardwire, but it sounds like that is either ugly, difficult, or expensive. I have one hardwired and was lazy with the other, the only one I ever have an issue with is with the wireless unit.

4. katemayer

katemayer New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks techmonkey. Didn't think about restarting modem and router. Will try that. If that doesn't work, I'll trying switching the channel. I also considered going back to g router because that's what the adapters are, but not sure if that will make a difference or not.

Thanks jrtroo. We tried canceling and restarting the transfer from box a to box b and vice versa. Less than 1mb/s going either way. I did not try transferring to a PC. We tried restarting the system as well. Hardwiring just isn't an option for the location of the boxes.

5. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California

Advertisements

If your N router is working with other devices I would stick with that. N is backward compatible with G and should work fine. Lets us know if any of the fixes work.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I would also move the machines so that you could transfer with hardwire and review the speed. Also, it was not clear if you tried a variety of shows or if it is the same show. Looking to understand if this is a wireless issue or something else.

7. katemayer

katemayer New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    We tried different shows. 4 different 30 minute shows and 2 1 hour shows. We finally just let the 1 hour show run to see how long it would take. I can see if we can relocate all the equipment to hardwire, but I was hopeful that was not going to have to happen.

8. katemayer

katemayer New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi again. I did everything except hardwire our tivos. I don't how we can do this. Our TV's are mounted to the wall and they are nowhere near our router/modem. I transferred to Tivo destop 3 shows in less than 2 hours via wireless. However, tivo to tivo is still super slow.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think the suggestion to hardwire was "do it temporarily as an experiment".

One thing that won't hurt and might help is to give the TiVos static IP addresses. One thing fewer to be able to go wrong.

10. katemayer

katemayer New Member

Sep 20, 2011
    I just switched back to my G router and while it's not super fast. An hour show took about an hour, a lot better than almost 7 hours! I guess I have a router issue.

11. Leon WIlkinson

Leon WIlkinson TiVo Gone Wild

Feb 13, 2000
    TiVo Town
    could it of been a IP issue with other router?

If you had the router set to connect to b,g&n networks try only g & n, on that note try only g network on it if able.

12. techmonkey

techmonkey New Member

Jan 13, 2009
    California
    Did you try to change the router channels? You can even try on your G router. Although 1 hour is better than 7 that's still slow. I use a OLD Linksys G router and a 1 hour show takes about 15 mins to transfer but this is on Series 2 Tivo's

13. bdspilot

bdspilot Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I had a similar issue a while ago, It turned out to be interference from my son's wireless gaming headset. I believe it was interfering with the N band.

good luck

14. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I strongly recommend checking to see if your N router can take DD-WRT and if it can, flash with that and see if it helps your issue. DD-WRT is excellent alternate firmware for routers that is generally more stable and offers more flexible options for configuration. Check the router database link at dd-wrt.com to get started.

15. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Couple of Questions

The TIVO Series 2 record SD Quality. The TIVO Premiere can record at HD Quality.

The amount of data in one hour HD shows is much more than a one hour SD Show.

Was the show you are trying to transfer HD Quality? If so waht length 2hr, 1hr, 30 minutes?

The location and signal quality can also impact the transfer rate. Usually I would suggest having a laptop as close to the tivo as possible on the same wireless network and do a speedtest. See what the transfer rate is

16. rdlm

rdlm Member

Apr 6, 2003
    I agree with ghuido that the problem is likely due to the Premier recording in HD vs our old Series 2 recording in SD. To get reasonable transfer rates, I ended up installing a dual-band N router and adapters on both Tivos. This got me back to transers faster than real-time.

17. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Here's a couple of data points. While I have not tried transfers to/from my new Premiere, I have tried transfers to/from a S2DT and a S3HD and a S3HD to my capable desktop computer. In general, SD transfers in about realtime while HD takes longer because of the extra file size. With a hardwired connection from my S3HD to my desktop, the transfer rate was between 4 and 5 GB per hour.

As for DD-WRT, I have flashed several Linksys wireless G routers but I'm not sure if it will work with any wireless N routers (check their website for compatibility). I use only wireless G for my home network and I suspect that the Tivo is the bottleneck, not the wireless. One thing that DD-WRT helps with is that you can increase the signal level which may help keep the transfer rates up from one corner of your home to another. Crank it up too high, though, and you will increase data errors.

18. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Also don't forget that S2 to S3 transfers also need to factor a file conversion step. it's not a straight file copy but there is some up conversion in formatting due to the different series. Always found that same show transferred from S2 to S2 over the same network faster than S2 to S3.

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have noticed my Tivo to Tivo transfer rate is MUCH slower if I have Tivo Desktop running. Are you using that by any chance?

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Running TiVo desktop should not be affecting your TiVo to TiVo trasnfer rate. It's never made any diference when I've had an S3, TiVo HD or Premiere.

Now if you are running wireless and TiVo desktop is transferring from another box or something else is using your wireless connection, then your total available bandwidth over wireless will be reduced. This is why I have four Access Points. With only one, it would be saturated and my wireless devices would slow to a crawl. With four, my wireless devices can get plenty of bandwidth.