TiVo to return to the UK

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by craig@rewind, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1 of 135
    craig@rewind

craig@rewind New Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Chelmsford,...
    I was at the Broadcast Digital Channels conference yesterday and it was announced TiVo is to return to the UK via Freeview. There will be a DTT PVR with TiVo technology built in. No more details were announced. It will launch this year though. The announcement was made by technology company Decipher.

I got excited anyway! :eek:

2. Jun 7, 2006 #2 of 135
    andyjenkins

andyjenkins New Member

Jul 29, 2001
    England, UK
    Interesting. My daughter will be pleased :)

Shame if they would miss the Sky market though, but not all of us need or want dual tuners (with the advent of +1 channels). I can understand them skipping these subscribers - as to provide a dual tuner box would require customers to get a dual LNB - and lets be honest, how many would? And I can't see Sky+ subscribers buying a TiVo to replace their Sky+ boxes either. Still would have been nice to get a new box for the living room though.

3. Jun 7, 2006 #3 of 135
    davisa

davisa New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    A freeview TiVo for the UK is excellent news - welcome back TiVo! While not exactly what I'd want (I'm on Cable) I'm probably not the target audience anyway. I hope it will have an external source input - but I assume it won't. Probably get one anyway though!

4. Jun 7, 2006 #4 of 135
    George

George Yet another member

Nov 14, 2001
    Newbury,...
    Sounds very good news, however I have to say I'll believe it when I see it (or when Gary confirms it :)

5. Jun 7, 2006 #5 of 135
    fister

fister New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Belfast, N....
    I'd be happy if TiVoPony confirmed it also ;-)

6. Jun 7, 2006 #6 of 135
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    I've not heard anything.

7. Jun 7, 2006 #7 of 135
    kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Well, now you've defected to the dark side... ;)

8. Jun 7, 2006 #8 of 135
    AENG

AENG New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Bedfordshire
    TiVoWho? ;)

9. Jun 7, 2006 #9 of 135
    bignoise

bignoise New Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Decipher isn't a technology company, they're "digital media consultants" who spend lots of time coming up with papers about what they think is happening in the market and how advertisers/broadcasters could react to it.

10. Jun 7, 2006 #10 of 135
    TimmyRaa

TimmyRaa New Member

May 29, 2002
    Reading, UK
    As a long-time user of TiVo, I sold it last year in favour of a Freeview PVR. I may have paid £200 for it, but I'd still be tempted by a Freeview TiVo! I'm amazed TiVo didn't license the technology to someone like Topfield or Humax, for use in one of their PVRs. I'm sure this is covered somewhere else on the forums here though!

11. Jun 7, 2006 #11 of 135
    Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    If there's a freeview Tivo sign me up!

OTOH this sounds more like speculation than an actual deal - if Tivo had signed a deal like that they'd have announced it themselves.

12. Jun 7, 2006 #12 of 135
    yaffle

yaffle New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    I'd love a new TiVo, but a freeview one is pretty useless to me until they extend coverage to my part of London :(

13. Jun 7, 2006 #13 of 135
    TimmyRaa

TimmyRaa New Member

May 29, 2002
    Reading, UK
    What part of London could possibly be out of the coverage for Freeview? The underground?? ;)

14. Jun 7, 2006 #14 of 135
    Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    If this is true sign me up too, I'm just experimenting with building a Media Centre PC but I'd rather have a new Tivo.

15. Jun 7, 2006 #15 of 135
    TheBear

TheBear Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Cornwall
    I think they are possibly making a mistake.

Imagine joe public in Currys (Or whatever) and the salesman says: "You can have this Hingfungo freeview PVR for £129.99, subscription free...or you can have this TiVo freeview PVR for the same price but you'll need to pay £10 per month to use all the features".

Which one will the public buy?

Sure, people have heard of TiVo but will they be willing to pay a subscription?

TiVo need to bring out a PVR that is unique and can therefore justify the inevitable subscription.

16. Jun 7, 2006 #16 of 135
    fister

fister New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Belfast, N....
    TiVo service will revert to TiVo basic after 30 days unless you pay £10 pm I suppose.
    I seem to recall that Humax were on this site a while ago asking about TiVo and what we thought of it. I think they then went and did their own DVR

17. Jun 7, 2006 #17 of 135
    andyjenkins

andyjenkins New Member

Jul 29, 2001
    England, UK
    But TiVo is unique. As far as I'm concerned, and I guess 100's (1000's?) of others are concerned, there's no PVR on the market today thats worthy of replacing my 5 year old+ TiVo.

Does'nt that tell you something about TiVo ?

My car's last a lesser time than my TiVo does. Heck - my women last lesser time !!! :eek: :D

18. Jun 7, 2006 #18 of 135
    aerialplug

aerialplug Serious TiVo User

Oct 20, 2000
    Swansea
    If this is true (and I really hope it is), I also hope they include the functionality to record from a second set top box via a scart and IR dongle, like the current model does.

A dream TiVo for me would be one with a built in 2 tuner freeview reciever and the ability to record off Sky only if the channel isn't available on the internal tuners.

Analogue UHF would be a waste of resources since it would have a limited shelf life as almost all regions will have switched off analogue by 2012.

My series 1 TiVo's lasted longer than analogue's got left!

19. Jun 7, 2006 #19 of 135
    Stradlingp

Stradlingp New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Nice, France
    Without an 'official' announcement this is all hypothetical of course but....

perhaps they will use the same strategies as in the USA. i.e.

virtually give the hardware away but tie the consumer in for a year. It works for mobile phones.

or give the service away for a period of time and then hook the junkie (I mean consumer) by taking away their Tivo service which they can no longer live without :up:

Whatever happens (and hopefully this rumour is true!), TiVo will have to be much better at marketing this time round.

Ironically, the existence of Sky+ may help to educate the masses.

20. Jun 7, 2006 #20 of 135
    mrtickle

mrtickle Active Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Birmingham, UK
    They'll have to improve the guide data considerably before re-launching IMHO. The data is the cornerstone to how well TiVo works. Orphaned season passes are NOT funny; and when new customers suddenly discover their favourite programme hasn't been recorded for no obvious reason they'll want answers.
    At the moment with so few problems being reported, you'd think Tribune and TiVo would mop them up and fix them quickly. If anything I'm finding it harder getting data fixed than it used to be :-(