Tivo to PC Monitor question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ampex, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ampex

ampex New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I've got a question for the experts here... I'd like to temporarily hook my Tivo Series 2 DT up to a computer monitor, in order to verify an upgrade I'm planning. If I could find a way to do this, I could do the upgrade at work in between projects. Because this is temporary, I don't care about the picture quality. It could be 640x480 and Black and White with no sound for all I care. I'd prefer to not have to spend $50 on a converter if possible, I'm hoping there's a cable that would accomplish this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If the monitor has no AV in, as in only VGA, you need a converter box.

Or go buy a used CRT TV if cost matters.

3. kdsnet3410

kdsnet3410 New Member

May 15, 2011
    You can get a USB capture device for around 10 bucks and stream the feed using VLC. ThatÂ’s what I do when working on a tivo or game console. Plus you can use the capture device for its intended purpose when you are not monitoring your project.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Look on Craigslist, find one of those little 5 inch screen battery powered type televison sets from before the digital switchover. Save it as an emergency, work off of the same UPS as the TiVo during the next blackout, video monitor.

Leave your VGA monitor connected to your computer.

5. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    If you can find it, the ATI TV Wonder 600 USB is a decent little device that will let you plug in any coax source and display it via its own software or Windows Media Center. I actually use WMC to view stuff off of my S2 DT which basically sits in a corner and collects dust otherwise except during long power outages. This ATI device also has a remote control, antenna, and built in HDTV OTA tuner so wherever you have a PC with USB you can get HDTV OTA. Works great during our power outages. I know they don't make that exact device anymore but you should be able to get one cheap used or it's successor. I saw used ones on Amazon for about $10. Also, you must know someone who has a regular old cable ready TV laying around they would just give you or loan you. I can't seem to get rid of all of mine. I put them on my street corner for trash day and the pickers will not even take them. Although, they didn't hesitate to tear apart my 30 year old couch to harvest the steel fold-out bed frame.