TiVo TO PC HELLLLLP

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by meandmypc, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jan 9, 2007 #1 of 10
    meandmypc

meandmypc New Member

Jan 5, 2007

Advertisements

I'm trying to connect my TiVo to my PC via USB200M----ETHERNET CABLES----5 PORT SWITCH, the TiVo recognizes the adapter but not my network. I don't have broadband internet and no router, i have static ip address' between the two as so..
    PC ---------------------------------------- TiVo
    ip add-----192.168.0.1 ------------------------------192.168.0.2
    subnet----255.255.255.0 --------------------------- 255.255.255.0
    gateway--192.168.0.2 --------------------------- 192.168.0.1

Have also tried direct connect using a crossover cable with same settings, still didn't work.

All i want to do is transfer movies from the TiVo to my PC. I have a series 2 with latest software and TiVo Desktop on my PC, do i have to have a router or am i doing something wrong.

2. Jan 9, 2007 #2 of 10
    Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    What model TiVo?

3. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Stop making multiple posts of the same thing in different forums.

4. meandmypc

meandmypc New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Just trying to get help from different people BITE ME

5. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA

Advertisements

Posting the same question in multiple forums, then resorting to verbal attacks when someone corrects you is definitely not the way to get help on this forum.

6. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    can you ping the ip address of the pc from the pc?
    can you ping the ip address of the tivo from the pc?

do yourself a favor and get a hub instead of using a crossover cable.
    How did you install the networking on the tivo in detail?

7. thsheehy

thsheehy New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but I have a somewhat related question and I promise not to attack anyone...

I currently have a Linksys wireless router and two series 2 TiVo's in the house both on wireless adapters. The router is G rated but one of the TiVo's still has a B adapter. I want to speed up transfer times but don't want to spend the $50 on a TiVo G adapter so I was just going to run a cable. I have a NETGEAR FA101 adapter and was going to plug that into the TiVo then the cable from that to my router....
    My question is two fold... Can I use a Cat 6 cable or does it have to be a 5 or 5E...

and secondly, what kind of cable do I want, a Patch or a Crossover cable???

8. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    Most newer routers can use either a patch or crossover and just make the switch internally, but if you want to be sure get a patch cable and use 5 or 5E for the cable.

9. thsheehy

thsheehy New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    So get a 5E rather than a 6?

10. thsheehy

thsheehy New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks for the help. I plugged my FA101 into my TiVo, ran the 5e cable up the wall, through the ceiling and to my router and BAM, worked like a charm, no nonsense and I'm now copying from the bedroom TiVo (on a 11G wireless adapter) to the living room TiVo (now wired to the router with the Cat 5e cable I just installed) at a 1 to 1 ratio. It transfers both directions at the 1:1 ratio instead of the 3:1 it used to take... I Love it.