.tivo to mpg win 8.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by craftyfolk, Mar 17, 2014.

1. craftyfolk

craftyfolk New Member

Dec 29, 2006

Advertisements

This may not have come up as yet. Direct Show Dump worked on win 8.0 I just upgraded to win 8.1 and it no longer works. I tried to reinstall windows framework and win 8.1 would not install it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Reinstall TiVo Desktop?

3. craftyfolk

craftyfolk New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    No, tivo desk top seems to be OK, I will check thoroughly & reinstall if necessary.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If the files play in Windows Media Player then TiVo Desktop is installed properly. If they don't then ensure you entered your MAK correctly and try again.

What exactly is happening in DSD? Is it refusing to install? Or is it not working? IIRC it uses .net, and a pretty old version, so there could be some conflict there.

5. craftyfolk

craftyfolk New Member

Dec 29, 2006

Advertisements

Tivo desktop works great, Windows Media Player will not play downloaded .tivo files. I have downloaded k-lite with no success. Direct Show Dump does not start in win 8.1. DSD worked fine in Win 8.0. Nothing happens, is there another program? Perhaps paid?

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Then, you need to reinstall TiVo Desktop.

WiMP and DSD both depend on DLLs from TD to work with .TiVo files. If they're not working, then presumably they're not finding the DLLs. Reinstalling TD is your best bet for putting them back where they should be.

Yes -- Tivodecode (and the various front-ends and other programs that depend on it) is the non-TD-dependent way to decode TiVo files. However, it's not yet fully compatible with the new-style, "fast mode" transport-stream .TiVo files.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Windows Media Player uses DirectShow for playback. As the name implies DirectShow Dump also uses DirectShow. So if you can't get the files to play in WMP then they wont work in DSD either.

If you want another point of reference you can download the trial of VideoReDo. We use the same DirectShow DLLs in VRD, but we don't depend on any other codecs like WMP so if it doesn't open in VRD then it's definitely a TiVo Desktop problem.

8. craftyfolk

craftyfolk New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Thanks, I will try Video Re Do. I am fairly disgusted with windows 8.1 & MS in general.

9. craftyfolk

craftyfolk New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I found Brorsoft TiVo Converter and this little program seems to work just fine. It is slower than Direct Show Dump but is more controllable.