TiVo to MPEG: Can't do HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by nyc10038, Jan 18, 2010.

1. nyc10038

nyc10038 New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I have long been using Direct Show Dump to convert TiVo to MPEG without problems. However, when I try to convert TiVo HD programs to MPEG, it gives me an error message and doesn't complete the conversion process.

Since the conversion process all stops at a bit over 4GB, my guess is that HD programs are too large for Direct Show Dump to process. Does anyone know a way to work around this problem (e.g., a similar freeware that can do this, a command I can use in Direct Show Dump, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Is your drive formatted using FAT16 or FAT32? Those filesystems have a max file size of 4GB.

Also, I believe DirectShow Dump has been superseded by TivoDecode. See here:
    http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/

For batch operations, you should check out kmttg. Among other features, it provides a GUI front end to TivoDecode:
    http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have no problems using VideoReDo to convert tivo files to mpeg files.

4. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I was using DirectShow Dump to convert my HD programs to mpegs and didn't have a problem. I had a problem trying to edit out the commercials with all the other programs besides VideoRedo.
    Although I am on Vista x64.

5. nyc10038

nyc10038 New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    spocko said:
    >Is your drive formatted using FAT16 or FAT32?
    >Those filesystems have a max file size of 4GB.

Thanks for your quick and precise advice. This was it. I use my external HD as the conversion file destination, and it is FAT32-formatted! I changed the destination to my internal HD, and everything is good. Thanks, again, for your help.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    There is a command line you can execute to change your FAT-32 drive to NTFS without any data loss:

To convert a FAT32 partition to NTFS, you can drop to the command prompt (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and then type:

convert c: /fs:ntfs

The above example assumes you're converting C:; substitute a different drive letter as necessary.