Tivo to Go strategy

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dgoto, Mar 20, 2020.

1. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010

Advertisements

Tivo to Go strategy, I plan on buying a Tivo edge as my main unit but also retaining my Tivo Premiere and using the Tivo online function to transfer files from the Edge to Premiere and using the premiere tivo desktop or similar software to retain the option to moving Tivo files to my desktop. For those using the Edge does this make sense? Any suggestions?

2. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010

3. dgoto

dgoto Member

Apr 29, 2010
    I appreciate all of the responses to my strategy, I was hoping to get some feedback on this idea, does it makes sense or do you think it will work?

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It sounds like a measure that others have used.

The one item of possible concern: at one point in time, IIRC, TiVo Online wasn't cooperating nicely with transfers--the recording, once copied over to the new box, wouldn't play past 10 or so minutes into the recording. I don't know if that ever got fixed. I believe that @JoeKustra had experience with this glitch.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

If you have a 4 tuner Premiere, you could just buy a new mini to get the faster interface and access the premiere from the mini. Much cheaper.

powrcow and dgoto like this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are correct. However all my testing indicates that the freeze happens only with programs with SM applied. I never had a problem with movies from HBO or HDNET Movies and always had playback issues with SM programs.

7. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    In you strategy you only mention moving the files FROM your Tivo TO your PC. As I understand it there is no problem moving Tivo files directly from the Tivo to your PC using pyTivo. So in that case you wouldn't have to use the Premiere at all.

If you intend to move Tivo files FROM your PC TO the Tivo you will need to use the strategy you outlined above in reverse.

If I'm wrong hopefully someone will correct me since I don't use TE4.

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I use kmttg and Plex. KMTTG is awesome for automatically grabbing shows, stripping commercials and placing them on a local share. Plex automatically indexes them and makes them available for offline and remote viewing.

It is an awesome mix of tools.

Do I miss the ability to push content back to the TiVo? I miss local trick play - but I really hated the limited indexing and foldering, so I stopped using that functionality long before I moved to Hydra.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  9. dadrepus

dadrepus Active Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I do the same.

10. LarryAtHome

LarryAtHome Active Member

Feb 18, 2008
    The last post in the TiVo2go thread in the EDGE section indicates that transferring files directly to a PC with the EDGE is now working. Maybe someone else can confirm this.