Tivo To Go Plugin for Sonic Software is available?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by mearlus, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Mar 2, 2005 #1 of 33
    mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    I recieved an email from sonic with this subject line: NEW MyDVD 6.1 now burns TiVo files!

So my curiousity got to me and I clicked on the link within it to see what it added to a cart. Low and behold it had the Sonic MyDVD Studio 6.1 and then below that item it has "TiVo to Go Plug-in For Sonic Software" listed as FREE DOWNLOAD.

Now, as I didn't purchase the software I wasn't able to download it. I'm curious to know if anyone has installed the plugin. If so, does it burn tivo files in a menu format that looks like Tivo menus?

I can't find any screen shots on sonics site.

Thanks

2. Mar 2, 2005 #2 of 33
    MikeShortMI

MikeShortMI New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Southeast...
    I finally got arround to buying the 6.1 version of MyDVD this last weekend (on 2/26). Once I installed it I was very pleased to see that it was compatible with my Tivo files without having to download and install an extra plugin. :)

I guess waiting paid off.

3. Mar 2, 2005 #3 of 33
    mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Compatability isn't a problem. I can play and burn the tivo files without problems. With a few modifications that can be dug up on these boards, I'm even now able to play the tivo files with mplayer on my FreeBSD laptop :)

I'm just looking for the Tivo style menu being burned to the DVD like some previous screen shots for TivoToGo have displayed. I believe the Tivo's that have a DVD burner built into it burn these menus to the DVD already, but I have not seen it 1st hand yet.

That's pretty much the only 'feature' I'd be willing to pay for. Automation for burning w/ Tivo style menus. Everything else I can do with one of the versions of software I already own.

4. Mar 2, 2005 #4 of 33
    hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    Do you have a link to that plugin?

5. Mar 2, 2005 #5 of 33
    mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    A link to the Plugin Download, No. The item appeared in a shopping cart (without a link) when I went through this link:
    http://websiteemails.roxio.com/rd4/ck/5182-27332-5788-5?m=11-462&e=805a01f43e1f

If you click the continue order button the second item on the Checkout window is the TivoToGo Plugin For Sonic Software w/ a image of "FREE" next to it in the price column.

Now, I would assume if you have a registered version of MyDVD6.1 (maybe others) that if you go to their support page and updates or downloads you might be able to download the plugin... But as I said, I did not purchase it so I don't have a license to find that info out.

6. Mar 2, 2005 #6 of 33
    lizellis

lizellis New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Here's a link to the TiVo patch:

http://support.sonic.com/kb/default.asp?type=desktop&product=mydvd

but it doesn't add TiVo-style menus. The only difference that I can discern is that there's now an option to "add recorded T.V. shows" as well as the one to "add files" It doesn't seem to make much difference in the scheme of things.

When you get to the page, type in go tivo as the keywords and it will be the first result on the page.

Someone else posted this a few days ago but I couldn't find the original post. :(

7. Mar 2, 2005 #7 of 33
    mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    That looks more like a patch for a flaw in the trial version that stopped recognizing the tivo files after it had expired (and I assumed bought after it expired). That support page does not refer to it as a Plugin. Sonic has said before that they are/were working on a plugin for TivoToGo and it would be released at a later date after the initial MyDVD6.1 software was released. I would have a hard time believing that this patch is the plugin.

8. Mar 2, 2005 #8 of 33
    lizellis

lizellis New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I think you're right. Sorry for the confusion.

9. Mar 3, 2005 #9 of 33
    hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    Yeah, after I posted that I went through the purchase process and saw the plugin. I have a registered version and tried like hell to find some way to get the plugin from the website. I didn't find anything, but I'm holding off on calling Sonic because I think I'll kill someone if I have to teach some Sonic rep about their new software. I may have the patience after a beer or two, however.

10. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, that's the thing that kills me. I've been working in the IT industry for about 8 years now and when I have problems finding info about software or need help from support about some issue and the company i'm contact doesn't know (or at least the rep I talk to) how to do it, I can't imagine what a normal everyday Tivo/Software user goes through. I usually just sit back and wait a few weeks to see what 'unrolls' but most people don't have the patience or understanding.

I hate when one hand of the company knows about something but then the other hand doesn't. Don't release something unless you're going to inform everyone!

(Waiting for this plugin and to see what it actually does is why I haven't purchased the software yet. Who knows if they'll eventually charge a fee to download the plugin if you already have 6.1)

11. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    So I just got off the phone with Sonic, and tell me what you think about this. I think it's BS and that the guy was misinformed/underinformed.

He claims that for the first 30 days of the v6.1 release the Tivo functionality (i.e. just the ability to burn *.tivo files) was bundled together with the v6.1 software because Tivo had a month's exclusivity with Sonic. The plugin, he says, is actually JUST that functionality that has been REMOVED from the v6.1 installer now that it's available for general release because new users would presumably not necessarily want the Tivo functions. He swore up and down that it was nothing that I didn't already have with my "pre-release" version of myDVD v6.1. I'm calling shenanigans.

12. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Wow, if that's true... That's pretty lame. All this hype for nothing! On the bright side, that might mean that the 30 days are up and now other vendors are able to produce their own plugins etc w/ Tivo. It might have been that Sonic paid Tivo some money to get that limit exclusive right to get all of the Tivo owners to buy their software right away rather than waiting.

Interesting...

13. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    I really just can't believe that they went to all the trouble to pull it out when it's not even Tivo branded in the software. The only visible evidence of the functionality is a button marked "Burn recorded TV shows" and that's not even there without the patch. Sounds more to me like the tech. rep. just didn't have the info. I'm trying to dig up that Sonic press release that talks about the plugin coming "later in Q1 2005".

Additionally, if I had ANY faith in Sonic customer service I'd buy another copy of the software w/o the "plugin" just to prove that I could still burn .tivo files. Then I'd call and raise some hell. Too bad I know I'd be left holding the bag, so to speak.

14. Barry Basiliere

Barry Basiliere Retired & Loving It

Jan 28, 2005
    Southern Cal
    I have had the Sonic 6.1 Delux Suite since 2/12/05 and have nothing but problems with it. I have tried everyting from converting my existing files to downloading "patches". The patch did not fix the problem. Now when I call I get a recorded message that phone support will be billed at the rate of $1.20 per minute. I follow the prompts and end up getting through without having to furnish credit card information. I have now made 7 calls to Sonic and am no further than I was after the first call. I am playing email tag with second level support which is EXTREMELY frustrating.
    I think TiVo needs to get into bed with a more reputable company to make their TiVoToGo product work as described in their advertisements.
    I called TiVo and spoke to a supervisor's supervisor and after explaining that I was getting the support run around I was advised that they had no way of putting pressure on Sonic and that I need to contact Sonic for support.
    All I can say at this time is "Good Luck".

15. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    ...well, sort of. So I called Sonic again because, well, I hate being misinformed. This time I talked to Juan who was much more helpful. The Tivo Plugin that is being offered as a free download with new purchases IS in fact a new plugin. Here's what he says it does:

1. Adds a Tivo icon to the activities menu somewhere (with the dancing TV emblem) that presumably links to Tivo recordings.
    2. See #1

Yeah, that's it. Now I don't know if he knows EVERYTHING about it, but he did find the plugin I was talking about - as opposed to the guy I talked to earlier - so I'm inclined to give him some credit.

Of course there is one other possibility. It may be that Sonic has repackaged the aforementioned patch as a "Tivo Plugin" to cover up the fact that they screwed up with the release version and that the "Tivo button" he told me about is just the "Get recorded TV shows" button.

He did say that Sonic would be emailing all registered users with the Plugin as an attachment. He said it' a small .exe file and wouldn't give me a download link (couldn't or wouldn't, unclear). He mentioned that the email would be coming from "support@sonic.com" and to check my junk mail. So far everything I've received from Sonic Support has been from "websupport@sonic.com". Take that for what it's worth.

If it is, in fact, just the patch repackaged, I wonder if there's still something else in the works.

16. wiz

wiz Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    I filed a web support request on Sonic's support site. Based on past experience I suspect I'll get worthless a response sometime in about 3 weeks.

(Sigh)

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They send the plugin as an email attachment? How crappy is that. I would never run it no matter who it says its from.

18. hyachts

hyachts New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Nashua, NH
    Yeah, that sounded suspect to me, too. Keep in mind that this is a first-tier CSR. While he did find more info than the first monkey I talked to, he's still fallible.

19. mearlus

mearlus Member

Nov 1, 2004
    Madison, WI
    Sending it as an EXE file in email is just plain dumb. All of the mail servers I have built for clients have explicit rules that auto-delete any email that contains an executable attachment. They should have a link to a download on their site in the email if anything.

20. Barry Basiliere

Barry Basiliere Retired & Loving It

Jan 28, 2005
    Southern Cal
    The patch can be found at the Sonic Support site. Go there and select the knowledge base tab, type Go TiVo and click search. Select the reference to MyDVD loses TiVO functionality and follow the instructions. I did it. It added the copy from TV button but the Sonic software still does not work right and support is very difficult to get.

BTW - I spoke to Juan twice, Jeremy twice, Roland twice and Hal once. I have had second level support (by email only, they must not have phones) by two separate support techs, Peter Bacon and Ivan Lo and still have no definitive answers.

Good luck all.
    I really wish TiVo would find a RELIABLE vendor to go to bed with.