Tivo to dvd disc problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rwhite8278, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Rwhite8278

Rwhite8278 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    I am trying to transfer Tivo recordings from the DVR to my PC to a DVD disc. The problem I am having is that the video file is too large to fit on a DVD.

I transfer the Tivo recording to the PC then I use Tvharmony to convert to MPEG or AVI. The MPEG end product is still too large for DVD. THe AVI end product isn't recognized by my sonic burning software or WMP for that matter.

I am using the base model of MyDVD that came w/ my Dell to burn the DVD. I am using DVD+R 8x 2hr Imation 4.7 gig discs.

I think that the solution is to upgrade the MyDVD software. Maybe a different brand of software would do it.?

I would also like to be able to cut out the commercials. Tv harmony is supposed to do that but doesnt seem to work.

Any advice or reccomendations will be greatly appreciated.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The DVD burning app should give you the option to record to a lower bitrate, to fit more on a disc.

3. Rwhite8278

Rwhite8278 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Even the entry level MyDVD software? Ill have to check the manual.

4. Rwhite8278

Rwhite8278 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    I got it to fit on DVD, but at too low of quality and of larger size than I want. Ive downloaded Stargate sg-1 from limewire in the past. It comes as a 350+/- meg file with awesome resolution. Judging from the Sci-fi logo in the corner, it is clearly copied from TV. I assume that it is recorded w/ tivo, but I suppose it could be direct PC video capture.

What I would like to know is what software is capable of taking an hour long Tivo recording, convert it to a common mpeg, remove commercials and make it a smallish file.

5. omahasubaru

omahasubaru New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Gretna, NE
    perhaps the aptly named 'DVD Shrink' software would work for this application.

Worth a download and a try.

6. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    TV Harmony will cut the commercials out. It works pretty well. I do it all the time when converting to AVI. Haven't converted to MPEG, so I can't speak on that.

7. Rwhite8278

Rwhite8278 New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    I tried converting to avi w/ tv harmony. The resulting file wouldnt play w/ any software i have.

8. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Huh. Works fine for me. What format did you set it to convert to?