Tivo to Desktop

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mobiledynamics, Dec 31, 2011.

1. mobiledynamics

mobiledynamics New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    For those familiar with Tivo 2 Desktop, does it does what it really states.
    One can transfer ANY recorded item to PC, and then burn to disc.
    Burn to disc = mpg, etc --- DRM free ?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Desktop does not convert or burn to DVD, just transfers to PC by .tivo file.
    VideoReDo TVSuite will let you edit out material, burn to DVD, convert from DVD to .mpg/.tivo, etc.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Any recorded program can be transferred, as long as it hasn't been tagged as copy protected (Tivo Desktop will show you). Depending on your cable company, some programs may not be transferrable. If you are OTA only this shouldn't be a problem.

Having said that, Tivo Desktop (free version) is just a means to get the program to your computer. You will need other software to convert the .tivo file to an .mpg file.
    • I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) you can accomplish this task in one step if you use 3rd party software such as kmttg.
    From there you have to use your own DVD authoring software to burn a DVD.

As noted above by ThAbtO, VideoReDo TV Suite version 3 is highly recommended (and well supported) because it works directly with the .tivo files and burns DVDs.

4. gamo62

gamo62 Member

Oct 12, 2002
    Nero does NOT support .tivo files, and Roxio cripples the resolution to 640x480 with BOTH Toast AND Creator 2012. They say it's TiVo's fault. In any case, VideoReDo is the best program out there. I could never get kmttg to work.

5. Jan 1, 2012 #5 of 12
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    you'll be lucky to find 2 out of 100 programs that you can transfer from your tivo to your desktop. and i'll bet they won't be the 2 you care about ...

/guy

6. Jan 1, 2012 #6 of 12
    mobiledynamics

Dec 31, 2011
    The OP was actually in lieu of replacing a Humax Tivo DVR we have.

My friend is in the PR, tends to like to record any *placements* they have had on television - hence the DRM comment.

7. Jan 1, 2012 #7 of 12
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    in YOUR experience, as always the OPs situation may be different.
    MY experience is that I have ZERO protected files on my Tivo's thanks to the joy that is Verizon FiOS.

8. Jan 1, 2012 #8 of 12
    mobiledynamics

Dec 31, 2011
    If *provider feed* is relevent, the provider is RR if anyone has any insight.

9. Jan 1, 2012 #9 of 12
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Are you referring to Road Runner internet service? If so, that is irrelevent in this discussion.
    If RR is a cable company, then you need to find out if they apply copy protection on the channel you wish to record the *placements* from.

Cable company copy protection is the only thing that will stop you from transferring the *placements* from the Tivo to the computer.
    Again, if you will be recording from an antenna (OTA), then copy protection will not be an issue.

Once the file is on the computer, the "Tivo DRM" is irrelevent. There are various software programs available that can take a '.tivo' file and render it to a run of the mill '.mpg' file, which can then be burned to a DVD.

10. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    You are right. My tivo has everything Copy propected. Can not do any thing with this. What BS.:thumbsdown:

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

+1. yes I have zero copy protected files on FiOS too. As does my girlfriend. although my GF is OTA only.:D

12. Joey Bagadonuts

Joey Bagadonuts New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Anaheim, CA...
    Consider yourselves VERY fortunate. I have TWC and, just as one poster pointed out, about 5% of my programs are transferable and rarely is it a program I'm interested in transferring. PLEASE Verizon, come to Anaheim CA!!! I can't wait to have an alternative to Time Worst Cable.