Tivo Thumbs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Weapon X, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X New Member

Nov 14, 2005

Advertisements

Can somebody please explain the thumbs scale????

In other words....what exactly does one thumb down :thumbsdown: mean as opposed to 2 thumbs down :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: and so on.........and thumbs up :up: :up: :up: as well.....

Thanks.................

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Super-triple-top-secret algorithm for determining the recording of suggestions.

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you really only want to use one thumb up or down unless you dislike the entire genre like cop show and then go two thumbs down some.

think of it like this for down (and the opposite for up)
    one thumb - do not like the show and do not want it in suggestions
    two thumbs - do not like the genre and the actors are kind of lame
    three thumbs - do bnot like the genre, the actors the producers, the director the propguy and the horse they all rode in on.

so when you go three thumbs down on a show that had a guest spot by Bruce Willis then you knock out all his movies as well.

best thing is to just one thumb down shows you do not like and over time the TiVo will get the category. If you really dislike soemthing like reality game shows then 2 thumb down a couple of them but leave it at that.

also bear in mind that multi thumbs up or down makes the TiVo work harder as it has to go through a lot more data to process the thumbs when looking for suggestions to record.

4. Weapon X

Weapon X New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks.....that is kinda what I figured.........I appreciate your input...... :up: :up:

5. juanian

juanian Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chandler, AZ

Advertisements

ZeoTiVo,
    If that is how the thumbs work, then I'll be adjusting the thumbs settings on my shows. I just figured that more thumbs was a higher weight for the general attributes of a show, and not actually delimiting on the exact categories (which I guess makes the algorithm easier).

Thanks!

6. OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    Simply redoing the thumbs for existing shows will NOT correct the skewing that too heavy thumb use may have caused.

In the above example if you gave 3 thumbs down to a talk show that had Bruce Willis as a guest (Say Leno) and then, at a later date, gave the same series three thumbs up Bruce Wills would retain the negative bias introduce by the first thumb rating unless he reappeared as a guest under the new rating,

I have found that if suggestions go bad because of over use of thumbs it is best to reset the thumb ratings and suggestions using the reset menu and then go through the guide setting ONE thumb up or down as desired.

After that use one thumb rating to get suggestions where you want them by rating the shows that TiVo suggests.

7. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Somewhere along the line Tivo has changed how the suggestions work. Now it seems like it will not record a show if I give it a thumbs up it will only record similar shows that I have not rated. It used to rarely record something I had not rated and would usually pick shows I had given thumbs up to. I preferred the old way.

8. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Zeo, you gave me a much needed chuckle for the day! The crack about the propguy and the horse was a riot!

"one thumb - do not like the show and do not want it in suggestions
    two thumbs - do not like the genre and the actors are kind of lame
    three thumbs - do bnot like the genre, the actors the producers, the director the propguy and the horse they all rode in on."

Do we know for sure that 3 thumbs down will register against Bruce Willis and not simply the talk show genre itself? Or does it slam both? (Along with the Dockers he wore!) Would it also pick up on any other guests-- say a musical group, comedian, etc. that was appearing?

And would it register that negative for anything with Bruce Willis? Or anything with that comedian?

Hmm... time for me to look at my Suggestions list... which, IIRC, rarely lists all the shows for which I've put in Thumbs Up and Down.

I'm wondering whether I should just reset my Suggestions and start over...

Would it populate Suggestions based on my Season's Passes? That would be a good starting point!

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    well the unknown part of the system is how much of a hit or boost everything takes. I doubt it would knock out all Bruce Willis alltogether but if it is looking at action movies as a category it thinks you like then Bruce Willis will have a definite negative impact if you three thumbed down moonlighting (I think he was in that series) and you might get Rambo instead. Not so sure about the Leno example but I think it has the possibility of some negative impact.

generally the message is that 3 thumbs has unknown consequences that makes the TiVo think too hard. My mian point os just use one thumb on multiple shows adn two thimbs if you dislike the genre.

since season passes gets one thumb up by default then OldDog's idea of going into suggestions and rating them one up or down will over time train suggestions much better then other approaches. Something to add is I do sometimes chnage a season pass to one thumbs down - this was the case with my law and order passes since so many of those shows were on but I did not want them in my suggestions.

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

I reset mine yesterday after reading this thread and realizing that giving 3 thumbs down to things like"Will and Grace" would do more than just stop recordings of that show. After the reset, my suggestions screen was blank even though I have many season passes.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    it will fill again but at first based on what season passes and wishlists you have since they all get one thumb up by default.

12. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks for the input! I think I'll try the resetting... but I should ask, has anyone done that under OS 8 and am I risking some mess up if I do it?