tiVo testing streaming of showcases?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pdhenry, May 26, 2011.

1. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I happened to pull up the Showcase menu on my Premiere tonight (looking for evidence of Hulu Plus availability) and I noticed that in addition to a few Teleworld showcase videos (recorded from a TiVo-targeted TV broadcast), there's a selection of "TiVo Video Library" clips that play via YouTube.

This seems to be the natural way to distribute Showcase content to S3s and Premieres since they can stream from YouTube. I'm wondering if this might be a soft-rollout of a new method of distribution.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It's not new; they've been doing it for a while already. The better part of a year, I think. (I remember that the first one I saw was fireworks-related, so I'm thinking that was last July.)

3. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've noticed that TiVo no longer airs 2 half-hour blocks on Discovery. They have been airing only 1 half-hour Teleworld ad crap-fest for the last several weeks. Sending it via internet can save TiVo quite a bit of money because TiVo has buys time on many OTA channels across the USA for those who don't have cable or otherwise receive Discovery.

4. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    It only makes sense. I'd be shocked to learn that they were still sourcing those showcases via recording broadcasts nowadays. That always struck me as an inefficient (albeit clever) workaround anyway.

5. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I guess not everyone has their TiVo on a broadband internet connection even now (epecially S1/S2 owners). If they're going to sell Showcase ads they've got to buy the airtime to reach everyone, although putting it on the Internet might be more efficient.

6. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    They are still. The streaming versions are only for a portion of the showcases.

7. 59er

59er TiVotee

Mar 27, 2008
    New York, NY
    I just tried watching the TiVo iPad app video through the showcases, and it was a painful experience: Frequent quick flashes of black kept occurring, following each of which my TV would display the active input (as if the signal were lost and then refreshed, each time).