TiVo Tells How to Get Viewers to Watch Ads

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by DaddyBC, Jul 17, 2007.

1. DaddyBC

DaddyBC New Member

Aug 21, 2005

Advertisements

We think it’s amazing that you need to actually hire a company to do this research. A couple of phone calls to TiVo users would have probably worked but….

New data from TiVo seems to indicate two approaches that keep viewers’ fingers off the fast forward button are at opposite ends of the spectrum: either a bare-bones, direct-response model or the entertaining, high-production-value approach of movie ads.

TiVo’s StopWatch data, available since February, analyzes second-by-second viewership patterns by an anonymous, aggregated and random sample of 20,000 TiVo units.

TiVo says that some of the least fast-forwarded ad campaigns were direct-response commercials.
    Direct-response ads for sporting goods, exercise equipment and Air Hogs toys, for example, were among the four least-fast-forwarded campaigns in April. Meanwhile, in May, among ads airing in prime time on broadcast networks, three of the top 10 ads were for movies, which usually consist of the most entertaining and eye-catching scenes from a coming release.

The increasing availability of such data illustrates the intense scrutiny being placed on the venerable 30-second commercial. What this means is that ads will be put under the microscope as never before — and as TiVo’s new data point out, some long-held assumptions about which ads stand out may be put to the test.

Here is another thing that does not not surprise us. Even ads placed in the most popular prime-time programs can’t stop someone from pushing the fast-forward button.
    TiVo’s data shows that in April and May, some of the highest-rated commercials appeared in programs that were not among the top 10 most viewed for either month (to be fair, most of these ads still ran in hit shows such as “House,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “American Idol”).

Placing ads across various TV channels, as is often done, means advertising has become more and more of a guessing game, with marketers hoping to connect to that small subset of individuals who are watching a particular show but are in the market for, or interested in a specific advertisement or product.

This kind of data is leading to several different reactions within the industry. Some media buyers are calling for longer commercials, while others expect a complete breakdown of the ways in which ads are placed and sold, so that advertisers can request specific placement of ads at particular moments — and who may pay a premium to do so.
    Others expect ad agencies to start to move in one of two directions: working to generate enough buzz so that consumers are eager to find out more about particular ads and products, or dampening the hype and offering more bare-bones information, much like paid-search ads online.

More info is available from the http://www.make-this-work.com/blog/?p=578

2. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I think, Job One for advertisers, is to get their friggen ads into widescreen. Providing ads in 4:3 when I'm watching an HD show just makes it easier for me to know when to stop fast-forwarding (when the pillar bars go away). I can't believe that the data didn't indicate that.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    After they spend money doing that it will just require a little more thumb dexterity, but won't stop the skipping practice.

4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    If they actually made the commercials entertaining to watch then people might be inclined to view them rather than skip. I always enjoy commercials from Capital One, Bud Lite, and several others. That doesn't mean I'll buy their products but I'd be more inclined to watch the ads. I also watch movie previews and ads for upcoming new shows on TV.

I'll watch car ads if I'm not familiar with the vehicle just to see what it looks like. I would never buy one based on a TV commercial, however, but I might be inclined to read a review in a car magazine if it looks interesting enough. I'd never buy any brand of beer or most other consumer products based on TV commercials. Unfortunately, my wife has a different mindset when it comes to TV ads. I think most of the products we have in the house have the "As seen on TV!" logo stamped on the box. PT Barnum would have liked her. :D

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

up till now most TV ads for major brands has been about branding the product. How many actually buy beer based on nutrional information? For a lot of consumers it is about the feeling around the product if it is a commodity product. Even some higher scale products are getting branded now - witness the Captain ads for Captain Morgan and "out with friends" ad for Wild turkey.

So the entertaining route is better for products but they would have to be real entertaining - adults do not have the same propensity to watch the same thing many times. Once you have seen the viking ads for capital one a few times you are not going to keep on watching them. The ads have to keep recycling as well to keep our attention.
    Still it is the show I am interested in and would rather get back to the show so the ad will need a lot of pull to make me slow down. A new PC/MAC ad will make me slow down though..

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I may be in the monority, but I never even give a commercial a chance. i would never have any idea whether it was a good one or a bad one, they are zipped thru in any case.

The best advertising for me is the Featured Ads that Tivo occassionally places at the bottom of the NP list, usually for cars or new movie releases. I step thru them many times if I'm interested. I've always thought that Tivo should be able to expand this feature (unobtrusively) and generate some additional revenue. Maybe they could even incorporate the internet pay-for-clicks approach and provide a 50 cent credit for every one I watch.

7. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Well now somebody FINALLY came up with an idea that would get me to click one of those infernal things. For that I'd click one every time I get up and leave the room....

8. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Big ****, short skirts.

9. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
  10. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    How did the top rated commercial in the April data occur on Mar 27?

Including the show rating next to the commercial rating would be helpful.

11. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    Typical marketing group. Doesn't even know what month it is. :D

12. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Amen. Miller Lite Fountain Wrestling anyone?

[NG]Owner

13. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Here's my advice:

1. Don't yell at me!

2. If you're trying to be funny, you'd better succeed. Few things are more annoying than a failed joke.

3. Even if you come up with a good one, don't run it into the ground. I have a shirt that I love, but if I don't change it, it starts to stink!

14. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    + (.) (.)

15. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    True, but even then, I'll only watch a commercial once. Commercials for many products are especially effective when reinforced by repeated viewings. To really achieve what would be necessary to get people to want to watch, advertisers will basically need to produce a few minute-long television programs, with full production value, including SFX, every week, all year long. Could that kind of expense ever be more profitable than some of the less expensive methods that we've talked about before (product placement; running ads at the bottom of the screen during the programs themselves, etc.)?

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    If you're in the minority, them I am too. And I'm willing to bet there are enough of us to nearly make it a majority :D (at least of TiVo users)

17. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Have you been analyzing the StopWatch data from my TiVo? :D

Seriously... I always stop skipping when I see scantily clad women in the ads. Sad but true.

I also stop for movie trailers, and for tech stuff.

By the way, why are there so few ads for technology/consumer electronics products on TV?

18. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Are you talking about commercials, or people responding to your posts? :)

19. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    LoL! Definitely commercials, though I guess it applies to posts too. :)

20. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Let's just say I've been stuffing the ballot box myself, so to speak. ;)