TiVo talks cable, satellite deals in Q2 results; DirecTiVo exposed! (video)

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sbiller, Aug 24, 2011.

1. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    well its about time we see something! what are the chances this new unit will have an OTA tuner? Did I read correctly that Charter cable may get in on a Tivo?

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    By the back of the unit showed on the video it will not. It has only a sat swm and sat.

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Great to see that TiVo has continued to put the brakes on their subscriber losses. Things have actually reversed on the MSO front with a net gain of 10k subscribers. Owned subscriber losses were down a bit but the change is too small to call it a win.

5. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    33k sub loss is still a bitter pill. Until that stops they are a going concern IMO.

6. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    :D"...the company seems particularly excited to see the current state of patent warfare going on, trumpeting its 210 issued patents and 389 applications."

Excited, people thought the circus had come to town when the whole department of TiVo lawyers emptied out where the program engineers use to be and were seen doing cartwheels to the bank.

(But its short money)

7. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Since it is based of the HR22 Directv receiver hardware I think I wonder if the AM21 over the air add on tuner would work with this for I know it does with its hardware cousin I guess in the end it will all depend on the Tivo software to support it.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No MRV is a deal breaker. Especially if the DTV DVRs can do it.

9. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    Old, sad interface and no MRV. Unbelievable.

10. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Oh no, we suck again! Thanks but no thanks DirecTV...you will not win me over as a potential customer with that POS box.

11. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Well the deal breaker for me is no OTA tuner. Directv would have to make me a VERY sweet deal to get me to switch over. Especialy since I already have a full blown Tivo that does everything I want it to...and more. And as far as the old interface and no MRV and such, I just really have to wonder what impact Directv had on that. Remember...this is all to fulfill an agreement. From Directv's eyes... I have honored that agreement, but there's no way I'll let them have all the Tivo bells and whistles when I'm trying to sell my own DVR. I believe it's just that simple. I think Tivo has had one hand tied behind their back on this one.

12. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My opinion is that TiVo started working on this a long time ago and either did not put sufficient resources into it or just took much, much too long. The hardware platform was current when the deal was signed, but DirecTV moved on. TiVo added a (sort of) new UI to their new boxes but did not apply it to this one, either because the contract didn't provide for it (likely) or TiVo decided not to.

DirecTV doesn't really need this product anymore. If TiVo had delivered on time, things might be different.

13. Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Funny how you think the timing is TiVo's fault.

14. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Let's not forget that DirecTV has NEVER been enthusiastic about this new DirecTiVo, and even the short training video is laced with qualifying remarks about how the TiVo either does "the same as DirecTV DVR's" or "won't" or "can't" do what the DirecTV DRV's can, especially the lack of MRV: that one was REALLY stressed on the video. It all seems like a kind of subliminal message being sent to installers who view it. Putting negativity in their minds rather than what may be appealing or compelling about the TiVo product offered by DirecTV, other than "another option."

So, basically the new DirecTiVo is a Series 3 able to access DirecTV. Big Deal! Well, it is a sure sell to TiVo diehards, but not compelling to what subscribers want today: MRV! DirecTiVo based on the Premiere would have been more compelling to subscribers and there is NO GOOD REASON, MRV compatible with DirecTV could not have been achieved. But all this, it seems, was really up to DirecTV, not TiVo.

So, Michael White got what he wanted: a old legacy TiVo to compete with his state of the art MRV DirecTV DVR's. TiVo was shafted on this, but Tom Rogers really couldn't afford to mess things up with DirecTV. One only has to compare the TiVo enhanced products in the UK, as one example, of what could have been achieved with DirecTV, but Direct, IMHO, wasn't interested providing the latest and greatest TiVo has to offer their subscribers.

Too bad TiVo is leaving us retail folks behind.

15. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    MFR DATE 05/25/10 :rolleyes:

16. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I do.

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know who's to blame, but it's not unreasonable to think that DTV could have bogged TiVo down with constant software/hardware revisions to delay the D-Tivo's release.
    Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

18. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Probably not the hardware - we know it's based on the HR22 which has been around for a few years. Yes, there might have been software changes required to keep up with what DirecTV has done with their other boxes. We will probably never know.

19. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    We have already seen that they added a free space indicator. That is something TiVo didn't do on the S3 platform because they didn't consider it woth the supposedly substantial effort it would require. The box is supposed to also have all the color button features used with mix channels, weather, sports scores, etc. That would all have been new development for TiVo with nothing prior for them to build on. My guess is that all that UI work on their old rickety UI was partially responsible for the delay. Also the server side stuff for some of that may have come from NDS, who may not have been very helpful to TiVo when they needed information about it. I also think that part of the delay on this project could have been TiVo putting all hands on deck to work the Premiere and starving this project for a while.

So I think there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

While that is all pure speculation, I agree that we will probably never really know.

20. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Having had the crippled TiVos of the past that Directv sanctioned..... I'm going to blame Directv for this. I'm sure they had no intention of allowing TiVos box to actually compete with theirs.