TIVO Takeover?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PaperFriend, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1 of 80
    PaperFriend

PaperFriend Member

May 31, 2011
    Texas
    businessweek.com/news/2011-07-01/tivo-2-4-billion-takeover-seen-after-fight-with-dish-real-m-a.html

July 1 (Bloomberg) -- TiVo Inc., the unprofitable pioneer of digital-video recorders, is ripe for a takeover that may hand shareholders a 94 percent return after settling a seven-year patent battle with Dish Network Corp.

2. Jul 2, 2011 #2 of 80
    DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Ugh - a takeover would more than likely be by a patent troll and would probably kill Tivo as we know it. I hope I'm wrong, especially since for the first time in a long time with the Elite things are getting interesting!

3. Jul 2, 2011 #3 of 80
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I thought Tivo was suing itself in to profitability. Oh well. Actually I wouldn't mind a Google takeover. So far they've done most things right from my viewpoint. I'm sure there will be detractors from that statement.

4. Jul 2, 2011 #4 of 80
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    As long as some firm continues to provide the channel lineup to existing equipment I couldn't care less whether or not TiVo, Inc. is acquired by another firm. Why? Because my machines all have lifetime plans in place. No price adjustments would have any impact on me!

5. Jul 2, 2011 #5 of 80
    KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    With Google trying to buy Hulu, Tivo would be a nice addition.

6. Jul 2, 2011 #6 of 80
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Google just bought DVR software already. They don't need tivo. Although prior to that purchase I'd have hoped to see Google buy Tivo I doubt that is in the cards now.

Microsoft has been rumored to be making the next gen Xbox ready for TV watching and DVR capability. Now we all know media center is already great at that so Microsoft is out as a purchaser. That said their major competitor Sony may be interested in keeping up.

Directv wouldn't piss on Tivo if it was on fire. They already went the smart route and bought replay tv.

Dish doesn't need tivo anymore.

Perhaps a cable co but they have already put a lot of time an effort into their DVR's most of which are now approaching Tivo capability or have already surpassed it. I don't see it happening.

7. Jul 2, 2011 #7 of 80
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Possibly. We'll need to wait and see. MS bought Skype even though they have MSN Live which IMO was better than Skype. I hope its not a cable company.

8. Jul 2, 2011 #8 of 80
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would have to see who will purchase TiVo and what the plans are before I could speculate about whether it will be good for customers or bad for customers. It should be evident by this late date that there is no way TiVo can be operated profitably as it is now. I think the reason is simple, there is no market large enough willing to pay the price necessary for the companay to operate profitably. I don't see how another company can fix that. Google already has other plans unless it would be to eliminate competition and Microsoft doesn't seem like a company interested in TiVo. DirecTV and/or Dish would have already puchased TiVo if it made sense for either of the satellite companies. A cable company might be the most likely but which one? It seems like a waste of time to speculate until more is known.

9. Jul 2, 2011 #9 of 80
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be great if Microsoft aquired TiVo.

10. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007
    Funny how the only sources for this 'story' are investment firms that work in mergers and acquisitions.

What are the odds of that?

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I don't know. They don't seem to like to even advertise or mention media center. For example at E3 they mention tv on the xbox 360 but don't even mention media center which can already do this. They supposedly have embedded boxes coming but I fear it will be like whs and media center extenders. Third parties will invest initially but then get out of the market.

Don't get me wrong I think a combination of TiVo and media center would be the best of both worlds, but I can see them also doing it where it doesnt benefit both users. For example they hired the guy who developed the web scheduling tool for media center and then didn't add the functionality to windows 7. Until recently as a result they didn't have the ability to remote schedule. Now finally someone released a tool, remote potato, that can do it.

12. eskovan

eskovan Member

Sep 30, 2002
    Well yeah, but what about when in a couple years when they all fail (and we all know they eventually will) and you can't even buy a new TiVo box cause whoever bought them out did so just to gut them (i.e. sell the existing inventory, support the subscribers for a few years, then rebrand some POS OEM DVR (ComCast, DISH, Optimum etc.) with nothing more than the TiVo name?

Why can't TiVo be Microsoft and not idiot Apple, the software's the key! Anyone can put together a DVR, they need TiVo software running them all!

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Michael Boccio, a spokesman for TiVo, said the company doesn’t comment on rumors or speculation in the market.

14. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    In a couple of years hopefully it won't matter since we will potentially have AllVid where we will have even greater choice in what boxes we can use.

15. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    This is the article from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-01/tivo-2-4b-takeover-seen-after-fight-with-dish.html?cmpid=yhoo

The part I find interesting is this:

“The most likely buyers include Microsoft and Google, said Janney’s Wible and Maxim’s Harding. Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has wanted to offer a set-top box and have a presence in television systems through cable operators, Wible said. Given its involvement in a lawsuit with TiVo, it may prefer to buy the company than to risk losing and paying a fee, he added.

TiVo’s television search capability would appeal to Google, the world’s biggest Internet search engine, as it tries to gain a foothold in living rooms with Google TV, according to Wible. It would also complement the Mountain View, California-based company’s acquisition last month of SageTV, a DVR software maker to be integrated with Google TV, Harding said. Google TV lets users search online video and other content on their TV screens.

Rovi, the provider of on-screen guides for TV program listings and audience measurement services for advertisers, would also make sense as a buyer, according to Wible. TiVo measures DVR viewing habits with second-by-second data.“

Remember all this is just speculation on Bloomberg part. Of the three I think only Google would keep TiVo going. Rovi I never heard of. Microcrap will just end up killing TiVo, way they will end up killing Skype in about six months from now as long as Steve Bumhead is in charge.

There also this from the Fool:

http://www.fool.com/investing/high-growth/2011/07/01/is-dish-building-the-perfect-beast.aspx

Feel free add your own speculation. :)

16. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Funny, all spokesman for the “other” companies all made the same statement. :rolleyes:

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    just pointing out it was all speculation on some investor analyst's part.
    same as you noted in your other post :)

18. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Except attract consumer customers. Google exists to sell ads. I bought a Tivo because I don't want to watch ads.

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Google has plenty of products that are ad free. Tivo does not.

Also, I think they have done a STELLAR job at attracting consumers. Android and iPhone are neck and neck despite iPhone having a two year head start.

20. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    It's hard to look into the crystal ball.. but..

From what I have heard, it is known now that Microsoft bought Skype to replace/enhance it's communication system in Xbox Live, Windows Live, GFWL, etc.. and that one of the main reasons for the purchase was that it was basically a free purchase. Microsoft skipped bringing in some profits from overseas Windows 7 purchases and instead of sending the money to the taxman.. bought Skype. Smart, very smart.
    SEE:
    http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2011/05/13/165902/microsoft-skype-tax-havens/

Now.. Tivo is hq'd in the USA. Not the same deal.. so Microsoft is probably out. Google I could see (as they have tons of money and seem to have a rule that they must spend alot of it to purchase things every year).. Everyone else.. ehhhh.. like the article even says.. it's old patents and why now?

I side with nobody is gonna buy Tivo. It is all speculation. If Tivo moved it's HQ to Sweden.. then maybe after Windows 8 comes out Microsoft will choose Tivo for it's next freebie.. but otherwise..nobody.