1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TiVo Tacks On Wurl TV’s OTT Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by BillyClyde, Mar 15, 2017.

1. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I hadn't seen this bit before, about "Jump Channels"...

Wurl TV's OTT content will appear as 'jump channels' in the TiVo UI alongside traditional TV channels
    [​IMG]

3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, I saw that. Wonder when it's rolling out to retail boxes? I checked and mine doesn't have it yet.

This is a lot like the ChannelPlus feature on my LG smart TV. It offers a bunch of different streaming channels (mainly composed of repurposed short-form web clips) from various content providers, many of them magazines like Bon Appetit and Time or websites like CNET and The Onion, that exist alongside traditional OTA channels in the TV grid. I like it and often find myself pausing for a little while on one or more of those channels while surfing. Granted, nothing there is "destination TV" -- no scripted series. But the streaming channels make a nice complement to local OTA TV as I think they fill in some of the stuff that I miss (not having cable) in terms of bite-sized news/information/talk content.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yeah, this statement in the article... "Wurl TV’s content is already featured on TiVo’s retail platform" ... doesn't appear to be accurate, since "featured" implies -- to me -- that it's released and widely available.

5. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    I thought the same thing, so I turned on my TV and Roamio, checked Settings for available video providers as well as channels in the line-up, but didn't see anything to do with Wurl TV. If it's already on some MSO boxes (which I think I also read), I'd guess it's coming soon to retail boxes. But I always thought app roll-outs went the other way around with TiVo...

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm now guessing that the "already featured" comment likely was in reference to the currently available 'Alt' channel, discussed in this thread, rather than the "Jump Channel" guide integration.

p.s. I've pinged the author for clarification...

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    They apparently own the "alt" channel, which I thought is one of those apps that I have available but disabled.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see how they (WURL, TiVo) handle customer expectations regarding the ability to record any content available through the guide; and if OnePass bookmarking will be able to simulate the recording of content for WURL-sourced content.

p.s. WURL might prove interesting if it provides an avenue for unconventional content creators to make their way to the TiVo. I think I'll pass their information along to a couple of my preferred video podcasters.

9. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Merging Streaming Channels or apps into the Guide (Jump Channels) is the key to the Future of Tivo. TIVO MUST have something unique that normal cable boxes do not have, something people want to watch. And key word is FREE
    They key to the future is have hundreds of QUALITY FREE Jump Channels.
    Even having Jump Channels to Local News Stream from all around the county (these are free) would be a value ad. Maybe put them all in the 9000 channel range so not to bump into the CATV channel.

The future is near, now just add some QUALITY Jump Channels.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Free Quality Jump Channels :rolleyes: - Good Oxymoron ;)

11. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Well it does say this at the bottom of the article.

"In January, Frequency announced that it had inked a deal to distribute its OTT video service and programming on TiVo’s retail and MVPD platforms."

I looked them up when someone suggested to me a link on AVS that talked about Frequency and that it hosts SlingTV. That would be cool!

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's interesting that they have a way to integrate OTT apps directly into the guide. That makes the prospect supporting something like SlingTV more viable.

13. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Active Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Sounds like another edition of the free Roku channels where no one ever goes, except on Tivo :eek:

14. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Has anyone seen the Wurl guide integration on their tivo yet?

15. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Channel Master DVR+ has been integrating OTT in the guide for some time. Some reviewers found it to be somewhat annoying that although the OTT service can be accessed to the guide, it still takes time to load, etc. ruining what was a smooth, fast channel changing experience. Well, that's the nature of the beast. There may be some way to deal with that in the future.

16. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Seems like these would be hard to find unless I happened to randomly browse in the 300s someplace on my Guide. Stuff under the "Find" menu at least sticks out.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

17. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    no guide integration in Omaha yet of the channels

18. BillyClyde

BillyClyde Member

Mar 3, 2017
    So you have them integrated into the guide already?

19. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    As I understand, WURL TV has to be "offer" by your cable provider before it can be intergraded into the guide.

Wurl TV’s content is already featured on TiVo’s retail platform, but it will be up to TiVo’s MVPD partners to determine when they will provide access to Wurl TV’s mix of OTT offerings.

20. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Sounds like it's not worth having anyways :/ .. had hopes for the OperaTV.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk