TiVo T6

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by weehaggis, Mar 18, 2021.

1. weehaggis

weehaggis New Member

Mar 18, 2021

Advertisements

Am I able to convert this TiVo from RF to IR (so that I can use Universal Remote) ?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It does not need to be converted because it can use both RF and IR at the same time.

PSU_Sudzi, krkaufman and dianebrat like this.
  3. weehaggis

weehaggis New Member

Mar 18, 2021
    ......but the Universal remote I bought will only recognize IR devices and as far as I know the TiVo T6 is defaulted to work in RF and in order for the Universal remote to work it would have to be flipped to IR ? I know this can be done ,I'm just not sure if my particular model of TiVo can do this ?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On Remote: Press TiVo and "C" buttons until LED is solid red. TiVo + "D" switches back to RF.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Unless the T6 is completely different that's not what the switches you posted do, all they do is swap the remote from ir to RF.
    In a retail Tivo iR and RF are always both active, all the OP needs to do is plug the Tivo code into the universal remote.

The only issue I see is if the OP is trying to teach the universal remote from the Tivo remote, which won't work without flipping the Tivo remote to iR.

krkaufman and dishrich like this.
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Like @dianebrat said, these sequences will set the remote control to operate in either IR or RF mode. A TiVo combo-RF/IR remote will only operate in one mode or the other (outside the IR fallback when RF communication has failed), while a DVR is always on call for signals of either type.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Of course, even IR control of a TiVo can be tweaked to a point where a Universal remote might have trouble commanding it ... if IR addresses are involved. But the DVR can be set to IR remote address '0', the default, to ensure it responds regardless of the address to which the IR remote might be set.