TIVO switching to wrong channel when recording.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by horizonflyer, Jan 14, 2006.

1. horizonflyer

horizonflyer New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Advertisements

I've noticed this happening about six or seven times in the past few months and now it happened right before my eyes. There have been no channel lineup changes recently, I have WOW analog cable in the west suburbs of Chicago with an older Ameritech Cable settop box, (WOW bought Ameritech Cable years ago).

Last night I was watching TV and got the propmpt to switch channels for a recording to begin, I was going to record a program on NickTV, CH 28, from 7pm to 7:30pm. I switched TIVO to CH28 manually right away, then once the time hit 7:00pm, the cable boxed switched to CH8 (UPN), but the TIVO info was still showing that I was on CH28?

I tried to switch to CH28 during the recording but TIVO wouldn't let me, obviously becuase the TIVO was on CH28, and I didn't get the usual prompt if you are trying to switch during a recorded program, again because TIVO was on CH28. I then stopped the recording and then the TV switched itself to CH28.

Anyone have any suggestions? Again, I have gone through my channel lineup settings and nothing seems to be wrong, and there have been no major channel lineup changes.

2. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Are you using an IR blaster to get the Tivo to change the channel on the cable box? If so, it sounds like the cable box didn't catch the 2 in 28 and went to channel 8 instead.

3. TivoPip

TivoPip New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Colorado
    I find an IR 'fort' around the IR blasters reduces these instances to almost never.

4. horizonflyer

horizonflyer New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Yes I am using an IR Blaster, though wouldn't it not catch the 8 in time since the 2 is the first number?

TIVOPIP - What exactly is as IR "fort"?

Thanks for the quick reponses :)

5. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Advertisements

Which number it doesn't catch isn't based on the order of the numbers. Here's Tivo's fort/tent.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1069.htm

Here's one similar to what I use.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030812005440/http://www.ameritech.net/users/pfotre/Fort.jpg

6. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    One more thing, if that happens to you again while you're watching live, instead of trying to change to 28 after the mistake, you should, change to any other channel, give approval to stop recording and change channel and then change back to 28. If you're not watching live when these mistakes happen, there's nothing you can do about it.

7. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    You should probably go in and experiment with different channel changing speeds in the setup, in addition to what's mentioned above. Try selecting a slower one and see if that helps.