Tivo Switches Channels Mid Recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by danitaz, Nov 14, 2007.

1. danitaz

danitaz New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Sorry if this has been discussed here, but the only thing I found similar was here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=333799

And this is definitely not something anyone here is doing!

We've noticed this twice now - and the second time was pretty weird.

The first time I noticed it we were watching a program about the Who. I was in the middle of watching it from the recording when suddenly it switched to another channel. I want to say it was Discovery that it changed to, but I don't remember.

Today we were watching a bunch of CSI Miami episodes that had recorded off of AETVHD via a Wishlist. 4 of them had recorded. We were watching the second one when suddenly it switched to the History Channel. Then, the next two that were recorded said they were CSI Miami on AETVHD, but they were the History Channel programs.

So, this is a Series 3, dual cable cards, etc. No one was awake to change the channel, and even if they had been, the 3rd and 4th episodes that the Wishlist recorded should have changed the channel back if it had somehow managed to be changed manually. We've never used the "record specific time/channel" function either - not even once. Recording History shows that the Tivo thought it recorded shows on AETVHD.

Anyone else seeing this since the update?

Thanks.

Danita

2. tgoldtc

tgoldtc New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    I saw something similar once prior to the update on my S3, but chalked it up to a flaky cable card. Was taping a football game on one digital cable channel, and I noticed that it was actually taping another channel (Bloomberg, I think). I stopped the recording and flipped through the channels a bit and noticed that about two or three of the neighboring channels were "shuffled" -- the shows were all there but just on the wrong channel. My cable company digital cable box upstairs did not have the same problem -- all the channels were fine on it. After 10 or 15 minutes the channels "fixed" themselves, but then proceeded to be shuffled again a short time later. This continued throughout the afternoon. I haven't noticed it since then, but the channels that were being shuffled are not channels I watch regularly so for all I know it could be happening on a regular basis. No idea what actually caused it, but it sounds similar to what you experienced.

3. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
  4. tgoldtc

tgoldtc New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    In my case, I actually checked with my neighbors at the time (who also have an S3 and the same cable provider) to see if they were getting the "problem" channel okay on their Tivo. They were receiving the channel just fine at the same time mine was "shuffled"...I only have a basic knowledge of SDV but it would seem to me that if SDV were being used on those channels it would affect both of our S3s the same (which I'll admit could be an completely wrong assumption on my part). But it certainly did seem like someone at the cable company was tinkering around with SDV at the time.

5. superdlux

superdlux New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    NYC, baby!
    I have been experiencing the same thing. NYC RCN. Series 2
    How to track down what's going on?

6. dammad

dammad New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I've seen this once since 9.2 on my THD w/CC (Comcast).. I was just watching a channel and a flipped without asking me.

I've also seen it record the same program on both tuners at one point. E.g. the same FoodTV program recorded on both channels.. And I don't have multiple season passes..

Weird.

7. superdlux

superdlux New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    NYC, baby!
    any ideas how to troubleshoot this?