TiVO Support -- I am NOT your test lab! (copying from TE4 to TE3)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by K2IE, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Sep 6, 2019 #1 of 22
    K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019

Advertisements

I recently added a TiVO Bolt Vox to my collection. I also still use a Premiere XL. If I understand correctly, the Bolt runs TE4 and the Premiere runs TE3. I want to be able to move content from the Bolt to the Premiere. Well, it is not happeneing. I can easily move content via either the interface or the web from the Premiere to the Bolt, but not the other way. it seems that a TE3 device cannot see a TE4 device although a TE4 device can see a TE3 device.

I have probably spent (wasted) a day and a half of my time on the phone with TiVO support. First they claimed they would push down a patch to fix things. After a few days of hearing nothing, I called again. I provided a case number, but the rep said there was nothing on the ticket about what had to be done. A couple of hours of troubleshooting later, the ticket was updated.

Days later, still nothing...I am going to stop the story here and not get into how every rep I speak to asks me to do the same things the last rep did. Horrible support.

The last straw is when a rep asks me to try to connect both devices directly to the router and I explain that it is impossible (all are on 3 different floors), reminded the rep that I had no problem on the exact same network connection moving files from my Premier to my Premiere XL in either direction, and I tell her that their engineering team needs to test this compatability. I tell her that I am not their test lab and that it is not up to the customer to do this. I ask for escalation to a supervisor.

After an hour on the phone with the supervisor, she asks me to connect the devices directly to the router, despite my initial explanation to her at the start of the hour that this would not be possible and that I am not TiVO's test lab.

Anyway, I am just exhausted from the ordeal.

If anyone from TiVO is reading, what is the story? Is this a known and documented issue? Will TiVO enable support for file transfer in both directions between TE3 and TE4? Or will this just not be supported?

Really, stop wasting your customers' time. You are better than this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    BeachBudget likes this.
  2. Sep 6, 2019 #2 of 22
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Why not just downgrade the Bolt to TE3?

3. Sep 6, 2019 #3 of 22
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have TE3 and TE4 and any TiVo can SEE any other device. A TE4 device can not get content from a TE3 device without using Online. If what you are saying is true, something just broke.

Rollback Bolt VOX Hydra to Classic

4. Sep 6, 2019 #4 of 22
    K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019
    @JoeKustra, when I initiate a content transfer via Online from TE4 to TE3 it never starts and never ends up on the ToDo List as it should. The other direction works fine. What kind of hardware is running your TE3 system?

@KevTech, I know that downgrading is a possiblility but that seems to have its own downsides, such as loss of new functionality. I also read somewhere that you are constantly nagged to upgrade.

5. Sep 6, 2019 #5 of 22
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle

Advertisements

What functionality would you lose?
    You would gain back the ability to transfer, thumbs would work again and you get back the Live Guide.
    Seems like you gain to me.
    I downgraded back and there is a "Get New Experience" in the apps list but I am never nagged about upgrading.

6. Sep 6, 2019 #6 of 22
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Roamio. Just tested. 93Mbps. Both are basic Roamio boxes.

7. Sep 7, 2019 #7 of 22
    K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019
    I downgraded the Bolt Vox from TE4 to TE3. Unfortunately, the Bolt can still see the Premiere XL but the Premiere can still not see the Bolt VOX. This was verified through the whole home Advanced screen. Online transfer still does not work from Bolt to Premiere.

All devices are on same subnet.

8. Sep 7, 2019 #8 of 22
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Power down all devices and bring them up one at a time. Force 2 connections on each device.

I would verify that on your account on TiVo.com that the boxes are checked for transfer. Probably are since they can see each other. Does not hurt to check though.

kpeters59 likes this.
  9. Sep 7, 2019 #9 of 22
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If the box is not checked at TiVo.com, there will not be a transfer option for any show on that TiVo. A restart is needed to test this. The other box (video downloads) is from the old days and doesn't affect anything.

Added: if the box is not checked, System Information: TiVoToGo becomes i,a,i,a since the box "looks" like a Mini in that there is no file transfer ability.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    jmbach and kpeters59 like this.
  10. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I see that you've reverted to TE3. If you accidentally hit the voice button on the Vox remote, you will be offered the oppurtunity to "upgrade" to TE4. You can disable the voice button by holding C+Tivo buttons on the remote for a few seconds to set the remote to always use IR, which means you'll have to be more careful about pointing the remote toward the TiVo for it to work. Holding D+Tivo sets the remote back to RF mode.

11. K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Did the power down and up and the 2 connections on each device. I had been through this a number of times with TiVO support. No joy.

Both boxes were already checked for transfer on tivo.com. Just for good measure, I unchecked both and saved, then checked both and save. No joy.

12. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Other things to try is to make sure all the ports are open that are necessary to transfer recordings.

13. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    My current setup has 2 bolts (one is a Bolt vox) and 2 Roamios. I do have a Premiere I can dig out to see if I can replicate what is happening to you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  14. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The effect of checking or unchecking the allow transfers box is not immediate, it takes a few hours and then a daily connection would be necessary.

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You will have to perform a restart (which will do the above service connection) or run Network Settings, Network Troubleshooting, Internet Connection. Your box has to call TiVo to detect the change.

If System Information, TiVoToGo is a,a,a,a then you are configured for transfers. TiVo Online does not check TTG.

16. K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019
    SI TTG is and was always a,a,a,a and it still didn't work. At this point, I am suspecting some software issue and am reimaging the Premiere XL box. Will report back sometime later.

17. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    Check the drive for errors first before reimaging.

18. K2IE

K2IE New Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Image rebuilt and brought up to date on the Premier XL. Still cannot see the Bolt Vox.

Can anyone with my specific config (a Bolt Vox and a Premier XL) chime in please?

19. Wigohwt

Wigohwt Member

Jun 9, 2019
    I'm not sure why you reimaged your Premiere when it was the addition of the Bolt that caused your issues. Though, if you had no recordings to save, a good refresh couldn't hurt.

Since both TiVos are running TE3, something you can try is running pyTivo on your PC. Check if PyTivo can see and download from both TiVos. Check each Tivo if they can see and download from the PC.

20. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    I was wondering about IR/RF vs BT on the new Vox remote. I downgraded to TE3 as well and I am pretty sure my Vox remote is using RF (green light) and when I press the mic button nothing happens for me at least. So I don’t get any alert about upgrading. The only “nag” of an update I see is in the Apps menu of tivo.

Curious though, is bluetooth connection only used for Mic/voice functionality and all other buttons use traditional TiVo RF pairing or of course IR if no RF?

In other words, does the remote ever even use BT for commands or is only for voice and RF/IR for everything else. I have never seen a blue light on vox remote, just usual green (RF) or red (IR).