TiVo Summer Sale addition: TiVo-renewed Mini for $99.99

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mikeguy, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just received a TiVo email: added to the TiVo Summer Sale through the end of the month (or when stock is gone), a TiVo-renewed Mini at $99.99, with free shipping.

TiVo DVR Summer Meltdown Sale 2017 - Buy Now and Save.

(Apologies if this had been posted earlier.)

Gold51 and krkaufman like this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The picture makes it look like a v2 also.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Seems a bit of an error in their Mini listing...

"The addition of a MoCA adapter is required for Roamio Pro."

listing_error.jpg
    edit: Fixed as of late afternoon.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Mikeguy likes this.
  4. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    That's a good thing, right?

Any reason to worry about a refurb? For other companies' products I've never had much concern, and a 33% discount on a mini is tempting . . .

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I would trust a TiVo refurb. The v2 means RF remote.

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's my guess as well, that they meant the OTA.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yup. Though they should simply have stuck with "The addition of a MoCA adapter may be required; see here for more info." (Or eliminate the caveat, altogether, since they covered it in Footnote #7.)

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I've had success with TiVo renewed boxes (and I'm not quite sure that they actually always are renewed, as vs. being brand new; this simply could be a different supply chain, to attract cost-conscious consumers--I've seen other manufacturers seemingly use this approach as well).

Still comes with the regular 30-day satisfaction guaranteed policy and TiVo's full warranty.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Footnote #6:

6 A TiVo-renewed product is a factory-refurbished device that is fully tested and certified by TiVo and includes TiVo’s standard manufacturer warranty.

10. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Is the latest version of the Mini?

11. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Most all electronic "refurbished" means they are dusted off and tested to see if they work. In almost all cases, if they don't work, I would think they are pitched, not worth messing with. Probably 99% are returns to TiVo or retail stores. I would not hesitate buying one if I needed one.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Simply to raise a data-point:

Last Summer, Ira Bahr of TiVo mentioned here in a Q and A that the Mini hadn't been refreshed in a while and that TiVo was looking to do so the first half of this year. There are 9 days left.

20 Questions with Ira Bahr - TiVo's Chief Marketing Officer

Who knows if TiVo will be doing so and, if so, what it will entail. Presumably, 4K support (as was discussed) and a faster processor.

Just wanted to put this out there.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm afraid it is.

14. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    Thanks for the heads up, Mikeguy, on the refurb Mini, I will order it tomorrow. I was needing a new Roamio power supply as my refurb Roamio shiped with none. Fortunately, I had a 12V 2.5 amp in one of my junk drawers. I was on that page, too! I just didn't scroll down far enough.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you're looking to buy one of the renewed Minis, I wouldn't recommend waiting. Who knows how many they have to sell, and I expect that's a very attractive price point for Minis, given even Amazon has been holding to the suggested retail price for quite some time; witness Camel's tracking.

This doesn't seem right. Renewed/refurbished units should ship with the all the needed parts, unless maybe you're talking about some special arrangement with TiVo warranty service.

16. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I have no idea- the package said, no accessories included. The first girl said they would send me a refurb Premiere for $50 to replace my bad one, then 2 weeks later when I called again, they offered me a Roamio for $79.95- all to keep that $6.95/mo account active. I was going to shut it off, because of weak OTA tuners. Her name was Marcie, when I mentioned I had been to Cebu in 1998, she asked me , if I planned on coming back soon, Haha.
    added: I ordered the Mini.
    Owned a Series 2 since 2004 and the only time I ever received a Tivo email offer was in April $249 on a refurb Roamio OTA, which was sold out - the email was a few days old in my Spam- I checked and they did send me this summer sale at 1pm- not in my spam now

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Was this a recent purchase? If so, I'd telephone TiVo customer service about it--as mentioned above, I've never heard of TiVo selling boxes, including refurbs, without the power supply (and remote). It could have just been a packaging goof, and a new power supply (and remote) will be sent out to you.

And, yeah, TiVo's email marketing system seems to be, er, lesser capable than one would desire. Many people seem to only get word of sales through posts here or elsewhere. Do make sure that the TiVo website has your correct email under your account.

18. Gold51

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I'm not calling Tivo and have them tell me- "we goofed"- we shouldn't have swapped out your Lifetime Premiere for a Lifetime Roamio and only charged you $80! Whatever workaround they did in the PI, I'm happy with my new Roamio- I can afford $5.99 for a 12v PS- and shipped free with the refurb Mini I ordered.
    Yes my email is the same one as has been on my account since 2004- I suspect, that when computer systems were upgraded, guys life me, who had never ordered as much as a power cord from them, were not moved over to the new system's email sales list database. My Series 2 was bought at Best Buy, but I did set up an online account many, many years ago. When I talked to a rep in April, I made sure they had all permissions set for me to get mailings again- I was complaining about missing out on the April refurb Bolt swap out on Lifetime Series 2 boxes for $199 - I was on a rant about that. I told her, I will keep that Series 2 box hooked up until the day I die, or until you make me a swap offer- that you never offered me, like others got.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    So dumb question, are the FAQs correct, and it ALWAYS takes a tuner from a Premiere? I had thought that if you didn't actually use live TV, it wouldn't take a tuner.. but if it always does take a tuner, then that's a big deal.

I admit my use case is fairly small -- currently I have a P4 & Roamio Pro in my bedroom. I'm likely to finally get a big TV for my living room, and will move ONE of the Tivos there..

But I would REALLY miss not having QuickMode in the room that has the P4.. I _can_ (and often do) use QuickMode from my Roamio to my Premiere, so I presume that I could also do it from a Mini to a Premiere. Admittedly, that's a lot for one feature... But is slightly tempting, plus it would also have me use the same type of remote in both places. (I get used to whichever Tivo remote I'm using the most.)

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No, they probably just haven't updated whatever FAQ you're referencing. Dynamic tuner allocation is now used regardless of the host DVR model.