TiVo Summer Sale addition: Roamio OTA 48-hour Flash Sale.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Millionaire2K, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Roamio OTA 48-hour Flash Sale, only $299.99

TiVo DVR Summer Meltdown Sale 2017 - Buy Now and Save.

This sale keeps getting bigger and bigger. I wonder if we should expect anything else before it ends in 7 days.

Mikeguy and krkaufman like this.
  2. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
    I speculate it's been getting bigger and bigger because it's hardly been bringing them any sales.

alarson83 likes this.
  3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    I wouldn't call any of that a sale, really.
    Just trying to gain a ton of $$$ by artificially playing with #s

4. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Agreed. That's what I'd expect the everyday pricing to be.

5. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    so a $99 mini isn't a good price? What should we wait for it to hit before it's a good deal?

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This thread started by talking about the current deal TiVo is offering on a new Roamio OTA ($300), which is the best price TiVo has offered on this unit (the one with a 1TB drive) and normally lists for $400. If a 25% discount off the list price is a good deal or not is in the eyes of the beholder, but it is a 25% discount.

The Mini is a little different, new they list for $150, the deal however is for a renewed unit at $100. So TiVo is offering a 33% discount but the unit is renewed. Again if that is a good deal is in the eyes of the beholder, but is as good a deal as I remember TiVo offering.

TiVoEvan74 and Mikeguy like this.
  7. series5orpremier

Jul 5, 2013
    Nobody has ever disputed that buying now is better than buying when the price is higher. However, what's going on here is mostly an old marketing trick. Suggested retail "list" prices have been jacked up over the last couple of years (lifetime $50-$100 (10%-20%) for new subscribers and $150-$200 (37%-50%) for old ones; and for an inferior product). The OTA has gone up $100 (33%). Yes, it now has 1TB rather than 500MB, but 1TB now retails for less than 500MB did a couple of years ago. This in spite of technology pricing in general being flat with customers getting a little more performance for their money over time. So people who need TiVo equipment on a moments notice have to pay through the nose. Then, they put on a sale like it's a huge favor but all that happens is there's a temporary rollback to what the price was before it was jacked up.

I bought a new OTA two years ago for this same price. I bought two new Minis (not refurbed) over two years ago for this same price. I have two years of amortization on all that while this technology is now two years closer to being obsolete with whatever direction the broadcast standards take. Not to mention the refurbed OTAs many of us got on Cyber Monday for $200.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    twhiting9275 likes this.
  8. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    ^^ exactly the point I was trying to make ^^

I've been a TiVo subscriber for years now, and this isn't a 'sale', not by any stretch of the imagination. This is them artificially inflating prices to sell you a service which is ridiculous

They're after more up front cost, which makes me wonder why. It's definitely not a good thing.

The last TiVo on sale I bought was the Roamio, during their thanksgiving sale 2 years ago. Refurbished, ran $120 . Still kicks ass today

Before that? S4, paid $450 new in 2012.

Nothing they have out there on 'sale' is even close to a 'sale'

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The OTA with lifetime at $300 is a good deal. That's cheaper then it's ever been even on Amazon. And it's a nice unit if all you want to do is record OTA.

$99 is pretty good for a refurb Mini too. I think previous sales always had it down in the $120 range.

TiVoEvan74 likes this.
  10. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 TV Buff!

Nov 17, 2006
    No OTA unit is ever worth $300

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's less then a Tablo or Channel Master with service.

slowbiscuit and mdavej like this.
  12. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If that is the way you feel then don't buy one, but if someone actually wants an OTA DVR they are not going to find anything equivalent to a Roamio OTA for less.

Being able to watch TV on my schedule and skip or FF through commercials has significant value to me and it certainly is worth more than $300. Over the years I have had 7 TiVos, other than the one that was a gift all have cost me at least $300 to use over their lifetimes (most I had lifetime on but not all) and all of them were worth their cost to me.

TiVoEvan74, slowbiscuit and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    The commercial skip feature on the Roamio is of great value to the wife and I .

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry but, you're just wrong. Paralleling old DVR ads, I'm now in charge of my TV, rather than the other way around.

15. sjmaye

sjmaye Techie Wannabe

Aug 28, 2003
    Hendersonvil...
    Just my $0.02. Combining the pushing of sales and especially a lifetime service (which mean nothing if Tivo folds) along with some of the talk of whether Rovi wants to quit building hardware ( I can't remember where I saw that, but i did) reminds me of a VOIP company I once had. Just days before going belly up they were selling lifetime service.

Just my $0.02, but I am not biting.

16. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Since I bought my first TiVo in 2005 and joined this forum people have been posting about TiVo failing and lifetime becoming worthless. While that is certainly a possibility, the probability of that happening actually was significantly reduced last fall when Rovi bought out the old TiVo and formed the new and current TiVo.

The current TiVo is financially stable and not reliant on the sale of stand alone DVRs at all for financial success. Which simple means that even if TiVo exited the stand alone DVR business there is no reason to not expect them to continue to minimally supporting the existing units by at least continuing to provide guide data. While we may find the quality of the our current guide data lacking, TiVo is now actually in the business of providing guide data to other companies and makes money doing it. So continuing to provide it to existing stand alone units would cost allot less than dealing with the litigation dropping support would cause, plus they have something like 5 million Premiere and Roamio units deployed to cable operators that are the exact same units we own, that there is no way they could financially decide to stop supporting.

In the end worrying about future events that one has no control over is a waist of time and energy.

If someone wants/needs a TiVo DVR buy one, if not don't.

17. NoNose

NoNose It's complicated...

Nov 27, 2015
    Orygun, USA
    Is this an "All In" deal? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in the ad. All of the other offers are pretty clear that they are lifetime, but not for this Romio OTA. Did I miss that?

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    When you add it to your cart it shows All-in service plan Free.

Scott

19. NoNose

NoNose It's complicated...

Nov 27, 2015
    Orygun, USA
    Hey thanks. Strange they didn't make that clear up front.

20. eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    TiVo Roamio OTA is only sold with the All-In service plan.