Tivo suggestions thumbs down/up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Expidia, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015

Advertisements

So if I give only "1" thumbs down on example "beach volleyball"
    will i not get "any" beach volleyball?

Or will this not put on my tivo suggestion list "any" sports.

At how many thumbs down will it take to start eliminating all sports related shows . . . two or three?.

I do want sports stuff to get listed, I just want to tell it when say I see like a curling show listed and give it 1 thumbs down it says dont send me anymore curling shows. If I went two thumbs down, I'm afraid it wont send me anymore sports stuff.

I'm figuring if I as an example: 3 thumbs down on judge judy I wont get "any" judge type shows correct?

Like I like family guy but if I give the cleveland show or american dad a thumbs down . . . will it not send me family guy?
    I'm guessing two thumbs down and it would not continue to send me family guy either.

Whats your experience on how to train tivo suggestions (great feature so far by the way).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Just start with 1 for everything, meaning one up and one down. Then add additional ones to refine as you see the results, the suggestion algorithm is not as linear as you are thinking. Review thumbs once in a while to keep things aligned.

I only give three down for things I hate and know that I would hate anything similar. Infomercials are really the only thing I use it for.

3. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Turn it off.

I loved it. For a while. Then the programs got so backed-up that there was no way I could store it all much less view it all. So I turned it off.

I still play with the thumbs so maybe I'll turn it on again to see what it thinks I might like. It is a great feature.

4. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Nope. Suggestions do not take up capacity on the drive. They take up "free space" and there are no impacts on wishlists and 1Passes.

5. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015

Advertisements

Funny story - I started with 1 up or 1 down and I wasn't seeing any change in what it was suggesting. So then I changed to 3 up and 3 down and then the suggestions were mostly reruns of shows I liked. Now I am finally starting to vary the ratings to see if it can make good suggestions. Jury is still out.

One odd issue I have noticed with having two roamios is that it sometimes records the same suggestions on both of my roamios even though they do not share any one passes or thumb ratings. It's a little annoying and makes me feel like there are some shows that tivo is suggesting on purpose for promotional reasons. So I end up giving a kids show 3 up on the kids roamio and 3 down on my roamio so it gets the hint. Not an issue except when they record TVMA shows as suggestions on my kids roamio. Apparently suggestions are not impacted by parental controls.

6. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Every time you tell the tivo to record a show without any thumb ratings it gives a single thumbs up. So, you could end up with more similarities than you realize.

7. thefisch

thefisch Member

Jul 25, 2015
    I am aware of that, but none of the same shows have been recorded on both boxes. I also did a clear and delete thumb ratings and I also regularly check the thumb ratings from the option in the suggestions folder. Both these boxes are on the same account and we sometimes stream shows between them via our home network. Perhaps that influences suggestions?

8. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    I thought it might get backed up too but one nice feature is you can just press clear going down the list and an x pops up on left and automatically deletes it. takes a few seconds to clear a page that way. So far I can manage the list as it stopped sending me stuff I dont want by using the thumbs down.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    That could very well be. Who ever reads their subscription agreement anyway?
    That would be a powerful marketing tool in that for a fee they could pump out a particular movie, tv show etc to every tivo owner all at once :eek:

Dont give them any ideas :rolleyes: