TiVo Suggestions Poll

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by MikeekiM, Oct 11, 2019.

Do You Use (or Turn On) TiVo Suggestions?

1. Yes, I have it turned on and I regularly watch the content suggested

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Yes, I have it turned on and I occasionally watch the content suggested

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Yes, I have it turned on, but I rarely/never watch the content suggested

11 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. No, I have it turned off

70 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I have seen a lot of threads on TiVo Suggestions, but I can't find a poll... If I have posted a redundant poll, please feel free to ignore this and let me know where the poll thread is...

Or perhaps it is time for a refreshed poll on this topic.

Anyway, I recently turned off TiVo Suggestions (this morning, actually) after looking at the 345 recordings that it thinks I would like. And yes, some of it I guess I would watch. But most of it was useless stuff that I would never watch. And I also don't make it a habit of going into my suggestions to see if there is anything interesting to watch anything anyway.

As a result, I decided to reduce the disk reads/writes on my hard drive and just turned suggestions completely off.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I think that the poll results may differ greatly depending on whether one is on TE3 (on which Suggestions can work well :cool: ) or TE4 (on which Suggestions, well, er, doesn't o_O ).

As to the amount of read/writes, does Suggestions make any difference? Even with Suggestions turned off, wouldn't they still be occurring for the tuner buffers instead?

pj1983 likes this.
  3. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I've never been interested in 'suggestions' so have always had it off.

But the discussion of it always reminds me of Spence on 'King of Queens' - "My Tivo thinks I'm gay!" :D

4. weaver

weaver Member

Feb 27, 2004
    New...
    I have turned suggestions off since my DirecTV Series 2 days.

Diana Collins likes this.
  5. muzzymate

muzzymate Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Cleveland
    I turned off Suggestions in TE4 when they removed the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down behavior. Not being able to offer any input, I would find that the TiVo would end up recording 10 to 20 episodes of multiple shows I didn't like. I literally had no way to tell TiVo, "No, stop wasting your time with this show!" It quickly changed from being my favorite feature of TiVo to the worst.

shadowplay0918 and caughey like this.
  6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Poll needs an option for:

"Sortof, I used to have it turned on and I regularly watched the content suggested - until the suggestion engine went to hell, it's been useless since".

I did like the feature. I used it for 15+ years. For me, it worked well - for me.

In it's current form, it's utterly useless - for me.

pj1983 and Mikeguy like this.
  7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Suggestions do not put any additional wear on your hard drive. I'm not sure why anyone would think that, as the buffers are always buffering (I'm ignoring any power savings modes). Suggestions just allows the tivo to go ahead and keep some of the buffer that you may fine interesting.

No issues with folks who don't use them. Just pointing out the fallacy of hard drive wear increasing due to suggestions.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    I have them turned off on my main viewing TiVo in the Living Room, but have them on for my other two lesser viewing area TiVo's (Basement, Bedroom).

9. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

sharkster likes this.
  10. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I turned them off during my TE4 testing because they sucked ass, but I like them on TE3 - they generally find shows I like, at weird times where I wouldn’t catch them. Only issue is that because (obviously) my viewing habits across both my TiVos are so similar, they often record the same things in both suggestions folders. I’m actually thinking of turning them off on one to avoid it.

11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    For all the "TE3" folks.. I'll bet your running windows Vista pc? Maybe KitKat or iOS 4? TE4 works fine for me and at some point, TiVo will probably dump support for your ageing firmware. If your a die hard TiVo user, at some point you will need to move to the dark side...

NEXT.. I don't see the poll asking what version of TiVo you are using.... Or does TE3 show hidden messages on the screen...

You know you want a TiVo Edge

Having fun yet?

12. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    You are trying real hard to wind people up, and I respect that.

That being said, TE3 is still under maintenance so saying it’s like Vista is being disingenuous. It’d be like using Windows 7 in 2017 - it’s not the newest, but it’s still actively supported and patched for security. Sure, in time they’ll force a migration (and hopefully by then they improve TE4 performance) but why do it before we have to?

And for the record, I’m running Windows 10, and iOS 13 on my iPad/iPhone.

pj1983 and Mikeguy like this.
  13. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    TE3 will be around forever because it’s the last software version supported on the Premiere. And the Series 3 HD has 11.0n.K1 as it’s last software update.

As for TE3 the current 20.7.4.RC42 came out in May 2018 and more than likely will be frozen in time.

jrtroo and Mikeguy like this.
  14. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Like most others, I turned it off a long time ago.

15. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Where is the question, If it worked for you, would you use it?

16. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    My vote should go somewhere between frequently and occasionally. I rarely, but occasionally, check the suggestions and find something. My wife, however, checks suggestions whenever she wants to find something different than what has already been recorded intentionally.

I don't understand the reason why someone wouldn't have suggestions turned on. In effect it doesn't take any disk space that would be used for scheduled recordings. What is the downside of having suggestions turned on?

17. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    For me it was clutter. I tried it for a few days almost two decades ago and found zero reason to have it around.

weaver likes this.
  18. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Clutter? It's one line in the My Shows (or Now Playing) list. Hardly clutter, IMO. You think that is clutter but prefer TE4 with tiles spread all over the place. To each his own I guess.

jrtroo likes this.
  19. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I get what you are saying... However, there's a little more clutter than the one line... If you have a season pass (or a one pass) on a title, and suggestions also records rerun episodes, those extra recordings show up in the title's grouping...

20. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    That's true, but only if there is a scheduled recording (not just suggestions) in the grouping as well. Not a lot of clutter as far as I'm concerned. Still a lot less than TE4 clutter. But then I don't go batty over a one line ad on the Tivo Central screen.