TiVo Suggestions in SD

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by dleb12, May 17, 2015.

1. dleb12

dleb12 New Member

May 16, 2015

Advertisements

Hi -

I used to own a Series 1 and 2 years ago. After upgrading to the X1 set top box a year ago - I can't stand the sluggish UI, locking up, and rebooting cable boxes. So, I decided to come back to TiVo and got myself the Roamio Pro.

That being said, I forgot about TiVo suggestions and I really loved the concept. It is what exposed me to shows that I never watched before. However, today with HD channels, it seems that all of the TiVo suggestions are recording in High Def.

I double checked and made sure that my One Pass/Recording options were set to Always record new shows in HD.

I read elsewhere on this forum to remove the SD channels from the lineup. However, let's say hypothetically that I had a TiVo mini in the bedroom hooked up to a non-HD TV. If I remove my SD channels, wouldn't that mean that my non-HD TV wouldn't be able to watch TV as it could no longer tune into the SD channels? (unless I manually type in the numbers as I change channel).

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You got it....

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Hypothetically, you should get a cheap HD TV for your bedroom and not worry about this. But yes, hypothetically, you won't be able to use the channel up and down to surf.

4. dleb12

dleb12 New Member

May 16, 2015
    Thanks to both of you. I guess it's time to upgrade that last TV. :)

Removing the SD channels from my lineup now.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

We watched HD channels for a number of years on a 35" CRT with our S3 OLED TiVo's before finally upgrading to a 65" plasma. Is there something about the Mini that would prevent this?

Scott

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    No, you can just set the output resolution to 480i/p and it will downconvert the image to SD for your older SDTV. The only issue may be aspect ratios wherein you'll get a letterboxed picture on HD 16x9 channels on your 4:3 SDTV. You can distort the picture by chopping, zooming, etc., but that's not ideal.

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Right, we watched them letterboxed during that time.

Scott

8. dleb12

dleb12 New Member

May 16, 2015
    Haha.. this one is good. Out of the 100 or so channels I have mapped, I apparently left one SD behind. What does TiVo do? It gave me only one suggestion in the past 2 days and it's on the only SD channel I didn't remove.

Bwahahaha.. I think my TiVo is messing with me.