TiVo suddenly not changing channels correctly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by usmaak, Jan 17, 2006.

1. usmaak

usmaak New Member

Dec 14, 2004

Advertisements

Hi,

This just started happening tonight, on two different TiVo boxes. Both are series 2. One is a 160 gig and one an 80. Both have 7.2 software. Each one is connected to a Motorola cable box through a serial connection. I have had both of these units for over a year now and both have operated well.

I had one Tivo set up to tape Rodney on channel 7. When I went to start watching it, the cable box was on channel 8, so I missed the first half of the show.

I had the other TiVo set up to record Supernatural. When I went and checked on it, it was taping channel 12. It should have changed to channel 9. So I missed the beginning of that show as well.

Not sure what's going on here. In my year plus of TiVo I've never seen this happen. I taped three or four shows last night, watched them all tonight, and they were all what they were supposed to be. It's just a little freaky that this is happening to two TiVos at the same time.

The only similarity that I can see is that each one was already on the correct channel when it started to record. So it somehow changed the channel to something incorrect.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks

2. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The cable company might have decided to disable serial control. I've read of it happening here before.

If you call they'll no doubt recommend you rent their DVR.

3. usmaak

usmaak New Member

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm able to change the channel using the remote, so the serial port must still be active.

4. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    You could always try a new guided setup which in its last steps goes through the tedious process of switching and you confirming various channel changes (with latest software).