Tivo Sucks !!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ukaussi, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1 of 69
    ukaussi

ukaussi New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Ladera...
    Tivo refuses to do anything about my Tivo software being corrupted by latest download because it is not their responsibility as it is a Toshiba box.

what a bunch of asshats

I have had TIVO's for years and this is the way I am treated.

Goodbye to you all and good luck as I have cancelled all the accounts

2. Sep 7, 2006 #2 of 69
    bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    Ok, goodbye.

3. Sep 7, 2006 #3 of 69
    DTSDude

DTSDude New Member

May 24, 2006
    Why not learn how to reload it yourself?

4. Sep 7, 2006 #4 of 69
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005

What's so wrong with calling Toshiba for support for a Toshiba box? I would love to complain to the light bulb company that produces the bulb for my 61 inch TV but JVC made my TV.

5. Sep 7, 2006 #5 of 69
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Did you call Toshiba, search for a solution yourself or just come here to ***** like a little girl?

Its a fairly easy problem to fix and if you want you could take this time to upgrade your recording hours as well.

Instead you just post here all EMO instead of looking for answers.

6. Sep 7, 2006 #6 of 69
    ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    He also posted at the end of a four-page thread of people having hardware problems with the SD-400. This is Toshiba's problem.

7. Sep 7, 2006 #7 of 69
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Lots of the Toshiba SD-400 units are dying. My Tivo Series2 is much older than the Toshiba and hasn't had a single problem, but the Toshiba's hard drive is on the verge of death.

8. Sep 7, 2006 #8 of 69
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The latest download didn't corrupt your software.

The hard drive crapped out.

What a crybaby.

9. Sep 7, 2006 #9 of 69
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    My kids use the SD H400 and it is working like a champ still 12 months later. I have it on monthly and after the next round of TiVo boxes into our house expect it to go back to TiVo basic and enjoy a long life as a manual recorder adn DVD player :up:

I have the hard drive image backed up already so I do not have to cry if the hard drive goes

10. DLL66

DLL66 New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    TN
    C-YA :rolleyes:

11. samo

samo New Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Littleton,...
    TiVo software upgrades are known to kill some small number of units. It happened with every upgrade starting with 1.1. TiVo always claims that upgrade had nothing to do with the problem and fault is with the hardware.
    So, even if unit was manufactured by TiVo you would have to pay for refurbished unit (unless it was under 90 days warranty). Of course you can try to fix your unit yourself by replacing the hard drive, but I can understand your frustration. Why should you pay and/or spend time fixing something that was working perfectly fine before the software upgrade? When TiVo just started, they would replace damaged units for free (but would never admit that problem was caused by upgrade), but they stoped doing that years ago. They could offer you something just to keep you as a customer, but TiVo CS has never been known as consumer friendly (except for about a year after TiVo was introduced in retail).

12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No offense, but what are you looking for? Sympathy? You won't gain it around these parts by starting a trollish, inflammatory thread.

If you're looking for help, there are plenty of folks here willing to provide it.

This whole idea of people coming here and creating topics like "TiVo Sucks!" with "I'm cancelling all my accounts" in the body of the message is really ridiculous.

Think about it:

If you want help, ask for it. People are anxious to help.

If you don't, then your post serves no purpose, because no one will care that you're cancelling your accounts.

13. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Under the current Ts&Cs, if you are currently in a 1-year or greater commitment period with TiVo for service, for a TiVo-branded DVR(e.g. not the Toshiba), the parts portion of the warranty is extended to the length of your agreement.

http://tivo.com/5.11.6.asp

That obviously doesn't help the OP any, but considering the various other negative points the commitment requirement has, at least new subscribers get a little bit of insurance for their money. They still have to pay for labor, of course.

14. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    They may even be right, in a twisted sort of way.

Someone told me recently that disk drive manufacturers quote unrecoverable bit error rates of one in 10^14.

If one of these errors hits your video or audio, you probably won't notice. but if it hits the upgrade image, the box is probably toast.

assuming a software image of 10^8 bits, where corruption of any one bit turns the tivo into a brick (not strictly true but good enough for estimation purposes), that would mean that merely from disk errors you'd expect one upgrade in 10^6 to go kablooey.

now, there are extreme measures they could do to harden the upgrade against this kind of thing but given that other failure modes probably kill far more boxes it might not be worth it to them in terms of spending engineering time to improve reliability.

15. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    There is a difference between a small number of units dying after an upgrade takes place and the upgrade actually killing the unit.

Its important to make that distinction because the statement you've just made is that it implies (or could be inferred) that the death is a function of the software, when its not - its the hardware.

There is just as good a chance that a unit not receiving a software upgrade will die at the same time as a unit that does receive a software upgrade because a defective hard drive is a defective hard drive; its just a question of when the defect causes the failure.

16. Vroomfondel

Vroomfondel New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Deleted comment - not worth responding to such an infantile post.

17. DTSDude

DTSDude New Member

May 24, 2006
    And as a side note , this is why I only by products from the the original producer. Like how I can't buy an ATI card not made by ATI.

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Guess now you'll buy them from AMD instead. ;)

19. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Do you call Microsoft when your computer breaks?

20. ukaussi

ukaussi New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    Ladera...
    If it is the software, YES