Tivo Subscription - Best Option?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by WizarDru, May 19, 2011.

1. WizarDru

WizarDru New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Malvern, PA
    So, these new options kinda confuse me.

I currently have a Tivo HD and Tivo Premiere. I pay $12.95+$9.95 monthly. I'm about to move, so it's time to review my Tivo service.

I'm debating if I should switch the Premiere to Lifetime for $499 or not. For that matter, I'm wondering if I should just upgrade to a second premiere and retire the HD for the same price ($399+$99).

I believe that my current plan will last until 2013 (I bought the premiere in August and had them fix my multi-discount a few months later when it got confused).

$500-$1000 is hard to swallow, even if it does make sense over three years. The question is, what makes the most sense?

2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think you have to decide if you would benefit from the upgrade. If not and you are month to month, you might as well keep it the way it is until the Premiere offers something you want or need.

If the Premiere does offer something you want over your current TiVo HD, I would upgrade and go with lifetime on the new TiVo. I would keep month to month on the old Premiere since you already have the hardware and the lower monthly fee. Also you will now be stuck with the higher lifetime fee so you might as well apply it to the cheaper hardware at a discount.

Also with the new lower fees you will recoup your costs quicker so lifetime isn't as big of a risk.

2 years of the Premiere at the $14.99 price you pay $460 which assumes you paid full price for the hardware.

Lifetime with the Premiere assuming same cost on hardware you pay $500 or an extra $40.

Of course with Amazon sales this price will be even lower, currently $85 and $241 for the XL.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It seems Tivo has decided to raise the subscription rates as of, I think May 18th. Lifetime was 399/299, after May 18th, 499/399.

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    My account now shows I can buy a lifetime Premiere for $499. So instead of switching, get a shiny new one, and keep the old or sell it. Keep for parts/drive, or sell for beer money.

5. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Product lifetime service makes the most sense. You can get a Tivo Premiere with product lifetime service for $500 or less. You should be able to re-sell a Tivo Premiere with PLS for about $300.

Thus, the break even point should be calculated based on purchase price less salvage value. At a $200 spread between buying and selling the Tivo, you have a 20 month break-even point even at the quite low $9.95 per month you would get with multi service discount.

Any monthly fees you pay before purchasing PLS are just throwing away money.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I went over the Tivo Service plans last night.

Starting May 19th.
    For the Premiere/XL, 19.99/14.99 MSD /monthly with 1 yr commitment.

For all other Tivos, its still 12.95/9.95 MSD monthly with no commitment.

Lifetime subs are 499.99/399.99 MSD for any Tivo.