TiVo Stuck Forever Trying to Dial in Guided Setup Mode

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by drmikela, Feb 22, 2007.

1. drmikela

drmikela New Member

Sep 7, 2006

Advertisements

A few days ago, I got the dreaded "TiVo hasn't downloaded program info in 28 days, program info set to expire" message. So I did what I've been doing for the past several months whenever I get that message: I went back and did a guided setup. (A tip I learned here back in September -- <a href="http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?postid=4345129#poststop" target="_blank">see here</a>.)

This time, however, it couldn't even dial in for the Guided setup. I got a "P07 -- Could Not Connect" message. It then gave me just two options: Either try again, or change phone settings. (It wouldn't let me go back to the main menu.) So I went through the phone settings options, and then it gave me just one choice -- try phoning in again.

So I did. Still no go. Once again, it then just gave me two options: Try calling again immediately, or changing phone settings.

Yup, I seem to be stuck in some netherland where TiVo demands I try over and over again to dial in during guided setup.

So I unplugged the machine. Then later plugged it back in. Once it powered up, TiVo immediately sent me to the Phone Settings option (specifically, the screen where you enter your zip code). No pinball machine TiVo icon graphics, nothing. So again, I'm stuck in this world. Can't get out of it.

Is this the end? Is my TiVo officially fried? Will I ever be able to retrieve the programming that's still sitting there, somewhere, on the hard drive?

For the record, I own a Sony Series 2 TiVo (7.2.2-oith.01-2-110); it's an 80 hour model (with lifetime subscription) that we've had since November 2002. Please tell me there's a way to save it!

2. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    There's no way to exit GS without making the call, but even if your modem is fried you should be able to connect using broadband. If you don't have broadband, take the unit to somewhere that does and hook it up to the network.

3. Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Or you could buy a hard drive replacement and join the world of 8.1!

4. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    Just so you know, this site uses UBB code and not HTML tags

Sorry, never used dialup, except the first time I setup my S2. Always used broadband connection.