TiVo stuck clearing data; Another TiVo repeating guided setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rebaguy, Jul 2, 2020.

1. rebaguy

rebaguy New Member

Jul 2, 2020

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're having a bad couple of TiVo weeks here. My series 3 HD-XL crapped out (believe it needs a new power supply because it was making a high pitched noise). My partner brought his TiVo Premiere Elite (TCD758250) down since he'd cancelled cable anyway. Apparently when he cleared it, it got bricked. It is stuck on the clearing data screen. TiVo support has been no help. They say its a known problem and offer no other support at this time.

Next up, some friends gave us their TiVo Premiere (TCD746500) a few years ago since they cancelled cable. We turned it on and got it setup with service from TiVo. Waited the 24 hours for activation. It shows activated on the website but when you got to the TiVo central screen it still showed that the box needed to be activated. It was trying to download an update very 15 or 20 minutes. It got through the downloading process and then seemed to crap out during the update process and would restart. This went on for 48 hours. TiVo support gave us the run around again. I finally went in to erase everything (worried it would brick like the previous TiVo). It came back to life and got to guided setup. Now it connects for updates during the guided setup, restarts just like before after connecting, then starts back up to the start of guided setup again. it does retain the zip code I put in though.

Do you think erasing and putting a fresh image on the drives may fix these issues? I have downloaded the MFS tools iso and have a bootable version now. I'm guessing maybe I can find the codes I need to reload. I just need fresh images to try. Can someone share them?

Premiere Elite is TCD758250
    Premiere std is TCD746500

Thanks for any and all help!

2. rebaguy

rebaguy New Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Also, I want to add that I did try to the kickstart codes to install a fresh OS, and also tried the network install option. I cannot get either to do this. They will go in to the SMART check though (code 54) which shows the drives are good on at least the quick checks. I didn't not leave them for the long test at the bottom of the screen.

3. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    A new image will fix both.
    Your partner's one was bricked due to an issue in the CPI/TDL / CDE routine that hoses disks. The only fix is another image.
    The other one (746) sounds like it was on too old of a TiVo OS version (pre-Rovi) - enough significant structural changes have happened since that they are unable to self-update in Guided Setup. A new image will fix it too.

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Images sent. Use DvrBARS to restore them.

5. rebaguy

rebaguy New Member

Jul 2, 2020

Advertisements

I was able to reimage both drives with DvrBARS. Super easy. Thanks so much for the help!

6. Gary Dsiney

Gary Dsiney New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mead, WA
    hi rebaguy. How did you get DVRBars to load and run on Windows10?

7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I got it running by right-clicking and use Run as Administrator. In addition, due to the way it probes drives, you need to disconnect ALL external "disk" type devices - USB drives, SD card readers, printers with memory-card slots, etc and only have the TiVo drive connected when you run it. Otherwise it won't start at all. That's what got me - I figured my external hard drive would be OK, but it would not start until I disconnected it.

8. Gary Dsiney

Gary Dsiney New Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mead, WA
    tired to backup old premier drive but DVRbars popup said MFS corrupted. So I had to stop trying to recover the drive. Now I have a new drive same size but am unable to write image to it. Help needed Please!