Tivo Stream

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Mar 23, 2019.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

I understand my Roamio Plus has Tivo Stream built in. What exactly does that mean? Can I Stream to something other than my phone? Like an app on Roku or my Samsung TV? My laptop?

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Theoretically, laptop, yes, via TiVo Online and your preferred web browser. Also to compatible iOS & Android mobile devices (smartphones & tablets) via the TiVo mobile app.

But ... not YET to streaming boxes such as Rokus, Fire TV, or Apple TV. (see here)

See @Dan203 's TiVo Stream FAQ >here<.

3. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I don't know Roku if it has the TiVo app yes.

Laptop on your home network, yes.

TV with Android and the TiVo app yes.

Samsung TV - NO! Samsung TV uses Samsung's TIZEN OS and there is no app, the built in Samsung Web Browser is not capable of streaming. You can mirror your phone/tablet screen to Chromecast.

You can stream non-copy protected content away from home on your phone/tablet with the app.

The built-in Steam device in the Roamio is like the stand alone device in that it can manage for streams/ only once out of home. The TiVo Bolt device built in Stream only supports two active streams. No extra sub required for using thei

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Uh, what?

No TiVo app is available for the Roku platform, as of today.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

If it wasn't clear from the context, Roamio Plus|Pro and TiVo Stream support 4 concurrent mobile streams.

I'm not sure the max streams numbers, 4 and 2, also apply to out-of-home streaming; the BOLT was previously restricted to a max of 1 OOH stream. Also, out-of-home streaming is only available on iOS devices when connected via Wi-Fi, not cellular. (again, see Dan203's FAQ)

edit: p.s. These same limits will apply when the streaming box apps do become available and begin to compete for available mobile streams.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  6. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    The streaming limits I stated - 4 for Roamio and stand alone and 2 for Bolt on home network are 100% accurate. I also stated that both are limited to only 1 ooh (since you are clearly a nit-picker-1 ooh decreases the in home limit concurrently by 1), also 100% accurate.

7. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    As I stated I didn't know Roku, as I don't use it, don't care to, not really interested in it. Your reply came off as well, you should have replied to OP not me.

Your OCD obsession of a simple and clear mobile device auto correct typo is bothersome.

Please go away.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The errors in your post go far beyond auto-correct, and blaming auto-correct is Lassie.

This is gibberish and easily corrected:

"it can manage for streams/ only once out of home"​

Except you didn't make that statement, at least not as it was posted to TCF.

e.g. Even now you continue the errors. Only the BOLT is limited to 1 OOH stream. I welcome any reference (i.e. not an assertion) reeducating me on the Stream OOH limitations.

Not sure why you had to take some basic, necessary corrections so personally.

------
    SIDEBAR: ACA-sanctioned plans are required to include MH treatment.

fcfc2 and JoeKustra like this.
  9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The OP didn't make an erroneous (though effectively unintelligible) statement.

If you don't know the Roku, "yes" probably wasn't the answer to go with.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's probably a good implementation decision by TiVo, rather than randomly decreasing available streams at some point after the mobile session has completed.

But, to be clear, it doesn't change the "limit," it just decrements the available streams. The concurrent stream limit is still 4 or 2, depending on the transcoding device. ;)

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Thanks or all the input. It seems I have to record a show in order to stream it. I guess that "grabs" the tuner. ??

PCurry57 likes this.
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, though a Mini can grab a tuner without requiring it to be recording, so it's a mystery why the mobile streaming transcoding process requires this for a live stream.

That said, demos of the upcoming TiVo app for set-top boxes indicate the app will be able to stream live TV without the need to initiate a recording (or is hiding this step in the process), which gives me hope that the TiVo mobile app will benefit (in a number of ways) from the release of the new app.