TiVo Stream Obsolete?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by atlynch, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dec 4, 2017 #1 of 31
    atlynch

atlynch Person

Jan 7, 2005
    Sunnyvale, CA

Advertisements

I've replaced my TiVo Premiere's with a couple of Bolt+. Does my TiVo Stream serve any purpose now?

Thanks,
    -Drew

2. Dec 4, 2017 #2 of 31
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They bring a high price on eBay.

3. Dec 8, 2017 #3 of 31
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Hey Drew, I have an OTA Roamio and just started to look on eBay for a Stream. If you'd like to sell your Stream, just shoot me a PM and maybe we can work out a sale.

4. Dec 8, 2017 #4 of 31
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, you could do a bit of testing to determine if the Stream can provide access to shows on your BOLTs; if so, the Stream could still be used as a backup, or to get around the concurrent stream limits of the BOLT mobile streaming chip.

5. Mrnaturl

Mrnaturl New Member

Dec 18, 2017

Advertisements

And what are those limits, for those of us not in the know?

6. Mrnaturl

Mrnaturl New Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Just found out today they were discontinued. Wanted to get one to stream on my phone while the wife is mall shopping.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Bolt can only stream two shows concurrently and I believe only one out of home. (although that could have changed in the recent software update) But no matter what the Bolt can never stream more then two at a time as the chip it uses is limited to two transcodes at once. The chip in the standalone stream can do four streams at once.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    There's always eBay.

Scott

10. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Not anymore, today they boat anchored it

Sent from my SM-T817P using Tapatalk

11. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Today they boat anchored it, no Android or iOS devices working today.

12. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Today the stand alone became a boat anchor, albeit a very tiny light weight boat

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Is the Stream officially killed-off, or is it just not working across the board as of today?

I see this new thread you started: TiVo has completely Abandoned the Stand Alone TiVo Stream device

(I could see them getting desperate and disabling mobile streaming if they're looking to protect their IFTTT and Super Bowl experiments, though I'd hope the Stream wouldn't be too much of an overhead burden on the mothership/cloud.)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  14. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    I just tried and it's no longer working on my iPad. This blows!!!. It stopped working on my windows 10 computer for quite some time now. But it looks like they've made it worthless.

Richdmoore likes this.
  15. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I think it's time for Class action. Deceptive trade Practices. We've invested thousands of dollars in equipment and subscriptions for them to brick these devices and not even be straight up about it. Tech support lead me through the troubleshooting steps unplug power, reboot router.,. Total deception then when they said oh it doesn't support Android I asked for supervisor that's when I found out they abandoned it.

Razzer, Richdmoore and mdavej like this.
  16. Richdmoore

Richdmoore New Member

May 24, 2015
    I understand when companies stop updating older tech, although I don't like it. What I don't understand is why they would discontinue service for this, yet keep Roamio TiVo’s with the internal version still working? Also, why not at least give an advanced warning email or message, especially right before the Super Bowl, one of the biggest live sports events in North America?

Tivo should attempt to at least make this somewhat right with a discount on a tivo mini, or allowing us to transfer lifetime service to new tivo with a built in streamer to restore the removed functionality. I doubt they will however.

I really feel sorry for those who have recently purchased this setup, most of us who have had a tivo a couple of years can at least justify the high cost of tivo because we have been able to save cable/streaming tv fees for long enough to break even.

Razzer and PCurry57 like this.
  17. PCurry57

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    While I was never enticed to a Bolt device because the extremely limited 4K content sources I agree, an EXTREME DISCOUNT for a Bolt in exchange for my Stream and one of my lifetime DVR'S. A year and a half ago I bought their white sale refurbished Roamio OTA plus three years extended warranty part of that decision was that it worked with my Stand Alone TiVo Stream device.

I'm wondering if the loss of functionality might be a claim on that warranty.

18. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Seriously TiVo?!? My parents just called today....they have two Roamio Basics and a Stream. Stream dead as of today. What a S**T move by TiVo. Can't say I'm surprised though. Think I'm more surprised each day I wake up and they are still a company to being with.

JBDragon and Razzer like this.
  19. MoBoost

MoBoost Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2007
    I just got off the phone with Support. They made it sound like this was a temporary problem that would be resolved in three to five days. I too am unable to stream to my iPad.

JBDragon likes this.
  20. Jim1348

Jim1348 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2015
    Thank you for the update. I have a Stream and was also unable to watch using this. For whatever it is worth, I really have never cared for the Tivo Stream all that much. I didn't desperately need it when I bought it, but I thought that perhaps others around the house would use it, like my wife, but she has really had zero interest in it.

On the other hand, I have used the heck out of my well used Slingbox PRO-HD. I like it so much, that I also bought a Slingbox 500 a couple of weeks ago. I run a Tivo Mini through it and they performs very well together!

This is the message I get:

Problem Playing Show

An error occurred while playing this recording.