TIVO Stream not working with android phone

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by Miativo, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Miativo

Miativo New Member

Oct 23, 2016

Advertisements

Tivo of stream set up with my bolt and works fine on OS (mac) but sporadic or not at all on my android Samsung cell phone and kindle.

Both are running current operating systems. Samsung phone is using 6.0 android.

Is there something I can do to make it work on my phone?

2. Nov 1, 2016 #2 of 15
    LI-SVT

LI-SVT Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I have lots of trouble with my Moto X and TiVo Stream combo. OTH is a no go. Some shows will play for a few minutes then I get an error. Other shows crash the app as soon as I select them in the play list. I had the same problems with my Galaxy S5.

3. Nov 3, 2016 #3 of 15
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    My Stream works well on my LAN, meaning at home, inside the home. This is a HUGE problem because I can't play back the shows I transferred to the device unless I have access to internet to LOG IN, again. So, even transferring shows is pointless when I want to watch wihtout internet connection. Pretty pathetic of the Stream. I'll have to perform the confusing fix for this once again, and all I really want at this point is for my transferred shows to playback with no internet connection. Slingbox for streaming

4. Walter Grossman

Walter Grossman New Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Is Slingbox any good? Should I send back my software-broken Stream?

5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015

Advertisements

Slingbox is great outside of the home (much better than Stream), but pretty kludgy inside. It's worth trying to get your Stream working before resorting to that. First make sure it's activated on your account, or nothing will work. Then a few reboots should get it to update, assuming your router gives it an IP.

If that doesn't do it, the Stream itself has a webpage interface where you can force it to connect and update (http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:49152/sysinfo) (replace with its IP on your LAN, then click Service - Call Now). Check your router's DHCP list to get the IP. Once all that looks good, you can retry the smartphone setup.

My Stream was a few years old when I got it and was running very old software. It updated to 20.4.9 just fine.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  6. Walter Grossman

Mar 16, 2017
    Thanks mdavej. I will definitely try that. BTW, How did you find that web page? I looked for something like that. Also, why didn't TiVo tech support tell me? As you can tell, I am pretty upset that I have a $130 worthless box that Tivo said will remain worthless until sometime in April when the new software comes out. Even the April timeframe I had to squeeze out of them.

I prefer not to go with Slingbox. I have nothing against Sling, just having another provider complicates my life. Simple is good.

Currently I am running v19.XXX on the Stream. It dies in connection whether I use iPad or Android. Maybe v20 will work.

7. Walter Grossman

Mar 16, 2017
    Yes, I saw this page. As you see, I am on software 19.0.1.RC1-01-6. As you also see, no update is available!

Any other ideas? Also, what is "Silverstreak?"

upload_2017-3-17_10-29-43.png

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Did you try Service - Call Now? That should kick it into gear, assuming you did activate it on your account.

I did a lot of digging to find that page.

Old software does indeed say "Silverstreak", new says "Tivo Stream".

Your issue is most likely due to the stream not being activated on your account (that's why I keep repeating it). That's the very first thing you have to do, then a hard power cycle or two.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  9. Walter Grossman

Mar 16, 2017
    How did you install the software if it says "update unavailable"?
    My stream is registered with my two other pieces of tivo equipment.

Strange though, one of the error messages I received was that the stream was registered in a different account. I see from my account that it is registered to the correct account.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I never initiated an update.

11. Walter Grossman

Mar 16, 2017
    Following your suggestion, I called Tivo. The bottom line is that I have a non-functioning box until the update comes out in April. Apparently, the issue is known. According to the tech, the problem occurs with random boxes. I just got "Lucky".

I think Tivo should be more proactive. Since I put my money up already, and they know it is an issue, they should advance RMA to me a working box.

Has tivo changed at all since the sale? For better or worse?

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sorry to hear that. But I'm skeptical about his response. I think it's worth a few more tries (confirm it's really removed from the previous account and added to yours, hard power cycle several times, force Call several times), or exchange for another where you bought it.

Rovi has done a lot of damage to Tivo, especially in terms of guide data. But we knew that was going to happen. If I were starting from scratch today, I wouldn't even consider Tivo. But I have a lot of money sunk into their hardware, so I need them to succeed for several more years.

13. Walter Grossman

Mar 16, 2017
    Following your advice, I returned the unit to best buy. I then bought a used one from ebay for $75. The seller says it works. Tivo'loss imho.

14. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    programs transferred to your device are indeed playable workout internet connection. This programs are stored under the on my device tab. When signing on fails because no internet it offers you opportunity to see programs on tablet/phone. Your comment that you can't watch downloaded programs workout network connection is not believable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T817P)

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Hope it works out. I bought at least 5 streams from eBay, but only one worked. Others were stolen cable company property. All sellers either didn't know what they had or lied about it. Find out if the seller originally got it retail, and verify the TSN with Tivo. Makes things go much smoother.

Mikeguy likes this.