TiVo Stream and TiVo Online

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by marcberm, Mar 21, 2016.

1. marcberm

marcberm New Member

Nov 23, 2014
    I currently have two (2) Premier two-tuner DVRs and a TiVo Stream. I've yet to experience any issues, however a couple of weeks ago, the stream quality via online.tivo.com degraded significantly.

Viewing is just fine on the television/DVR itself. Same goes for viewing via the TiVo app (at least on iPhone and iPad).

My problem seems to be related exclusively to viewing from online.tivo.com. Nearly every show has become unwatchable due to many, many momentary blips, freezes, and other video/audio anomalies. For example: temporary freezing of video for just a moment as audio continues, what seem like short breaks in video that come along (every several seconds) along with a corresponding disturbance of the audio.

The issue strikes me as some sort of problem or change with the online.tivo.com site itself, and the behavior almost seems like what you'd get with a bad or not-quite-right video codec. I am unsure what to believe - whether there's a problem with the Stream device, or it is something else entirely.

I have so far replicated this behavior in Google Chrome on both a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 PC. Microsoft Edge (Windows 10) tells me that my streaming device can't be found or that I'm outside my home network (I am not). Internet Explorer on the Windows 10 machine won't even load a video successfully, and just hangs on the spinning blue loading/buffering icon.

I have tried several times to repeat setup of the Stream via the iOS app to no avail.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or able to offer some insight and/or suggestions?

Thanks to anyone that is able to help!

2. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Other places to look for changes that affect other devices include router firmware, had it recently been upgraded, is it the latest. Microsoft and their more frequent security updates that in Windows 10 you can't say no to could also be causing issues. Have you installed any new software on your devices. Try turning off syncing for Google drive/photos, Dropbox, box, Idrive, onedrive, Amazon photos... These and anything running I the background can all interfere.

I've not experienced any degradation streaming on my notebook except when I had background operations running.

3. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I would just wait a few days before you do any troubleshooting. It's not just you having issues, and I think they may be working on a fix already tonight. My hunch is that there is a significant problem with the Tivo site and at least the latest version of Flash in Chrome and Chromium based browsers.

See another thread on this topic here.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=539143

4. plvick

plvick New Member

May 3, 2010
    This is exactly what is happening to me now. Hmm.

5. GPT999

GPT999 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    MN
    same problem here

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Use Firefox, or, with Chrome, turn off hardware acceleration. Should fix your problem.

7. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I'd already been trying turning the hardware acceleration on and off to test it since I started having issues, and it never made any noticeable difference for me up to this point. The choppiness is also not always gone in Firefox for me still, it is usually just significantly better than the Chrome based browsers...but not always.

One day it was working particularly strange. I was trying to watch it in Opera (same flash plugin as Chrome) and the video was horribly choppy. I thought I would try toggling the hardware acceleration, which didn't make a difference at all. But, just right clicking on the flash video to access the flash menu with the hardware acceleration option made the video play flawlessly. As long as I left that right-click menu open on the video it played perfectly. The second I closed the menu the stuttering resumed. I repeated this behavior with the same result at least 15 times during the video. I thought maybe this happened because accessing the flash menu also made the tivo player controls disappear and perhaps they were causing the stuttering somehow? But, the next day I tried the same thing and it didn't work anymore. Very odd.:confused: Even stranger....prior to that day, right clicking to access that flash menu would cause the video to freeze while the audio resumed.

It is hard to know for sure if any changes to the playback are caused by a change on my computer, their website, or the tivo itself.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Works fine for me with Firefox on Win 10 64-bit after updating Flash plugin to latest version.

9. Dulanic

Dulanic Member

Dec 15, 2015
    This has been happening here lately... something changed and I know it isn't on my side. I have 3 PC's and all 3 have issues now. 1 Linux 2 Windows. Router has been rebooted "just in case" but no help. The android app has 0 issues since it isn't use online.tivo.com.

10. mhalladay

mhalladay New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Arlington,...
    I'd been having this same problem, on a Surface Pro 4, which I'm seeing as a replacement for both my Android tablet and old Dell laptop; and turning off hardware accel. in Chrome settings fixed it for me...
    Surface Pro 4 is quite fast and capable; and now, I'm on the lookout for more and better Win10 apps (and not holding my breath!)

11. abeln2672

abeln2672 Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I hate to resurrect this thread from the dead, but is anyone still having this problem -- and/or figured out how to fix it? I've tried Chrome (with hardware accel off), Firefox, and Edge, have updated flash, done numerous box and router restarts, and my experience at online.tivo.com at home is still horrible. iPad works fine for streaming. Tivo support has been zero help, despite numerous contacts.

12. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    Still working poorly for me. Pretty much the same as it was before. It it not consistently the same level of dysfunction though. Some times it's choppy right from the beginning of the show, other times it starts off well and then gets choppy 10-15 minutes into it. I usually can't make it through even a 30 minute show without it freezing up or getting stuck at a certain point in the show where the skipping forward or back stops working properly. That usually requires closing the video, reopening it and then manually finding my place in it again. Still has the weirdness where right-clicking and leaving the flash menu open makes a choppy video play smoothly...at least until I have to undo it to skip commercials. All my browsers and plugins have gone through many updates since this started, and I think the Tivo software on the Roamio Plus itself updated at least once or twice also. I still have never had any issues at all with flash streaming video on any other website. I think something about the Tivo site's code doesn't like my computer or my network for some reason.

13. abeln2672

abeln2672 Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. It's good (but disappointing) to know that I'm not the only one -- and that you've been trying things for 6 months and still not figured it out. Guess it's nothing I'm doing wrong, or some update or tweak I've yet to make. Doomed to watch choppy, skippy shows over streaming unless I use my iPad, I suppose. :-(

If anyone has figured something out, please do post back...would be appreciated!

14. Dulanic

Dulanic Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I THINK the software update I got today on my Roamio fixed mine. It works on my phone now at normal quality, unfortunately cant check online.tivo.com as it just gives me this error when logging in.

500 Error

The server encountered an error. Please try again later.

15. OhFiddle

OhFiddle Active Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Chicago Burbs
    I thought mine was working better than ever a few days ago too, but I didn't get the software update until yesterday. The login problem is very widespread and people don't notice it until their login cookie expires and they try to login again and it fails. I can't login now, but the website was working better than ever for accessing my tivo box and streaming in the two days prior to getting locked out with the login issue. I speculated that perhaps it was working so well because so many people were unable to use the site and it drastically reduced the load on the servers for those of us that were still able to access it. Could just be a coincidence though.

16. abeln2672

abeln2672 Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Really appreciate the heads up! Definitely worked MUCH better today after the update a couple days ago. Here's hoping the quality keeps up and I don't experience the log-in issues :) Thanks again...

17. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    Slight thread hijack, but when did they add the ability to watch directly from online.TiVo.com on a web browser? I just noticed this and was pleasantly surprised (although the quality is not great).

18. Dulanic

Dulanic Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Maybe it was a fluke, but it is looking like crap again and skipping again.

19. JBDragon

JBDragon Member

Jan 3, 2004
    Fairfield, CA
    I just did a 100% clean install of Windows 10 on my computer for a few issues I've been having. It hasn't helped at all for my with my Tivo Stream. I try watching something and it's just skips all over, and video quality isn't very good, it's not at all watchable. Does it work for anyone running Windows 10? Tivo has known about this problem for a few months at least now and still no fix.

All I can say is good thing I just went ahead and got the SlingBox M2 for $99. I wish I didn't have to spend the money for it since I had spent the money for the now worthless Tivo Stream which I like better when it worked as it was much faster and easier to get around and there was no Ad's. The Slingbox lags getting around using the dumb Tivo Remote on screen to control things. The Tivo Stream is so much better, but right now it's just not watchable. Not on my clean install of Windows 10 even!!!

20. Dulanic

Dulanic Member

Dec 15, 2015
    I don't think it's a windows thing. Mine used to work fine on windows 10 till one day it started skipping like yours. It effected 5 different PC's or devices.

I still truly think tivo broke something for some of us.